Healthy favorite things - everyone add their list!!!

It's that time of year when everyone is making resolutions and counting the pounds from the holiday feasts, or shuddering from a bit too much comfort food dealing with holiday memories.

So I figured if everyone posted a couple of things they REALLY like, it might make it easier and give us all some suggestions to make those resolutions a bit easier to keep.

Mine would be:

link removed for a premade food that is vegetarian friendly, tastes like a real burger, and is sturdy and not mushy.

And for homemade - I discovered I can make a takeoff of Wendy's pecan apple chicken salad - I don't add the cheese (which to me overpowered the delicate dressing, which I only sprinkle on). Some greens and spinach, glazed pecans, sliced pinata apple, grilled diced chicken, and link removed makes a tasty feast, and pretty darn filling as well.

Out of curiosity, anyone else interested in sharing a weight loss journal with me? I can always use motivation and goals, but putting it in my own journal feels like talking to myself

i just made something super tasty and relatively healthy. bear in mind i'm a terrible cook so my standards are not too high.

wholegrain wrap, bean burger, lettuce leaves and beetroot relish, wrap it up with a bit of mayo... it was delicious and filling.

Would love to join you! I just started doing link removed and lost 5 lbs the first week by making all my own foods (I chose the "clean meals" dinner menus). I really need to learn to cook AND lose weight so this is killing 2 birds with one stone. So far I haven't had a non-delicious meal yet and I'm super proud of myself for making them myself! I've decided to still have a coffee a few times a week and will eat one meal a week of whatever I want/take-out/whatever.

Very happy! Please include me on your journal group! I'm looking to lose 10-15lbs more.

Great idea for a thread! If we can make it private maybe we can include "before/after" pics

For frozen things, I like quinoa burgers from Qrunch. I find that all of the frozen vegetarian burgers or "chicken" patties upset my stomach. And these have other vegetables in them as well and they are delicious. I put it over a spinach salad with mandarin oranges, a little olive oil and feta cheese for dinner. I also try to make a big batch of food on Sundays so I can have it for lunch during the week and try to only eat out once during the week.

I also love/hate running. It's so hard, but it works SO well. I signed up for my first half marathon at the end of August. I'm terrified. I put on a few pounds over the holidays though, so this is good motivation to get back on track. I just want to lose may be 5 pounds and tighten up. I already see a trainer once a week and I do yoga when I can. It's hard to fit in training, running and yoga with a busy schedule. I'm trying though!

100% swimming.

When I'm out after having a nice swim, I feel so relaxed I feel in a much better position to make good choices.

One of my big food 'issues' is coffee - I love it so. I love it black. I love it with cream and sugar. I love it every which way.

After a good swim, I can really FEEL how jacked up a cup of coffee makes me. It helps me to keep my intact down. When I don't swim, I drink more of it.

One of my favorite foods is raw spinach. It's so inexpensive compared to lettuce! And packed with good stuff. Put it in sandwiches, cook it in meals, eat it with salads. SO good.

Another thing I do a lot is add wine to my meals, cook it down, and a tiny bit of butter. Very little fat in that little bit of butter, but with the wine adds so much flavor. I do it with veggies, a lot of sauces, meats. Mm.

And the day I discovered roasting veggies, I started to eat a lot more. Sometimes you just don't feel like raw ones; so this is a good way to sneak in more veg. Feels more substantial somehow.

I agree with the raw spinach. You can buy a whole bag of that and put it in sandwiches instead of lettuce.

I also like buying a bag of broccoli coleslaw (similar to coleslaw but it's shreds of broccoli stems instead of cabbage). You can eat that with some Italian dressing on top instead of a mayonnaise-y coleslaw.

Kale or broccoli rapini, a chopped tomato, and a small amount of cheese on top. Chicken, legumes and /or nuts optional. bMicrowave about 1 minute. Add hot sauce. I live off variations of this.

Hot skim milk, either plain or with chai.

Boiled egg with steamed spinach and red pepper.

Roasted seaway snacks

Canned tomato soup with lots of black pepper. Add feta after its done cooking.

Canned beans with tomato and cilantro

Poached salmon with quinoa

For fitness: stairs in my office building, skipping rope, and Pilates. When it's warm out, running and long, brisk a walks.

I love hiding pureed cauliflower in everything. I use it as a substitute for cream in sauces (like rosé tomato sauces) and I even throw it into smoothies instead of almond milk, because it gives it a nice creamy silken texture (and you can't taste it!) and it adds more nutrients and fiber.

I love hiding pureed cauliflower in everything. I use it as a substitute for cream in sauces (like rosé tomato sauces) and I even throw it into smoothies instead of almond milk, because it gives it a nice creamy silken texture (and you can't taste it!) and it adds more nutrients and fiber.

I hadn't thought of that!

I have used whipped cauliflower as a mashed potato sub - and baked it in a casserole dish with seasonings and a bit of egg white and a sprinkle of cheese to make "twice baked not quite potatoes."

Ya I use it as a mashed potato sub too, also as a sub for bechamel sauces, like I use it atop moussaka (I'm sorry if I just horrified and offended any Greek people reading this, lol)

I have also been using it as a sub for egg in muffins. Normally I would use banana or apple sauce, but one day I was out of both, but had a big bowl of pureed cauliflower, so threw that in instead. Sounds weird, but it worked! I love experimental baking!

Good ideas for pureed cauliflower! I've never thought to use it. I like to use pureed white beans (such as Cannellini) in place of cream in soups.

Oh now that's a good idea! Gonna try that out next. For awhile I was experimenting with using pureed/whipped butter beans as a base for a healthy vanilla frosting for cakes/cupcakes--but it didn't work. The texture was weird. But it tasted great!

Mine would be:

link removed for a premade food that is vegetarian friendly, tastes like a real burger, and is sturdy and not mushy.

I just clicked on your link, didn't last visit to your thread... those look good, are they as thick as in the picture when bought? I cannot eat g.beef so I like soy, or portobello mushrooms etc burgers even lamb burgers( expensive though and hard to get) I will check out our grocery stores and see if any carry this. Thanks for posting links

Archived