When I'm not in love I'm miserable

I've tried since I was 18 years old to be happy on my own. Without needing a guy. 15 years later...I've become quite independent. I have my own home now. I think I'm to the point where I'm as happy as I can possibly be on my own. But Whenever I start a relationship I get so excited and am so happy and I'm the person I've always wanted to be. It's like a fire gets lit inside of me. But when I'm single, I'm unhappy. No matter how happy I try to get I'm never as happy as I am when someone loves me. It seems normal but I want to feel that way without a guy. I have not been able to accomplish that sense of contentment on my own. Any advice?

Is it the feeling of being loved that you crave? Perhaps you could volunteer with children or adopt a pet...those are ways to bring love into your life without relying on finding a guy.

I have reached a point where I'm happy on my own and yet also kind of like "soooo, when am I gonna meet my guy?" in the back of my mind....so even when you're happy on your own, its still something you can want/think about/work towards.

I'd try and find some other things that bring joy to your life... a class, a meetup group, yoga, meditation, exercise, read...I actually regret not doing more of those things when I had the time. Now I'm a single mom and my time is soooo packed that I am lucky when I have my sh** together enough to make healthy meals for the week, exercise once or twice and still be in a good mood ;-)

Archived