Can anyone share some personal success/horror stories on Accutane? My dermatologist has recommended it to me a few months back but I was weary b/c I will have to go on birth control for it (which I understand why, but I am NOT happy about going on it, considering my husband and I can't actually have kids). That's really the only thing stopping me from doing it, b/c I hate birth control since it makes me a crazy person. But I know it's just for about 5 months and I am sure I can deal with it in hte long run.

I also know that the process is pretty packed with stuff, such as derm visits every few weeks, blood panels, etc. But at 31, my body acne is still out of control and I'm riddled with acne scars b/c I pick without even realizing it. My derm has told me it will pretty much stop it for good, though it's not a "cure" for acne, and that it can clear up some scarring too.

Can anyone share stories on the process and how you are doing off of it, or, if you're going through it currently, what you think? I visit my derm on Jan 17 and am considering telling him let's get theprocess started.

I went on it when I was 22 I think. I'm 28 now. I know all the stories behind it, but to be honest, I'm so glad I did it. Does it cure acne? No. Some people go back on it again, but acne in my genes are strong. My sister went on Accutane as well as my half brother (got acne from our dad). I still break out of course, but nothing like I used to. If my acne got worse, I may go back on it again, but I hope it doesn't. During the time I was on accutane for 5 months, they said no sun or alcohol, but maybe I was being a rebel, but I drank A LOT. I had a trip to New Orleans, and I drank like no other and went to the beach lol I did my tests every month and my liver was fine. Just make sure you stay on birth control and you're good. Also, your lips will get dried, so get Aquafor, it's the BEST lip treatment you'll find in drugstores. The only thing is I still get dry eyes even though my face is still oily as ever. After two years of accutane, I got lasik eye surgery, but my eyes still get dry, but it may also be because I go on the computer for work and school. About two years ago I got a fractional laser surgery, not sure if that is worth it. All in all, if you have really tried everything, then go for it. There are lot of positive stories too of Accutane, but I suppose you just won't find it as much as negative reviews. My sister who is 33 just finished accutane last year and is now having a healthy baby boy

Thank you for responding. I don't drink, so I'm not worried about that.

I do have a couple medication allergies, primarily codeine. But other than that, I've never really had allergies to anything, but I worry about the "severe or possibly life-threatening allergies" that can develop in "extreme" cases. I deal with a lot of dry skin in cold weather (like I have a rash-like dry spot on my hand right now just from washing my hands a few times during ht day) and am allergic to laundry detergents that aren't allergen free. I have pretty sensitive skin and anything can affect it. So at this point, I'm ready to just try anything, but I'm hesitant at the same time.

I have sensitive skin too. I can't use those dry sheets in the dryer beacuse it's heavily fragranced. The good thing is, if you feel like it's not for you, then you can go off or anytime. I think my sister ended her course a month early. I didn't have a breakout purge that some people say, and I never had any suicidal thoughts. In fact, I had a great time on it because my skin was smoothe and less oily. If it helps, you can go on link removed and they have their own message forum, and I believe there's one just for accutane journals where people write their everyday/weekly experiences while they're on it. Good luck!

I personally never used it, but my friend had. And she told me it was bad, because her skin did clear up a bit, but as soon as she stopped taking it - it all came back, and first two times it was even worse then before she started taking it. Now she is off, and tries different natural stuff. But I know that for some people it was like a magic pill and it all worked out perfectly. So you never know before you try, I guess.

I took it in high school (looking back my acne was not bad, it was just a few zits, not sure why the derm went all out with this), the acne came back a year later.

Best thing that helped was cutting off all milk (includes, cheese, sour cream, doughnuts, etc.) lowering sugar, and avoiding hot showers. They have already linked dairy and sugar to acne, and i knew about this years ago.

I was on accutane in high school as well. My acne was never SEVERE, it was more like moderate. And I wasn't having that lol. I honestly credit accutane with saving my skin. My skin is virtually flawless...except for the ocassional zit that we as adults still get, you'd never know I had acne. Aside from extreme dryness of the skin, I never had bad side effects.

Agree with Thors - all of those foods/dairy are skin no-nos.

I'm really just looking for black and white accutane experience instead of suggestions for trying different things. My derm and I have tried other options and discussed other things to do. Accutane was suggested and I'm researching.

I have been to derms all the time, they described antibiotics, some lotion thing, more antibiotics, and accutane. None of them worked in the long run, to me... they just fill out prescriptions and cross their fingers in hopes it might work. I asked about diet years ago, the derm laughed, now its all over the news about diet causing acne.

I have been to derms all the time, they described antibiotics, some lotion thing, more antibiotics, and accutane. None of them worked in the long run, to me... they just fill out prescriptions and cross their fingers in hopes it might work. I asked about diet years ago, the derm laughed, now its all over the news about diet causing acne.

I don't think it's all cut and dry - there are many things that cause acne. Primarily a bacterium, P. acnes. There's also a component of inflammation, so many things from the human side can cause that. I have breakouts around my period, so hormonal factors also play a role. I've heard of some peoples' skin clearing up when they stopped eating dairy products. Many skin products and makeup can make the acne worse as well.

good luck with whatever you decide to do hers - i hope you get good results.

