Using emoticons in online dating profile.

deejay74

Is it a turn off if one uses a couple of emoticons in the online dating profile?

I've heard mixed opinions on this.

I'm asking because I try to be funny in some parts of my profile. I'm a bit sarcastic so I feel if i don't but a " or at least an "lol" it may be taken seriously or misunderstood.

I definitely don't use text speak like "ur", "omg", etc. I use complete sentences, try to use correct grammar, and check my spelling.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't touch them on my profile. They are a distraction and can draw attention away from the message mid message. It is also known to come off as immature or inexperienced. Something I've heard from many women. Same goes for actual messages, I've toned my emoticon numbers to be more after she makes one, or casually when absolutely beneficial to the message.

You're better off focusing on uploading and linking a video or audio clip of you playing an instrument if you play one, or something short and sweet that can even be it's own conversation starter.

Sarcasm without the emoticons I feel is more 'classy' and tactful as well.

Nothing wrong with a couple of in a profile. It's only a problem if the thing you said wasn't funny but you still used a

This made me lol.

I just checked my profile...I only have 2 emoticons in it. I'm relieved, because I thought I had more. Phew!

Also, FlashEng, I agree with you...sarcasm without using emoticons as a "prompt" is more tactful. My profile has a bunch of jokes in that manner.

People put way too much focus on the little stuff. I just sent a text to a woman i used to have a fling with asking her to marry me right now ... why i did it.. i dont know... but i dont care. Have fun with it, worrying about the small stuff is not fun...

Oh she texted me back... looks like i am getting married, and she asked me if i wanted to stop by at the strip club first!

Archived