Having a hard time finding a part-time job for my last year of college.

I'm about to start school again on Wednesday and I don't have a job at the moment. This is my last year of college and my job search so far hasn't been lucky. I just had an interview today at a restaurant and I've never had experience with that before. Interview went horribly because I stumbled and got kind of flustered. I remember last year, there was a period where I was unemployed for 3 months and filled many applications for customer service jobs and I only got a response from one though I called the other places I applied to... That was a waste and I wasn't offered a job from any of those. I usually work better by myself and not around a lot of people which is the jobs I had before at my internships and cleaning jobs. People say that you can fit into any job, but I don't see myself fitting into any customer service jobs where I have to interact with a lot of people at a time. I get flustered pretty easily and it's embarrassing and I can't help it. I want to expand my experiences, but getting overly nervous is a flaw that I've always had.

Ughhh I guess that I am kind of ranting and feeling like crap about this. What should I do?

I usually work better by myself and not around a lot of people which is the jobs I had before at my internships and cleaning jobs. People say that you can fit into any job, but I don't see myself fitting into any customer service jobs where I have to interact with a lot of people at a time.

Yea... You have to have a personality, be willing to handle your own stress in front of customers without looking upset (even if they treat you like crap or insult you), and be willing to work with a ton of people in order to be successful in the restaurant business. It is a tough line of work that not everyone is cut out for. And finding a retail job after holiday season is almost impossible now.

Since it is your last year of college... Working in a job where you have to interact with people is a major resume booster. Many careers these days expect you to have these top two skills:

1. Problem solve under pressure.

2. Effectively communicate with people.

If you cannot show for this, you are going to have a hard time finding employment after college. Even jobs that don't require a huge amount of customer interaction will hire the candidate who can work with a variety of people without any issues (even in the IT world full of anti-social techs, companies want techs who can handle disgruntled customers expressing frustration about technical difficulties/loss of data, be able to explain the cause of the issues with no jargon, etc.)

If you need part time job during college, your only place to go is campus jobs while you apply for work outside. I would also seek the career center into finding suggestions to tweak resumes or build people skills (maybe a class or a campus meeting) that you can attend.

Spring semester hasn't started yet. Sometimes campus jobs start interviewing at the end of the fall semester because some of their workers graduate. However that doesn't mean there aren't any openings. You can check at a workforce agency (if there is one). Have you considered working for student housing?

Better yet, your first place to look is at your school's career center. They get job postings from around the community and are the first people to know about any campus openings.

Archived