Following Ex's Facebook Activities Delays PostBreakup Recovery

This article posted on enotalone ( ) sites a study indicating that checking up on an ex's Facebook page can disrupt your healing. This is something we say all the time ... but it's nice to see some scientific evidence supporting that theory. Read this if you need inspiration to help you block your ex on Facebook!!!

True...I deactivated my fb account 2 years ago and have not went back. At some point you need to love yourself and take care of your emotional well being. Stalking an ex only drives a person to despair.

If you stalking your ex you may want to ask yourself why you do not value yourself enough to take care of your emotional well being and healing.

For anybody who is reading this and considering looking at their ex's Facebook/social media: I STRONGLY urge you not to do it!

Take it from someone who was caught in the cycle of feeling weak, looking at ex's Facebook, get sad/upset at what I saw, vow I would never do it again, feel strong, feel weak, look at ex's Facebook... Rinse and repeat.

I was caught in this cycle for months and I am clawing my way out trying my damn hardest to move on.

I am now over 12 months post breakup and because I could not control the urges to look at Facebook, I am still trying to recover.

Take it from me: nothing good comes from it. Nothing.

I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I once was, but Facebook definitely set me back each and every time.

Thanks for the article/info Darce.

It's true...Facebook will only hurt you during a breakup. I deleted and blocked my ex from day 2...but I had the misfortune of running into her OKC profile right around Valentine's Day last year. She even used a picture that I took of her (one that had once framed and given to me as a gift). My heart was crushed when I saw that. It was almost like I was going through the breakup a second time. Fun times. And like an idiot...I looked at her profile a few more times after that. But since then, I've blocked her there too, and I'm not even on OKC anymore.

Point is...after breaking up with someone...you need to completely purge them from your life...on and offline.

Actually staying NC was something I never struggled with. Never stalked or anything like that because it hurts too much, it's gut wrenching. I also now hate social media such as facebook and whatsapp because they are the main tools for cheating. Of course they are not to blame per se but they provide the perfect way to do it.

This week I read a blog on Forgiveness on Baggage Reclaim (one of my favorite post relationship sites to read). Within the blog it discussed holding on to feelings of anger and resentment after a break-up and whether or not true forgiveness was possible or premature. For months of no contact with my ex I was angry, bitter, and resentful. He had ended our relationship for another woman and what hurt me at first had left me feeling bitter and broken in the months following. After reading that blog post and discussing how the act of true forgiveness works, I decided to see if I was truly ready to forgive and move forward with my life without being angry at him still. So, for the first time since September, I looked at his Twitter and I searched for his new GF's (or who I thought he was seeing anyway). Apparently she had deleted her Twitter (or changed her name) and there had been no evidence of him or her even being together, in the past or the present. No pictures together (that I could see), no comments or kissy faces, nothing. I know this could've gone one of two ways, but it really made me feel better to know the outcome of everything. I truly didn't miss a thing honestly and it helped me let go of the anger and bitterness of the story I concocted in my head. I do not plan on speaking to him ever again, nor do I plan on unblocking him on anything, nor will I check his page again after this "slip-up" but it wasn't a setback for me and it cured my curiosity. I'm definitely against checking up on your ex directly after a breakup but doing so sort of helped me jump this hurdle into my recovery.

Blocking my ex(es), good and bad, on Facebook is the best thing I ever did. It gives you the full privacy to grieve in peace, at your own pace, with hugely reduced curve balls, until you begin to get better in your own time. Hard at first for about a week, or more depending on length of relationship, but what is a habit becomes familiar, and I really don't need to be in any kind of contact with them. Sometimes it's lonely, sometimes it's boring, but that's just 2 minuses of single life anyway. But what I like is that you don't know about them, but also they don't know about you either. Can't see you sloping around the house in your sweats on a bad day, feeling blue, dishes in the sink, needing a shower at some point... Or your good days either of course. It's all your time to do what you need, privately and as you please.

This is so true. I stalked my ex and it has set me back many many times. Now, every time I get the urge to check his fb, I ask myself am I strong enough to know about his new gf? My curiosity is not worth the pain it will give me.

We're broken up since Nov last year and I was very depressed. I had to take supplements to help me deal with depression. But I'm so much okay now. I only think of him once or twice a day and there is no more pain and bitterness, just normal passing thoughts.

The cure for me is time, those supplements I took, and not stalking him! The lessyou know, the faster you'll forget your ex

Archived