Should I break up this relationship? (He doesn't express any feelings!)

JackieNirvana

Hi everyone, I would like to start off with a background about me and my boyfriend.

We met each other on Youtube because we made many similar videos and are interested in the same thing. After this, we even gamed as kids. He was just my online buddy for 6 years; we weren't in a romantic relationship or anything.

Most of the time we just played video games with each other or talked about school stuff.

Late of November 2013 we decided to meet up face-to-face and hung out at the movies and went to the mall together. When he went back to his city (we live 3 hours away), he decided to tell me he liked me for some time and wanted us to be a couple. I didn't like him that way for all the time I knew him, but I guess my feelings have changed so I accepted it.

The first two weeks of us being a couple, he was so talkative and wouldn't stop talking to me. We text all the time, and when we didn't, we called each other- and talked for hours. He would constantly try expressing his feelings for me.

After these two weeks, he changed a lot. He became very cold and reserved. His inability to express his emotions and feelings made me feel very insecure and sad.... I questioned his feelings for me and even confronted him once or twice about this. He assured me nothing was wrong and that he still loves me, but he told me he has a very hard time showing his emotions but he will try. I was very patient with him, but when we are together or talking, he's so shy and closed off that we don't act like a couple.

We both are each other's best friend. Both of us are currently attending separate colleges hours away; he also works and I volunteer. The two of us will become very busy once our semester starts and will have little or no time to see each other or talk as much as we used to. I still feel not stabilized because he acts so insensitive and unemotional, but I stopped bringing it up because I feel it would be a constant bother to him.

What do you guys think I should do? He wants to continue our relationship even if it's long distant...but I feel it may strain us more. I already am having problems with him and his inability to express emotions. I always feel he doesn't love me because he never tells me anymore or say anything that links with affections or emotions. In general, he treats me as a friend than anything more.

Don't tie yourself down to someone who's already changed towards you after only 2 weeks of being a couple. You could enjoy your college years as a free single girl. Why be tied down to someone who's insensitive and unemotional. You've managed to be friends with him for 6 years without romance coming into it so why try to have a romantic relationship now when it's already not making you happy? And as you say, you'll both be busy and not have much time to see each other. Those are all good reasons to not continue with the relationship.

You seem to want a relationship where your boyfriend shows more love and affection to you. You should definitely break up because he's not giving you what you want in a relationship, and you don't even know why he wants to be together either. Are you there for convenience, or does he truly love you? Because if he does truly love you, he'd express it in his own way, and you'd know it.

Archived