How should I deal with this?

So I'm currently interning at this fashion house. It's a small fashion house managed by mostly men. Everything was going fine, until one of them today the boss started a conversation with one of his store employees and he was talking about me (positively). Then the employee was like "Sarah, you mean the transvestite I see everyday?". I was standing right on front of them. The employee was serious, he was like "You mean the transvestite I see everyday with the headband on", trust me he was not joking. They were having a serious conversation.

I didn't say anything but then I decided to leave the job early because of this. I don't accept being treated like crap especially as only an intern. I'm sorry but his remark was way out of line and not work related. He crossed the line especially as he was serious.

Was I right to just drop everything and leave? It might seem immature and unprofessional but it genuinely hurt my feelings. It's a major lack of respect, I'm sorry.

If the internship is almost over, I would suggest sucking it up and finishing. Leave on a high note with a few good references. However, if it is expected to go on longer term, I would say raise the issue to a supervisor (as others have suggested) and if you don't see some quick resolution, be prepared to quit. If you can, follow up on the verbal conversation with an email to him recapping the meeting (this ensures you have documented the issue; if this event affects your employment status - whether by your choice or theirs, you have proof to show that you left because the issue was raised and not addressed). Also, just a side note... twice in your post you apologized for feeling offended. You shouldn't apologize for that. You should consider why you wrote it that way.. if there are past events that have gone down like this, or something in your life that has made you feel like that. I am sure it was unintentional, but just an observation that may be worth exploring.

As I said, the boss was there when the employee used the derogatory term. However, the boss did not react at all. He didn't seem to care much. Whereas they both complimented the other intern right before and both agreed on the fact she was "hot". All of this was happening right in front of us.

I didn't go to work yesterday and the boss apparently he told people I am "too sensitive" of a person.

The employee apologized by voice-mail and said the "transvestite" word was meant as a compliment. I think he shouldn't have apologized in the first place if it's to make stupid statements to avoid shame. He made his case even worse.

I had issues with another employee right when I first started and I posted about it. It's only an optional internship, it's not part of my course or anything. I just did it for personal enrichment. At this point, I'm done because I still have 5 weeks to go. I just can't. My doctor said I shouldn't be putting up with this.

Archived