Open Club  ·  24 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Traveling across the world

Amp33

As long as I can remember I've always wanted to live in a different country. Somewhere where it never snows (I'm in Canada so it would be a nice change). I have a friend in New Zealand. And family in Australia so I figured that would be the bet choice for a first traveling experience. I'm hoping it happens soon. I'm 20 and it seems all of my friends are getting married or having kids. I don't want to be one of those people. I have dreams I want to live out first. The only thing is I have debt I want to pay off first. A car loan I want to clear so I'm able to sell it and gather money for the trip. What should I prepare while I'm waiting the next 6months to 1 year for this trip? I've done my research on the countries. Looked at jobs in towns I would most likely reside in. Do you have any tips or advice?

If you plan on staying awhile and working, make sure you have a proper visa for that so that you don't find yourself either unemployable or getting deported for working illegally, because that can really put a damper on your future travel plans for life.

Other than that, they are not really that different, so really not much for tips. Best travel tip in general is chat up the locals for where to go, where to eat, what to see, what to do, etc. They'll tell you about all the gems that are not on the tourist path. I guess when I travel I make a point of doing all the touristy stuff, but leave a big chunk of time to take wherever whim or a good tip takes me. It's those off the beaten path ones that have been the most memorable parts of the trips.

Archived