I don't think it's all cut and dry - there are many things that cause acne. Primarily a bacterium, P. acnes. There's also a component of inflammation, so many things from the human side can cause that. I have breakouts around my period, so hormonal factors also play a role..

Yes, hormonal factor do play a role, hence why something like milk can make it worse. Inflammation has been linked to sugar, milk and caffeine- by both studies and in just the way the body uses up milk and sugar. IMO, i just notice that many derms wont go down the diet route, from what i was told - the diet route for acne is a whole different practice outside of dermatology.

Yes, hormonal factor do play a role, hence why something like milk can make it worse. Inflammation has been linked to sugar, milk and caffeine- by both studies and in just the way the body uses up milk and sugar. IMO, i just notice that many derms wont go down the diet route, from what i was told - the diet route for acne is a whole different practice outside of dermatology.

I think that docs try to do what is within their power, and a dermatologist can easily write a prescription. but it's harder for them to follow you home and watch your diet. I agree that it's worth a try before going on accutane, because it's a drug that has serious side effects. Though I know that hers is asking about accutane specifically in this thread. I also told her to ask her derm about spironolactone, another acne drug, specifically for hormonal acne.

It is, at least here in Canada, in order for my acne and eczema to be taken seriously I had to quit seeking help from regular doctors and dermatologists and seek out a Naturopathic practitioner. My Derm and Doc would not make the diet/gut health and acne connection. With the guidance of my ND I eliminated several foods (including dairy and wheat) from my diet and added a daily probiotic. By doing so, all of my skin issues (including acne) cleared-up entirely. If I eat too much of one of the offending foods now, I get an epic break-out.

Might be worth it for the OP to seek out the guidance of a Naturopath if she has the funds and inclination to do so, before going down the Accutane route. From what I have heard, it can be quite harsh on the body including the liver. Though, the men and women I know who took it when they were in their teens have absolutely flawless skin now as adults.

What about sugar?

I am starting to get acne on my head, its small, but its annoying because i crop my hair low. I assume its coming from me wearing construction helmets while working in the hot summer, but to this day i still get one or two. I cut dairy and sugar, hot showers and some wheat, it cleared up, but then i started to crave something, so i added come coffee with almond milk and some sugary drinks, wheat and snacks and i started to take how showers again... and now they came back.

I might have to start an elimination diet and take off one by one to zero in on the issue - instead of taking it all off at once. Something or all of the above was making me way more acne prone, because lets face it, no other guys at my job are getting acne on their head from work.

As far as accutane, a google search shows how many people are saying that its temporary. I know when i was on it, i still got some zits, but they were super-small whiteheads only, like you can literally brush them off - they came back a year later. I remember accutane was in the news a while back due to the high depression and suicide risk.

What about sugar?

Sugar is pure evil for your body. Whether it causes acne would be dependent on whether you have a sensitivity or not, just like some people can drink milk and not get acne while others can't. From what I have learned, if you have a food intolerance/sensitivity, it can manifest in acne (but not always, it depends on your body--some people get sinus congestion instead, for example). Best to avoid sugar anyway, I recommend coconut palm sugar as a substitute. It tastes exactly like brown sugar and measures spoon for spoon. It doesn't raise blood sugar high at all, in fact less so than honey or maple syrup. I use it almost exclusively in my coffee, baking etc. It is a bit pricey though. Sucralose, sorbital and aspartame are also evil for your body, avoid them too.

The scalp acne could be food related, or not. Cut out the wheat/dairy/sugar again and see if it helps. You could be reacting to your shampoo too. Maybe switch up shampoo's and see if that helps. Scalp sweats from your helmet could definitely cause it. Sometimes if I go horseback riding on a hot day I find I get a scalp break-out later and I'm pretty sure it's from my head sweating in my helmet.

I'm currently having a minor issue with those large, cystic pimples on my chest. I don't get them that often...but when I do, they're HUGE, painful, and take forever to heal! I'm putting Manuka Honey on it every day, and it seems to be helping.

I read somewhere that chest/back acne isn't food related, bu acne on the face and scalp is. Not sure how true that article was.

I'm currently having a minor issue with those large, cystic pimples on my chest. I don't get them that often...but when I do, they're HUGE, painful, and take forever to heal! I'm putting Manuka Honey on it every day, and it seems to be helping.

I read somewhere that chest/back acne isn't food related, bu acne on the face and scalp is. Not sure how true that article was.

Raw honey (unpasteurized) is great for healing your skin, it pulls the impurities out and is anti-bacterial and I think also anti-inflammatory. It has to be raw though, pasteurized honey is dead. Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is also an excellent (less messy) alternative.

I don't know about chest acne, but my ND told me that back acne and acne on certain parts of the face can most definitely be associated with gut and liver issues caused by a food intolerance. I am not going to get into the details of why, because that info comes from Chinese and natural medicine and I know that a lot of people don't put too much stock in alternative medicines, and I don't want to derail the thread.

I don't know if Accutane works for acne on the body, though. The people I know who used Accutane only had facial and neck acne.

Archived