Babysitter's Background

indea08

Wanting to see what others think...

If you just found out the person who has been babysitting your young child smokes weed regularly and sells it, would you be pissed??

I do not smoke weed, I think it's wrong because it's illegal. I don't hate people who smoke but I'm not okay with it being around my baby. Needless to say, I'm PISSED.

I would say, it's okay REGARDING this person does not bring weed anywhere near your child or smokes it around your child, or before minding your child.

Have a chat with the babysitter and establish these rules and let them know how serious you are about it. If they are broken then you can dismiss. If you're not comfortable about this dismiss them, but if you know they are capable of doing a good job and you like the person and your child likes the person there shouldn't be a problem.

I know a lot of dealers and they are all wonderful caring people, it doesn't necessarily establish a weak character though I agree there are quite a few people that you would not want to mix with. People have their own reasons for getting into it. There's a lot of prejudice about weed. In my opinion it is on the same level as alcohol. The only difference is alcohol is legal and weed isn't just yet. That will change in the future though as people are becoming more educated about it.

Think about it this way, if your minder brought alcohol with them while they were minding your child how would feel/ if you knew they drank and sold it outside from minding your child how would you feel. You wouldn't want someone that was tipsy minding your child. Competence for the job here, is key.

Nope, I would not use them. If they want to smoke pot on their own time fine, but dealing is taking it to a whollllle other level. I wouldn't trust who might be showing up at my door and being around my kids when they stopped by to pick up their baggie when the babysitter decides to make a bit of money on the side while she's making supper for your kids.

Man, just typing that freaks me out. Get a new babysitter.

Thanks everyone. I definitely won't be letting her babysit anymore and I will tell her why when she asks. I still can't believe it...I didn't even believe that she smoked cigarettes when someone told me because she's just not "that type".

I tend to be a little "harsh" when it comes to weed. I try to accept that it's becoming more common, but I just can't. It's illegal and any decent employer will drug test you and I think it makes people look/act stupid. I didn't want to get overly pissed, but I appreciate the support. Thanks again!

I think as parents we want to be sure that the people we entrust with our children are not altered by some chemical while they are caring for our children. That is just entirely common sense. So no I don't think you are overreacting to be angry about it. As parents it is our job to care for the well-being of our children and not worry about somebody else's feelings when it comes to that. So you're doing the right thing by having her not babysit again .

On one hand, when me and my friends smoked, we would never do it near children. That's basic common sense and weed doesn't stop you having that.

On the other hand, dealing is a bit more serious.

Agree 100%.

The point at which my employer knows about it is the point at which I have let my behavior impact other aspects of my life.

And dealing is a felony. Knowing about dealing, if one "knows" firsthand, makes one complicit. There is no option now.

What did you ask her about her background? What did her references say? I would be upset at the situation but if you didn't ask her questions about her lifestyle/background then she may have thought you would be ok with her living her life that way just not in front of your child.

Thanks everyone. I definitely won't be letting her babysit anymore and I will tell her why when she asks. I still can't believe it...I didn't even believe that she smoked cigarettes when someone told me because she's just not "that type".

I tend to be a little "harsh" when it comes to weed. I try to accept that it's becoming more common, but I just can't. It's illegal and any decent employer will drug test you and I think it makes people look/act stupid. I didn't want to get overly pissed, but I appreciate the support. Thanks again!

It's not illegal where I live and most consider Google a pretty good place to work and they don't test and people talk about smoking openly there. As long as she's not stoned when she's working I think it's fine and frankly not even your business.

It's not illegal where I live and most consider Google a pretty good place to work and they don't test and people talk about smoking openly there. As long as she's not stoned when she's working I think it's fine and frankly not even your business.

I agree with you, in general, with two exceptions. How does the OP know-- if other than in casual conversation, than it has already interfered in some way. It is likely illegal where the OP resides, and if it isn't, selling it certainly is.

For context, I won't let cigarette smokers babysit my kids. It sets an example of smoking as normal, even if the smoker doesn't do it around them. Kids know EVERYTHING. they smell skin, clothes, cars, hands, breath. Kids know their loved ones as well as any intimate lover would know their muse. Smoking anything is bad for the body, and babysitters - full time ones that are like nannies, have an extraordinary influence on a child. So, no smokers of any kind.

Nope. I would find someone new to watch my kids. It would be like if I found out the baby-sister had a problem with alcohol and was buying it for his/her younger siblings. The risk of the baby-sister having impaired judgement while watching my kid would be to great for me to set aside.

This may sound weird, but look into getting a Mormon baby sister. They avoid just about everything (even caffeine), tend to come from large family and thus usually have experience working with small kids, and I have found, generally, to be some of the nicest people on the planet.

Archived