Does anyone else get massively depressed on period?

I mean, MASSIVELY depressed. Like I get pathetic and anxious beyond belief and just so, so sad. I get whiney and clingy and it's hurt my relationships before.

I like, roll around on the floor crying and freaking out. I'll sit at the window for an hour just hating myself and thinking how there's no point to life. I wish I'd get hit by a car so I could die, but not have to do it myself and disappoint everyone because I gave up.

I'm normally a pretty rational person! I turn into this psychopath for a quarter of my life though.

It's actually during my period, so I guess it's not pms. I've tried many many different bc before I finally gave up and got on the copper iud a year ago. So now, instead of being constantly depressed, it's only a week. Still not great though.

Any advice? Thoughts? Experiences to share?

Personally I get mad emotional moodswings from my menstrual cycle. It's not normal and is a medical issue. Talk to your doctor. Are you on birth control? Sometimes that can help...(although sometimes it makes things worse too, depends on your reaction)

The whole time or just one day? For about a year, I used to have a day when I felt everything was hopeless, followed by a day when I was angry beyond belief but this was about a week before (so PMS).

It stopped on it's own but not after I tried everything including trying to convince the doctor (who thought the answer was evening primrose!). So I can't recommend a solution, except the knowledge that it's hormonal and is temporary.

However, if you're not doing it already, I'd suggest tracking your period - eg with the iPeriod or Period free app - and recording your symptoms. It could help you to know when to expect the problem, exactly how long it lasts, whether your cycles are getting shorter.

Diet might also have some impact on your symptoms.

Good luck.

I've heard of pmdd. It sounds very difficult to diagnose though and I fear the only solution would be an antidepressant. I will bring it up next time I'm at the gyno, though.

I'm only on the nonhormonal copper iud. I tried birth control, different kinds for about 3 years. Nothing really worked. I would be consistently depressed.

It's about 4 or 5 days. 2ish days pre-period and 3ish during my period. I've read better exercise and sleeping habits can help too.

• 1 month later...

had pmdd. Not rolling on the floor and stuff but i wa either very weepy or had incredible amounts of suppressed anger. detoxed my liver and for some reason i haven't had it since. I also take turmeric regularly and i think that's what keeps pms away for me! also, i don't cramp AT ALL any more and i used to get killer cramps that would last for hours unless I was rushed to the er. Hope that helps a bit

I never associated my mood swings with my period, but my last one made me reconsider.

Before I just had crazy pain, now the pain is not SO bad as it used to be, but a week after my period I get awful headaches, and when I do have my period I can start crying for a reason, but I wont stop for an hour. It pretty much is pathetic and anxious beyond belief.

When I look back on it I can`t understand WHY I was action like that, but in the moment - I just do, and there is nothing or nobody that can help me to stop.

Turmeric does help, +1000 on that. And anyhow - talk to your doctor. Severe PMDD is craaaazy.

Yup, that's me. 2 days before I get my period I go comletely crazy, I get depressed, I get upset for no obvious reason, I freak out... I realised it was interfering with my relationships. My ex ex learnt how to treat me when I was on PMS, but my last one was not so good.

I tried talking to my gyne. I am on birth control pills (I don't need them ATM but they help me have regular periods) and since I moved country I am taking some different ones and they are making me feel worse. I told this my gyne and I suggested she gave me some other ones but she said no, because in her opinion it's not the pills' fault since I get these symptoms after I stop taking them (3 weeks of taking + 1 week of break, I get my period on the 2nd or 3rd day after I stop taking them) so it means they are helping me and not the other way round.

Anyways, I am not convinced and next time I go I will try to be more insistent. It doeesn't hurt to try different ones IMO. But yeah, it really sucks BIG TIME.

Archived