Do you ever worry about developing throat cancer from HPV from oral sex?

greta96

I will preface this by admitting I'm a hypochondriac and OCD about illnesses such as cancer and HIV, so I often get fears related to potential future events that may occur.

But lately, since the whole hoopla about HPV started and new research appeared regarding the link between HPV and throat/mouth cancers, I've been worrying that I may have been infected and I may eventually develop something bad.

I have had unprotected oral sex, and back then it was touted to be "safe sex" for those who wanted to stay virgins, or avoid becoming pregnant, etc. We just didn't know better. There was no talk of HPV causing cancer, the only stuff you could get from oral was gonorrhea, chlamydia and other treatable STIs. Then appeared the link between HPV and cervical cancer (still not the scariest, because Paps detect cell changes and one can get treatment before something worse develops), now for the past 4-5 years they are finding that HPV is even more dangerous than first thought. There's no test for anal, vulvar, throat/mouth cancer, so you only know you have it when it's already late.

Obviously I can't go back in time and redo what I did, and I can't get tested to put my worries at rest either, because there is no test for that. I feel cheated in a way because the "all clear" myself or my sexual partners ever got was actually not clear at all, since there are no tests for HPV, which turns out sometimes can be fatal.

So those of you who have had oral sex at different points in your lives, do you ever worry about the potential consequences? How do you deal with it? Any words of wisdom to put my worries at ease?

it's natural to worry just check the symptoms or if you really do feel that worried go see your dr or gyn and they'll put you at ease

when you go to the dentist they're also looking for signs of mouth cancer they don't jus took at your teeth

I just don't worry about it. I did some research about a year ago when I started to have casual sex, and my chances are really quite low. To me, I'd rather risk it then suck on a condom (think about all the chemicals in the condom!). I do other things to take care of my mouth and throat, the occasional blow job doesn't seem like a big thing to stress over.

I agree that the risk is minimal but I'd avoid having casual oral sex.

I should clarify that by casual, I don't mean I'm having sex with a different guy every week, it's just outside of a committed relationship, but with the same two guys for several months now. One says he has slept with someone else, the other one *claims* that he hasn't, which I honestly believe to be true. If I was hooking up randomly at the bar, I'd be more hesitant to give out blow jobs. Then again, drunk guys at the bar tend to taste like ***** when you get down there!

I should clarify that by casual, I don't mean I'm having sex with a different guy every week, it's just outside of a committed relationship, but with the same two guys for several months now. One says he has slept with someone else, the other one *claims* that he hasn't, which I honestly believe to be true. If I was hooking up randomly at the bar, I'd be more hesitant to give out blow jobs. Then again, drunk guys at the bar tend to taste like ***** when you get down there!

I meant the same exact thing -I'd avoid oral sex out of a committed relationship or at least monogamous where you've both been tested adequately. I don't think it's worth the risk (not of cancer actually but everything else -especially if you want a family the last thing you need is to test positive for STIs).

I meant the same exact thing -I'd avoid oral sex out of a committed relationship or at least monogamous where you've both been tested adequately. I don't think it's worth the risk (not of cancer actually but everything else -especially if you want a family the last thing you need is to test positive for STIs).

That's the thing that worries me - if there are no HPV tests for men, how can one know he doesn't have it? He can test negative for all other STDs, but he may be infected with HPV and not even know (I'm not talking the HPV that causes warts). Even if the relationship is monogamous/serious, any guy who's had sex with someone else before may be infected, even if the sex was years before. It only takes one person to infect you.

Or maybe I'm not getting my info right?

I know the risk is theoretically still small, otherwise 70% of the population would walk around with HPV-caused cancers, but still...scary stuff.

There are so many other things/ways that you are likelier to die from than this that you've really lost perspective. And the assumption that you are at super high risk just because you've read about it happening to someone else are all about being OCD and a hypchondriac than any real likelihood of contracting cancer from this.

It is well known that young people in med school and interns always go for the worst case scenario and assume they have all these exotic illnesses (or their patients do) just because they've read about them. So they get a twinge and immediately jump to an assumption that isn't based on any reality, just fear. After they become more experienced, they quit overestimating chances of having all the possible diseases one can have and start looking at the clinical evidence to see if the person really has something rather then jumping to wild conclusions just because they've read about the various and many different things that MIGHT happen to someone.

The same should apply to you. If you are going to die from this (and odds are infinitessimally tiny that you will), then if it is from something in the past, it is already too late so why worry about it? Just use common sense and if you ever do develop any disturbing symptoms, go to the doctor for diagnosis and treatment. So many cancers these days are so treatable, so you're writing yourself a death sentence based on no evidence at all, just OCD and fears. And cancer treatments are getting so good these days, that many forms of cancer are basically curable if you exercise caution and go to the doctor if you have any symptoms.

Here are things you are far more likely to die from that people do every day... smoking (worst of the worst), drinking too much, worrying too much, eating horribly, stressing themselves out, driving when drunk (car accidents), etc. So you are as they say straining a gnat and swallowing a camel. This is a waste of your time and really not healthy for you to obsess about this. Get your OCD treated so you can live a happy life and not cower in fear of things that may or may not happen, and that have a very small likelihood of happening. Use caution in your sexual choices, and protection, and you have an extremely high chance of living a long and happy life.

