Fiancé job advice please help

I am new at this so let me explain to you my situation. I am 22 years old. I am engaged. I am currently living with my fiancé at his parents house which is about 10 minutes away from my parents house. When I moved there out of my parents house that was a big thing. But let me get to the point here. My fiancé applied for a job at espn. He recently did a phone interview and now he got an in person interview for next Wednesday. Espn is about an hour and 40 minutes from where we currently live. It is in another state. I have not yet told my parents that he got the in person interview. My dad has no idea at all. (He's the one that had the most problem with me moving 10 minutes away.) Anyway I mentioned to my mom last week that my fiancé had applied to espn in Connecticut and she basically was not happy at all. She said things like "why can't he find something here?" And "your cousin moved to Connecticut for a job and now she moved back to New Jersey" I feel like she's trying to make me feel guilty in a way. So basically I am terrified to even mention this to my father. But there is a very good possibility that my fiancé may get this job. I just don't know what to do or how to tell my father. I feel like this would be a very good opportunity for my fiancé and I to start our lives together. But then I keep thinking what my father might say when I tell him and how he may react to it. I just do not know what to do at this moment. Some advice would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Part of getting married is you and your husband are now adults and make decisions that are appropriate for you as adults, and NOT decisions driven by being CHILDREN of your parents and satisfying their wishes.

So no, don't let your mother sway you. Sounds like a fabulous job and really stupid to turn it down so that you can hang around baking cookies with your mother like a child. If you're not ready to leave your mother and put your husband's needs first, then you're not ready to be married at all.

there's a reason they call it cutting the apron strings, and you need to do it and start your life as wife to your husband and not obedient/dependent child to your mother.

your parents sound selfish and controlling. I am guessing you did not have much if any life experience because your parents coddled you.

You are 22 years old it's time to live your life not what your parents want for your life...

Time to be an adult and talk to them like an adult. Do not be afraid

Good luck with them

I think you should wait and see if he gets the job, but this is really a decision you and your fiancé need to make, not you and your parents. In this economy, you have to go where the jobs are, particularly if you are in a specialized field. Which it sounds like your fiancé is.

Archived