Is it too late for me to become a counselor (college senior)?

I am a senior in college about to finish my undergrad degree this May. I majored in Communication and I am feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed right now. I chose it because I knew it was broad and could give me a lot of options for career paths. Now I am struggling to find something I'm really drawn to. I've had a few internships, but I still feel like I haven't found that perfect fit yet.

I have always had a genuine passion for helping people and have always been a great listener. I always thought about becoming a counselor but now I feel like it's too late, because I didn't major in social work or psych. If there is any career I am drawn to, it would be this. I was talked out of majoring in social work but now I am sort of regretting it.

Is it too late to try and pursue this? How could I go about it if not? It is so important for me to feel like I'm working toward something and passionate about my job, and I'm just very confused right now…so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Have you ever thought of becoming a career counselor, like at a university career services centre, or even a public job help centre? I have considered that, since I have a Philosophy degree and therefore can't be any other sort of counselor, but that's not what I'm currently doing.. I just became interested in the field a bit after being helped by some career counselors myself.

CongrAts on finding something you can be passionate about. Can't speak for all locations, but in the US, if you continue your studies you'll push out the 6 month grace period before needing to begin payment on student loans.

Consider visiting a dean to discuss grad programs. Then you can make up the bachelor's requirements (probably 4 or 5 core courses) and study the rest at the 600 level.

Go for it!!

It is *never* too late

I know several people who have decided to take up counselling as a career late in life.

I also did an "introduction to counselling" course last year and found it amazing. I'm going to do a "counselling skills" course within the next 18 months. Its amazing (oh... and I'm a bit biased)

Go for it! This is a career where any/all life experience before you start studying is valuable.

Please research career path, job market, and talk to some professionals with established careers. Everyone I've known who got in to this failed to do these thing and ended up either un/under employed or burnt out. I don't reall think it's feasible unless you have someone else to support you or a big pile of money. Not fair, but reality.

john45: that sounds awesome! I would love to take a course like that. It's nice to hear that it's truly never too late. I think I am just really feeling pressure right now with graduation coming up, to figure out what I'm doing with the rest of my life and it's very stressful. Especially when all your friends seem to have it all figured out!

pl3asehelp: I appreciate your advice about researching the career first. I am planning on doing my research as well as talking to people who are actually in the field before jumping in and going after it. I know it's a huge commitment.

Also, with this being my last semester, does anyone recommend any classes I should take specifically? I am pretty much done with my Communication degree so I have plenty of room for other classes. Psych? Sociology?

I should have said earlier, that although I know a few people who have trained, and who make a living out of counselling professionally, I don't know anyone who is making mega-bucks out of a counselling career.

This may just be uk-specific. So... my UK-based conclusion, is that if you qualify as a counsellor, it is possible to work, earn, support yourself and do ok. If you have ambitions/aspirations that involve expensive homes, sports cars, several exotic holidays a year.... chances are you won't get rich out of choosing this as a career.

Archived