As I think a lot of the folks have alluded to, there are so so many things that damage our bodies just as a "normal" process of our being alive. For example, GMOs in food, radiation from the f_u_k_ushima (I needed to add the underscores because the system deletes the first 3 letters) nuclear plant in Japan getting into the food and water supply in North America, skin cancer from the sun, etc., etc. I think it is a matter of balancing risk with quality of life. Does your quality of life require that you go skydiving everyday? Probably not. But, to have a full sex life with a special person or persons that you want to be intimate with, isn't that important for you and your special somebody's quality of lives? Yes, HPV can lead to cancer. Look at Michael Douglas. He got cancer of the mouth and he publicly announced that it was from giving oral to a woman or women. If I were to guess, if he had to choose to go back in time and either 1) never be able to give or receive any oral pleasure; or 2) enjoy life of oral sex but repeat the same risk of getting cancer in his mouth again, my guess is that he would choose #1. It's a huge part of foreplay and sex for many people and is enjoyable. For example, I could not even imagine not including my giving oral to my wife as part of our sex life. I think she would be unhappy and disappointed if I did not want to include that as part of our love making. Isn't it worth a bit of risk while also being prudent on your medical checkups, lab work, etc.?

I don't engage in casual sex of any sort, I don't even kiss people I'm not in a relationship with. I guess there is always a risk but I am okay with it as I am good about check ups and I also have had very, very few partners.

I also have gotten the shots that help prevent cancer from the most deadly strains of HPV. It's by no means fool proof but they do work. I got them as a teen and got all the boosters.

I'm a lot more worried about other things in life that we consume or are around often that can make us sick or dead. My boyfriend's penis is not one of them.

Sent from Tapatalk

Greta you really need a human condom like you said in the other thread Greta where does all this paranoia and fear come from? You are not getting throat cancer just because you've given a few BJ'S in your life that's just insane. You need to find a way to live life to the fullest without worry, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow for all you know but I bet you won't so why worry so much about things you can't control?

-- This is off topic, apologies, but it is really cool all the amazing talent people on this site put into their profile images. ALovingKitten, this is also an incredibly impressive image. I was just staring at it for a while because it is such a great piece of art. (I love cats and have cats and thus that one particularly caught my eye. It's just amazingly creative and well done.) --

I have only had unprotected oral and intercourse with one person so no I don't worry about it at all. We are committed and monogamous so its never been a worry for me.

I would never have unprotected casual sex or oral though if I was single. Casual sex has never appealed to me in general so again I wouldn't worry

I have only had unprotected oral and intercourse with one person so no I don't worry about it at all. We are committed and monogamous so its never been a worry for me.

I would never have unprotected casual sex or oral though if I was single. Casual sex has never appealed to me in general so again I wouldn't worry

Well, the guys I did it with were my boyfriends at the time, we were even living together, but as I came to find out later on, they were players and had had many other partners before me.

Greta you really need a human condom like you said in the other thread Greta where does all this paranoia and fear come from? You are not getting throat cancer just because you've given a few BJ'S in your life that's just insane. You need to find a way to live life to the fullest without worry, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow for all you know but I bet you won't so why worry so much about things you can't control?

Yes I do need a body condom

I know most of my fears are caused by hypochondria, so I have to figure out a way to deal with that. Unfortunately counselling is at least $100/hour and I would need multiple sessions, and I have no insurance so I can't afford to shell out this kind of money out of my pocket..

Most people who have been sexually active at any point have had HPV given to them. The difference is most peoples body fights it off naturally and gets rid of it.

Only a very small percentage of people were not able to fight it off, and that's when it can cause damage years later. Just a little information underneath for your information.

Note how rare it is for there to be any problems?

"Human papillomavirus (pap-ah-LO-mah-VYE-rus) (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted. Almost every sexually active person will acquire HPV at some point in their lives."

"There are more than 40 types of HPV that can infect the genital areas of males and females. These HPV types can also infect the mouth and throat.

HPV can cause serious health problems, including genital warts and certain cancers. There is no certain way to tell who will develop health problems from HPV and who will not. In most cases HPV goes away by itself before it causes any health problems, and most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it.

HPV is so common that nearly all sexually-active men and women get it at some point in their lives. This is true even for people who only have sex with one person in their lifetime.

Most HPV infections (90%) go away by themselves within two years. But, sometimes, HPV infections will persist and can cause a variety of serious health problems.

link removed

As it says, most of the time it will go away on it's own. I think you're focusing on the wrong parts and you're letting your hypochondria take over.

If you have regular smear tests, and you're living a healthy life, then it will help your immune system.

If you have problems with HPV then it's more likely to show itself in the smear test and not throat. Throat cancer is rarer than the cervical cancer i believe.

Unless the DR is worried, then i don't believe there's any reason for you to worry. Easier said than done i know.

Limiya

As it says, most of the time it will go away on it's own. I think you're focusing on the wrong parts and you're letting your hypochondria take over.

If you have regular smear tests, and you're living a healthy life, then it will help your immune system.

If you have problems with HPV then it's more likely to show itself in the smear test and not throat. Throat cancer is rarer than the cervical cancer i believe.

Unless the DR is worried, then i don't believe there's any reason for you to worry. Easier said than done i know.Limiya

Thank you for all this info! You're right, as far as I know throat cancer is much less common than cervical, and I do think I have a strong immune system, so I hope even if I got it at some point, I have cleared it by now.

I just wish having sex carried less risk

Thank you for all this info! You're right, as far as I know throat cancer is much less common than cervical, and I do think I have a strong immune system, so I hope even if I got it at some point, I have cleared it by now.

I just wish having sex carried less risk

Having sex in a monogamous, committed relationship where you trust each other has a very low risk of STDs. That is why my doctors always asked me during my annual whether I still had the same partner, to decide what type of testing, if any, to perform.

Archived