Healing Books and Movies

Stop focusing on the relationship and just get on with YOUR journey.

Healing will not come from a book or a movie...it comes from within. So now is the time to rebuild your inner core and from that growth will come strength.

mhowe, while I agree change has to come from within, there are definitely books that can help guide you through that. And its not as simple as just turning off your thoughts about your ex partner and concentrating on yourself. You need to learn how to embrace those thoughts when they do come up, not grab on, but let them pass through. Its difficult territory and a guide through that can be very soothing for someone quite anxious. My recommendation would be a book called The Wisdom of a Broken Heart.

I've found a lot of existential and Buddhist theory to be quite comforting, both are primarily concerned with the transience of meaning and basically say everyone is free in this life to do as they choose and find their own happiness and satisfaction. It can get heavy at times but the core messages really help in that they show you it's not sustainable to rely on one person or thing to make you happy because ultimately everything else but yourself will go away, one way or another.

Something a bit lighter might be anything by Haruki Murakami, while his work contains failed relationships (and happy ones), his characters are real and often find a way through their pain while at the same time becoming stronger.

I don't agree with the posts that say stop looking for help and focus on getting through it- films and books are great sources of wisdom, knowledge and different perspectives on life, finding a helpful one is no different than coming on this forum or speaking to a therapist.

At the end of the day, if you don't take the time to internalize what it is that you need to know in order to make the changes you need to make, then all the movies and books are nothing but distractions.

You have to watch them and read them for the RIGHT reasons and at the core, those solutions are found within you, not on paper or celluloid. Those words on film work for a character that was specifically written the way they were written (and rewritten once they screened that movie in Chatsworth and got audience feed back on what worked and what didn't) and all variables with that character were under control. The variables in peoples' lives are never under control.

Archived