Struggling in a new job. Not sure what to do as I need this job..

Hello,

A slightly different post from me. But I started a new job about a month a go now. I have been unemployed for about 6 months post university. I've really struggled to find work (and with decent amount of hours to survive), as I live in a seaside town, it's very seasonal, so winters are extremely dead. Nothings open, no tourism, no students around to keep up the work. So I eventually got this job as a receptionist at a Hotel. I applied because I felt I had all the adequate skill and personality for the job. I applied for anything and everything. So I got past the 2 initial initial interviews and was narrowed down from 16 applicants which made me feel so good.

However, the job itself I can do but I'm still struggling to get through the day without asking a tonne of questions, or without losing where I am in the process of the day. There's an order to the day and I seem to just get things wrong, add things up wrong, miss something out etc ... and the worst thing for me, is that I am a real worrier. I worry about absolutely everything. I go home worrying about work and I go to work, worrying about work. I did explain this was a weakness of mine to the employer. Anyway I'm worried as I have a review in April and that's when they decide to make me permanent or not. I really need this job to survive. Work here is soooooo hard to find.

The second problem I'm facing, is there's a girl who is giving me a hard time. She's best friends with a previous Ex's sister (Not Joseph who some of you know about). I was stood in the reception and she didn't know I was there and I heard her discussing my relationship with another colleague. I actually don't know her at all. I only ever heard her name mentioned in conversations when I use to date my EX James. But I've heard her several times b*tching about me to other members of staff, she throws her paperwork at me over the reception desk, she gives me dirty looks or just stares are me when I've asked her something... it's becoming a bit of a drag actually. I thought about taking it up with my Manager but as the new girl I don't want to create an atmosphere. I've also never had a private opportunity to talk to her about it. Like I said, I don't know her. She was just best friends with my EX's sister.

I need this job in particular because I have now initiated NC properly with Joseph. Deleted his number, thrown out things her bought me etc... and it feels good. I'm saving up to move back to a town I use to live in when I went to uni. So I'm hoping to be shot of this town in 6 months or so. Hopefully.

Not sure what to do. I'm really wanting this year to be a success for me. And I'm trying to focus on what's important and what's a priority but it seems like my constant worrying about things is getting in the way.

Just wondered if anyone can offer words of advice.

Cheers,

PB.

What employers want to see more than anything is that you're accepting responsibility for your job and take it seriously. So if you find yourself 'messing up', you should take a calm moment and ask yourself, what do i need from myself and others to stop doing these mistakes? Sometimes it might mean asking for a bit more training from your boss, sometimes it means learning how to deal with your anxiety and take moments to de-stress and calm down, sometimes it is getting organized and making lists and checking things off so you don't forget them.

But if you sense you are screwing up in a way that would upset the boss, then talk to them and tell them what you need from them in order to be successful at your job, and acknowledge your mistakes and that you'd like to correct them and do a good job.

re: the woman who is snarky to you, ignore, ignore, ignore. Who cares if she gives you the stink eye! Just be unfailingly polite to her no matter how rude she is to you, and show everyone that you can rise above her immaturity/rudeness.

As someone who works in the hospitality industry, I know how it is working as a front desk agent.

My advice would be to take lots of notes and ask questions. Show them that you are interested and willing to learn. There is no specific system that you have to follow. Use the notes as a guideline and tailor it to how you would do your job.

You already have the personality and the adequate skills, now you just need to learn the system.

There is a lot to learn in the hotel industry, but it's a good industry to be in if you are interested as there are always hotel openings throughout.

As far as your ex's sister best friend, I would suggest that you ignore her as well. If she does give you a hard time, just pull her aside and speak to her nicely.

You need to keep this job, do what you can to get by.

Good luck!

It takes at least 3 and usually more like 6 months to feel like you know what you are doing at a new job. Keep taking notes and study them just like you did in school. Don't worry, things will slowly start getting easier.

I agree with this, time takes care everything.

Hello - thanks for your replies. I've been taking notes and trying to find my "own way" of doing things, as everyone does things differently. I think the fact I'm a worrier gets in the way of life, I tend to make mistakes and when I'm cashing up and figures don't add up I start stressing out. It's just frustrating because I know I can do the job, but I just get flustered easily. This is something that gets in the way of every aspect of my life.

Also this is the first time in my life I've been completely independent. Now that I'm single, moved away from home, stopped flat sharing with uni students and relying completely on myself it feels really scary. I mean in university we use to split bills and when I lived with my previous boyfriends we would help each other out financially. But now it's just really quite scary for me. I feel pathetic at 24 saying that.

I just have so much hope for this job and for 2014 that I don't want anything to go wrong. Last year was exhausting mentally and physically. I just want everything to run smoothly. So this job means a lot to me. I just really hope I don't mess up.

Thanks for your replies everyone xxxx

P.s as for the girl who's giving me a bit of bother, I've just completely ignored her but kept my manners. I live in a really small town you see and everyone knows each other. It's very hard to meet someone who doesn't already know someone. A bit annoying. Coming from a city originally I find small towns difficult to fit in. I always feel like the outsider looking in...

Once you start to master the job you will have your own way of doing things. That is what eventually happens once you master the job. And you will also have to make a mistake so you can get better at the job so there is no need to be afraid of messing up because if you don't mess up how will you learn?

Just like with the job I am at now I know once training is over I will make a few mistakes because that's the only way I learn how to get better.

Just maintain a good attitude and show an eagerness to learn and you will be fine. I asked so many questions on my first job out of college that I was probably annoying the hell out of the whole department. They probably thought I was a moron at first. I didn't realize how little I knew until I started that job but I caught up really quickly and surpassed most of the employees there. There was a huge learning curve in the first month and I did question whether I would be able to hang in there, but most people are pretty willing to help new employees. I seriously felt clueless when I started but by the time I left I had gotten several raises, multiple bonuses, and landed a pretty high paying job in California because of it. Hang in there!

Archived