Meeting the Parents - advice needed

LadyJD

Hello, I'll keep it short. Been with my boyfriend for a little over 6 months. He said "I love you" about a month ago, I responded back. Everything is great.

My parents really want to meet him but I haven't met his yet. They live in A city about two hours away by plane. I hear you are supposed to let the guy introduce you to his parents first otherwise it freaks him out, is there any truth to this? A few of my friends believe this and tell me to let him bring up me meeting his parents before I ask him to meet mine. I don't know if my parents being in the same city as me and my bf makes our situation different.

I'd like to know what others think. Thanks!

I brought it up theoretically. But, as a woman who is interested in marriage, I am not afraid of these conversations. It's a matter of how you approach the conversation.

I think you need to first assess what you want. Do you actually want to meet his parents before he meets yours? If so, do you guys regularly talk about future plans together? So, you might say something like - I'm planning on seeing my parents while I am on vacation. They'd really like to meet you. Would you like to come with me?

He hasn't met my family. He and I both live in the same city as my family. His parents are in NYC.

I am just wondering if meeting the parents is one of those things that guys like to be the first to initiate. Much like they say a woman shouldn't say "I love you" first because it will freak out a man if he's not ready, is meeting the parents the same type of thing, should I wait for him to say he wants me to meet his parents first?

If I'd worried about my husband freaking out, we probably would have had several years delay moving from friendship to relationship.

Your bf has already said the big words - somehow I don't think telling him your parents want to meet him will freak him out!

Archived