He feels like a brother to me! Help?

Tinkle206

Hello

I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years. I deserved more, I can see wasn't being treated right at all or how I deserved. Also he took all my energies and putting them as his own. I honestly felt suffocated in the end. Normally I am a strong character and I just bounce up and get on with things but this has knocked right off my feet in mind, healthy and stress.

My problem is I feel love and care for him like a brother. In a way my love is unconditional and so I feel so much guilt breaking up with him- questions I think about all the time are; will he be ok? I have hurt him have to help him; will he find someone else; will he end up alone; will he hate me. This obviously isn't helping my closure or helping me to move on. Today he said he stopping all contact he has to pretend I never existed and move on which is a good step going forward but how the hell do I get rid of these thoughts and emotions. I dont want to cry but I do, I want to sleep but I cant. It driving me round the bend; everyone i speak to says be positive; it get better but they dont say how. Does anyone on here have any advice?

Help???

Breaking up is never easy. The fact he wants no contact means he has accepted it and is trying to heal. Its a positive sign and he will be fine in time.

Stop feeling guilty. You have to put you first and your happiness. He wasn't treating you right and you deserve someone who values you, loves you and respects you

Maybe this is the kick up the a** he needs to become a better person for the next girl. You have thought him a valuable lesson

You cannot help him. He has to help himself. The best thing you can do for both of you is respect his wish for no contact and focus on yourself. You made a decision to end the relationship. This means that from now on you need to stop thinking of him as related to you in any way. Obviously, this cannot happen from day 1 as you have to break a 3 1/2 year habit much like quitting smoking. You need to focus on your life, which does not include him anymore. It takes time to adjust to your new reality. My only advice is that if you really want to help both of you, stay away from him and focus on your own present.

Archived