I unfollowed my ex on Twitter shortly after he broke up with me and I found he was dating another girl. I don't think he realized for awhile because he still followed me. Last week some tweets from his friends were making me paranoid and I felt like they were trash talking me. (they might not have been) I unfollowed them anyway to contain my emotions. After I unfollowed his friends, I noticed he unfollowed me directly after one of his friend went on to return my unfollow. Tonight, he followed me back. It's been two months since our break up and yes, I am "moving" on, but I really care about him. Should I follow him back? I need real opinions on what would better the chance of reconciliation in the future. (Please don't tell me to move on, I've heard it all and am able.) Why would he follow me? Should I follow back and appear that I am over him or not return the follow and possibly make him think I have something against him?

It's a Twitter follow. It means nothing. He may be playing games; he may be curious about you.

Don't follow him back. Make it appear as if you are busy and have better things to do. In fact, I recommend taking a break from Twitter entirely.

The only thing that will increase the chances of reconciliation (though you really SHOULD be moving on, not just saying you are) is complete 100% No Contact.

If I were you? I'd delete Twitter and never look back.

The only thing that will increase the chances of reconciliation (though you really SHOULD be moving on, not just saying you are) is complete 100% No Contact.

Yes, I was doing no contact hence me unfollowing him. I wasn't doing it to get back with him, I was doing it to not hurt as much anymore. I have a path laid out. I will be going to school and leaving state in a few months; I have been little by little moving on, but seeing him follow me made me curious. It's tough to not hope for at least a choice of being with him at some point even if I chose not to. Thank you though!

Yes, I was doing no contact hence me unfollowing him. I wasn't doing it to get back with him, I was doing it to not hurt as much anymore. I have a path laid out. I will be going to school and leaving state in a few months; I have been little by little moving on, but seeing him follow me made me curious. It's tough to not hope for at least a choice of being with him at some point even if I chose not to. Thank you though!

As long as you are taking care of yourself then you are doing the right thing.

In my opinion, following him back wouldn't be a good thing to do. I understand that you don't want to seem affected, but you're not really doing No Contact unless you block him.

Don't give him a peak at your life. He wanted out of it.

Don't follow him back. It will mess up with your mind and it will NOT increase your chances of reconciliation. When someone breaks up with you, he is effectively chosing to exit your life. He is OK risking not seeing or hearing from you ever again. Unfollowing him was the right thing to do and consistent with his wishes to exit your life. If he ever changes his mind it will have nothing to do with what you do or don't do on twitter. Plus, you need to be aware that keeping him on twitter is harmful for you:

As for why he followed you back, it could be anything from guilt about dumping you like this to trying to make it appear to others that he is fine with everything. He broke up with you and is dating another girl. Those are huge reasons to stay off his twitter and from twitter in general for now.

I haven't followed him back. Yesterday was my birthday he sent me a text saying "Hey I know we haven't talked in a while, but I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I hope it's great. I waited three hours and responded with a "Thank you. I appreciate it." His mother phoned me to wish me a happy birthday and said he'd asked if she'd heard from me three times before I responded. Not sure what that is supposed to mean, but you guys are right...He chose to exit my life.

Archived