Just wondering

Stephanie28

What makes us want to live? Seriously, some people have everything they want and still feel life is hopeless, others have nothing and want to live forever, people feel they have to find their soulmate and if they get dumped they dont want to live anymore. Why? I have felt these hopeless feelings while dealing with an unexplained painful illness, but i still dont understand. The feelings didnt go away but i dont think its good to dwell on it so i try not to. But if your not doing anything good with your life or even get to do things that make you feel alive, what keeps us all going? Afraid of death? Im not, but ive decided that you dont get to choose when you leave this earth, even a sucessfull suicide i think is only ducessfull because the Great Physician said ok, i dont want anyone to kill themself, i know not many people are probably curious in the way i am, im no better or less, but is it just the way we were made to keep humans on earth so we dont die out because we didnt get what we wanted or what?

I think everyone will give a different answer to this question for me there are two reasons to live: 1) You never know what is around the next corner. As bad as things can get, the very next day might turn them around 2) I'm not convinced there is an after life. Right here is now is likely to ONLY chance I will get to spend time with the people I love, to laugh and cry with them, to help my nieces and nephews grow into upstanding adults, to tell them what they mean to me.

I'm interested in other peoples thoughts.

haha i thought of this a while back and thought exactly like you. I still havent figured it out but what i do know is i font care where i came from,why i am here, and where i am going. As far as i am concerned i am here so whether i evolved from an ape or was made by a god who cares. I just live life one day at a time because trust me i nearly went mad trying to figure out what i am here for. Just make sure you are happy with what you are doing. Personally i dont care about money,fame etc. I just like seeing my numbers go up each time i do powerlifting and increase my knowledge everyday. Enjoy life to the max not according to how everyone thinks you should enjoy it

Sometimes I get hopeless feelings where I wonder this question. I think historically many societies have been built on living for the purposes of serving God and raising a family...now people are more unique. I personally believe this is it as well, no after life, so I want to enjoy every moment and live the life I want.

I want to experience standing in the warm sun holding my love's hand, I want to experience having a baby, I want to experience grey hairs, I want grandchildren and travel and to taste the best pizza and have 40 year rock hard abs...this is my dream and it is what i live for.

“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you

right. Forget about those who don’t. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it.”

― Harvey MacKay

I'm sorry you're having to wonder this. I don't know what you're going through, but I know we all have times in our lives, sometimes decades where we feel hopeless and lifeless. In each moment here and now there is so much awe and wonder, so much to live for and experience. So much love. There's a lot to live for.

I'm linking here to a series "Cosmos." I think you might get something out of this first video.

I have never had dark feelings of hopelessness, and hope that I never experience them tbh, but there is so much to live for and feel good about. Family, friends, community, love. I think it is all about perspective, no matter what hardship you are going through, there is someone else going through an even worse situation.

A family member of mine traveled to a developing country recently, a country with a huge disparity between rich and poor. She figured that the poor people she would meet would be depressed or angry, but she was surprised because they were happy, they laughed with their friends, and they were always surrounded by their families. Family unity was paramount. We are a social species, we need to live for others, to help, give support/love/kindness to, and receive support/love and kindness from.

Archived