New job, should I keep at it?

Splunk

Hey everyone,

I started my new job on Monday and so far its only being training which I expected, watching videos 8 hours a day none stop on how to use the system they use. The job is administration for Children's Services so no day will be the same with what the information is with different children's situations but the work is just the same. With them they are going to put me through extra NVQ courses so I have more qualifications. It's my first real job and I applied for hundreds of jobs prior to get it, but I already want to quit. Today I was in a room with a team and I knew no one, everyone was talking to each other about things that have happened in the office and outside but not a single person even looked at me. I felt so out of place and lonely I ended up going to the toilets about 5 times just to get out of the room. Can anyone give me any tips on how to try start a conversation with people at work or anything on starting a new job?

Thanks

Stick with it! It's always a bit rough being the newbie at a job. I feel that way the first little bit at every job I've had and within a month or so I consider some of my coworkers friends and I enjoy them all. The best thing I can think of is smile. When you go in first thing in the morning, say "Hi" to people, ask how they're doing, maybe ask how their night/weekend was, that sort of small talk thing and take it from there, depending on their answers. you could also take the first step and introduce yourself. Usually you'll find that people are friendly and interested in getting to know new coworkers. Best of luck!

Say hello, introduce yourself, allow people to introduce themselves back to you. If they don't ask whether you're new, tell them. Ask for help when you need it, and don't assume that people assume you know things you really don't.

Quitting makes no sense because being the new kid is something you'd need to endure at the next job anyway. Might as well dig in and keep reminding yourself that things won't always look and feel this horrible--it's just an inevitable growing pain.

Head high, you can do this.

Today is a lot better, been shadowing someone that is closer to my age and can talk to him easilly. I think I was so put off yesterday because everyone around me was like 30-40+ and I didn't feel like I could relate to anyone

Haha I have the opposite problem. I get on with the people older than be but find it really hard to interact with the people my age.

Spoke to hardly anyone when I started work, now I know most people and find it hard to get around without being stopped. You just got to break out the small talk. And don't be afraid to ask people to tell them their name again people understand you forget. Alternatively ask someone in your office when you forget.

Everyone wants to quit their job at first - in three months you'll know people, will know what you're doing, know the office and will feel like you've been there forever. Keep at it

And don't be afraid to introduce yourself -the staffroom/kettle is a good spot for this. And smile and say good morning to the people who work near you.

I'm going through the same thing now at my new job. This week was my 3rd week and slowly getting to know all the new people. I am not sure if I will ever know everyone because I have a total of about 50 lol

You start to feel comfortable in about a month.

Archived