Another video - Exactly How The Media Affects A Woman’s Self-Perception

elsenyor

I'm no fighter of justice but randomly running into videos like this keeps challenging my notions of what I value as "beautiful".

My standards aren't those that the media sets but boy is it easy to get consumed by that type of thinking when it's all around you.

link removed

Just thought I'd share the video for anyone else who's interested.

Jeanne Kilbourne has been giving these "Killing Us Softly" talks for many decades. I remember seeing a film of the first one in a Sociology class in college in 1982 or 1983...and it was already a couple years old then.

Wrap your head around that for a quiet moment: 30+ years and this has only gotten worse over the decades.

Wow, great video. Thank you and I totally agree.

It reminds me of this video showing a model being photoshopped into "perfection" where a normally attractive woman is altered into a ridiculous plastic image.

I showed that video my sons and their friends and most agreed it was totally true, that the model was attractive to begin with and a complete barbie doll afterwards. The girls though, had a harder time with it and I remember one of my son's girlfriends saying, "I wish I looked like that." She wasn't convinced that what she was seeing wasn't normal and instead told me she wanted to be skinnier, like the after picture. What kills me is she's a really pretty girl and I'm not just saying that, she really is. But because she's not a tiny size 0 she thinks she's fat. It's really sobering to see something like that and you try to tell them they're fine but then they get images crammed down their throats every single day telling them they aren't. It makes me angry and sad at the same time when I see and hear things like that.

Jeanne Kilbourne has been giving these "Killing Us Softly" talks for many decades. I remember seeing a film of the first one in a Sociology class in college in 1982 or 1983...and it was already a couple years old then.

Wrap your head around that for a quiet moment: 30+ years and this has only gotten worse over the decades.

Yeah I think it has gotten a bit worse in the 21st century. Sometimes I think that the post-modern era has kind of gone 'retro' when it comes to this subject.

Exactly, as women now more than ever we are given the message that: a) you exist for shopping b) when you aren't shopping you exist for sex and to please your man and c) sex and shopping go together and finding a rich, handsome guy like the ones in these ads or crappy bestsellers is the best way to fulfill your role as a woman.

Don't believe me, go take a look at any magazine sitting in the racks of your local grocery store. We may not have commercials saying, "My wife, I think I'll keep her," now we have 50 Shades of Grey" on the bestseller list and being made into a film. I don't call that progress at all. Oh, and love how Lily Allen made a video pointing all these things out and yet gets accused of racism for having exotic dancers in her video while the original song that she spoofed doesn't get so much as a blink of the eye even though it's a song titled "It's hard out here...for a pimp."

Like Lily says, "Inequality is here to stay. Always trust the injustice, 'cause it's not going away."

Well, I've been on this earth longer than I care to mention, but as far as I'm concerned it has always been a man's world, particularly in this area. Sometimes I find it ironic when western societies go on and on about how backward some emerging economies are towards women when we have our own set of gilded cages for women.

Well, I've been on this earth longer than I care to mention, but as far as I'm concerned it has always been a man's world, particularly in this area. Sometimes I find it ironic when western societies go on and on about how backward some emerging economies are towards women when we have our own set of gilded cages for women.

I'm sure this isn't the case for all parts of the world, and I can only speak for myself as an American...but I believe women have come a really long way. There are almost as many women working at my company (an investment bank) as there are men, many of them in leadership positions. The salary gap between women and men has also been tightening.

Also, women aren't the only ones with body image issues. Men have it too, though they're not as vocal about it. While I work out and maintain my physique for myself, I do feel pressure to "be attractive" (hair, skin, weight, etc), and I know MANY other men do too. We just don't talke about it as much and I don't think that society puts as much direct pressure on us as it does women. But we definitely feel that pressure too, increasingly so, I would argue.

I completely agree with the MC. Rather than learn to accept each other with fat and other flaws, both genders are expected to offer a complete package. Men I know value and are attracted to women with a career, money, and worldliness, and the men market themselves similarly, with cooking skills.

I do think much of our dating behavior reflects confusion about our changing society (US). Both people in a relationship are being held to a higher standard, perhaps, so that each can qualify as parents, bread winners, travelers, and dating partners. I don't mind, but it is different than my parents' expectations for sure (m. 1951).

Also, women aren't the only ones with body image issues. Men have it too, though they're not as vocal about it. While I work out and maintain my physique for myself, I do feel pressure to "be attractive" (hair, skin, weight, etc), and I know MANY other men do too. We just don't talke about it as much and I don't think that society puts as much direct pressure on us as it does women. But we definitely feel that pressure too, increasingly so, I would argue.

This is true also. I think our civilization today places an overemphasis on looks and style above substance and smarts whether you are a woman or a man. And yes, in many respects women have come a long way from where we were, but I think we all still have a long way to go--both men and women.

Absolutely. I've read many articles that indicated the number of boys with eating disorders & body image issues has been rising for quite some time.

Not exactly the "equality" we need to be striving for, IMO.

If you do what a former dietician/ED counselor I used to visit told me to do - "follow the money" - I'd be willing to bet that rise in males developing these problems correlates with corporations all of a sudden realizing there was a huge, untapped market for "men's beauty and fashion products" if they could just make boys/men feel as inadequate as they made girls/women feel.

If you do what a former dietician/ED counselor I used to visit told me to do - "follow the money" - I'd be willing to bet that rise in males developing these problems correlates with corporations all of a sudden realizing there was a huge, untapped market for "men's beauty and fashion products" if they could just make boys/men feel as inadequate as they made girls/women feel.

This ^^. Corporations that make-up problems to make us feel inadequate and advertise their products to "fix" us. I listened to a really interesting documentary about this a few months ago. It all started in the 50's with deodorant (I think it was deodorant but can't remember). If I find it I will post it.

Archived