I need some (financial) help from someone who has completed a graduate programs

I am currently starting my second semester in a distance education masters program today. I struck a deal with my employer, where they will help to pay for my schooling. I went through the whole process of getting everything signed only to have them not hold up their end of the bargain (that's another story though). Right now I owe my parents 2500 dollars for last semesters fees. I was hoping to get that money back from my employer and flip it again for this semester but that isn't happening. My dad is going to help me again and pay for this semester's schooling... but I don't want him to do any more.

I am interested in doing a FASFA... but I have one simple question... are the loans deferred like they are for undergraduate students? It would be really nice to not have to pay 2500 dollars or more every semester... that I just financially cannot handle.

Another question... does anyone have web info regarding grants for grad students? I have been poking around but I have found squat. Any information would be appreciated.

-Deej

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the federal loans are deferred. When going for federal loans, subsidized loans are a better deal than unsubsidized.

Grad school grants are hard to come by. Definitely check with your school financial aid office but also check directly with the faculty in your major because they may know of special departmental awards, grade aide or assistantship positions, or private foundation grants of interest. (The latter are usually merit based and competitive, and are not based on financial need or FAFSA).

Archived