Lost my Voice and starting a new job where I have to talk....

I got a part time teaching job doing a 10 week literacy test preparation course and it starts tonight. This involves me talking A LOT. However, I woke up this morning and my voice was pretty much completely gone. I can make out a couple of squeaks that sound like words, but not much.

It's the first day so I can't really call in sick.

Any tips or tricks on getting my voice back by 5:30 today???

This happened to me on the day of my 'A' Level French oral exam! Can you beg, steal or borrow one of those clip-on microphones from someone? That should help the little amount of voice you may have.

Otherwise, use sore throat remedies and inhalations, all the things you'd normally use for a head cold/sore throat, and with a bit of luck some of your voice will have come back by the late afternoon. Somehow it's always worst first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

This happened to me on the day of my 'A' Level French oral exam! Can you beg, steal or borrow one of those clip-on microphones from someone? That should help the little amount of voice you may have.

Otherwise, use sore throat remedies and inhalations, all the things you'd normally use for a head cold/sore throat, and with a bit of luck some of your voice will have come back by the late afternoon. Somehow it's always worst first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

They don't have the microphones sadly I have drank a cup of neocitroen already and it kind of helped, but it's still not really usable for 2 hours straight. Fingers crossed it gets better.

I got a part time teaching job doing a 10 week literacy test preparation course and it starts tonight. This involves me talking A LOT. However, I woke up this morning and my voice was pretty much completely gone. I can make out a couple of squeaks that sound like words, but not much.

It's the first day so I can't really call in sick.

Any tips or tricks on getting my voice back by 5:30 today???

talk down in your chest so that your pharyngeal and head tones aren't maxed out further.

If you can find one, get one of those personal vaporizers so that you can keep your passages moist.

Take some hot water, lemon, honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper--that will help to soothe the voice when you're not having to talk.

talk down in your chest so that your pharyngeal and head tones aren't maxed out further.

If you can find one, get one of those personal vaporizers so that you can keep your passages moist.

Take some hot water, lemon, honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper--that will help to soothe the voice when you're not having to talk.

Thanks, I will definitely try that!

I can't really help but I am sending you positive voice-recovery thoughts. The irony! I have a very good feeling you'll pull through.

I appreciate it. It has come back a little, but still not to the point of being useful over 2 hours. I have a hot lemon and ginger tea in front of me so hopefully that will help...no honey to be found or cayanne pepper.

Is your voice just gone? Or is it sore too? Years ago i had something wrong with my throat...and sore. Could hardly talk or swallow from it hurting so bad. Was going out of town for fun with friends and popped an aspirin. It was like a miracle! The pain disappeared and i could talk! I just thought i was better.....until the painkiller wore off....lol. Suddenly i was in pain and couldn't talk again, so i took another aspirin. Can't remember what kind.

All those years of 'old remedies' of gargling salt water that did no good....and i could have just taken a pill....lol

I know pills don't heal you...just mask the pain...but it was able to make me talk and swallow, which is always a good thing.

Other than that, I've only came close to losing my voice once....and that was at a class reunion!

Good Luck and congrats on new job!

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I lost my voice once, and in order to get it back I had to basically not talk for two days. Whenever I forced it, I could talk for a few minutes then would completely lose it again. I realize you don't have a ton of options, but I'm worried that if you talk for two hours you're just going to aggravate your problem and end up without a voice for several days. I suppose if there's any way you can change your lesson plan so that you're talking the bare minimum... Good luck!

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I lost my voice once, and in order to get it back I had to basically not talk for two days. Whenever I forced it, I could talk for a few minutes then would completely lose it again. I realize you don't have a ton of options, but I'm worried that if you talk for two hours you're just going to aggravate your problem and end up without a voice for several days. I suppose if there's any way you can change your lesson plan so that you're talking the bare minimum... Good luck!

Unfortunately calling in sick on my first day is not an option. I know I risk further aggravating it, but I don't really have any other choice. I will try to talk as little as possible, but the nature of the course makes that hard. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Archived