Curious

Stephydee86

No. I've never forgotten anyone I was once very close to - How could I? But you move on, and yes sometimes you still wonder/think of them, but never in the same way.

Bingo. Especially if it's somebody you dated a while. I still think about my ex (whom I dated for 3.5 years) from time to time, but it's not in a longing sense. Certain situations remind me of her still and that will happen for a long long time. But once you're to the point where you can think about them in a purely platonic sense, you'll be fine.

I never do.

But I do forget details.

Yes, that's it.

Of course you remember basics like their name and that you had a relationship with them, and why you broke up. But as time goes on the details do start to get fuzzy...and memories are not nearly as emotionally charged as when the actual events happen.

Like, I recall fighting a lot with my alcoholic ex, but the raw emotions I experienced in that relationship....I can describe them, but I don't feel them anymore (if that makes sense). It's long enough ago that it's like I'm describing something I saw in a movie -- there's a level of detachment there that couldn't be there when I was living it and in the 6mos to a year after the break up....but 20 years down the road...it's just a story from my past that can be told with no strong emotions either way.

BTW, if you are actually forgetting things like their name, you might want to get checked out by a doctor....and, by the same token, if it's been a couple years and it's still as painful as when it first happened, you might want to consider some counseling. Both of those seem to be indications of a larger problem than getting over an ex.

Do you really mean forget or do you mean "get over". If you mean forget, I don't think so. I mean I don't think about most of my exes (not that there are that many) but if something reminds me of that time, I remember their names and a little bit about them. If you mean "get over", I think most definitely yes. I believe that when "everyone" says to forget him/her, they mean to stop thinking about them until you are over them emotionally.

I guess it depends on the relationship. I certainly won't ever forget the woman I was married to for 16 years and had 3 kids with. She'll always be a part of my life and we're still great friends. I'm able to still have a great relationship with her but I would never want her as my wife again.

Archived