Sick and Tired of my Job

mbc230

I am going through some rough times right now and one of the major issues I am dealing with is my job. I work in the computer/technology field. It is not really the type of work I do, but where I do it at. I am at a company that bases all promotions on how much sucking up you do instead of basing it on how well you do the work/job. I hate the sucking up more then the politics, but I know I can not change it. I have been with the company for three years and have seen four open Senior level positions on the team I am on open up. Instead they looked outside the company to fill those positions. It has put a bad taste in my mouth for over three years. That is the main issue. The other issues might be trivial, but to me they are HUGE as my manager always picks one person on the team and uses them as there golden boy. That person is the go to person for all decisions that are to be made on our team. I do not feel like I am on a team, but more of an every man for himself type of group. On the three years I have been on the team I have not seen anyone from our group get promoted and they require we work overtime even though it is not written in stone, but it does reflect on our reviews if we don't so that means our bonuses will be effected. It is like they are using bribery to make us do extra work even though we all know if you are in the Information Technology field you know that working more then 40 hours a week is not uncommon and you might need to work more if required, which I am fine with, but I do not like being told what I need to do with my time outside of the required 40 hours a week. I can not talk to my manager as they are what you would call "YES" man/woman as they never say "NO" and they do not stand behind there employees. I feel like I am on the team where I am the dumping ground for all issues that occur on the team. There is another individual on my team that feels the same way, but I do not know if anything that can be done. I do not think management wants to hear my unhappiness and would more likely do nothing about it anyway as I have brought up my concerns about not getting a promotion as I was told basically that I need to suck up in order to get that promotion. I am not the type of person who believes in sucking up nor do I want to be that person. I believe I should get promoted based on the work I do and how well I do it. I do the job everyday, which to me is bull as I do the job everyday at a Sr. Level with Jr. Level pay. I am the only Jr. level employee on the team surrounded by Sr. Level employees who get the Sr. Level pay. I asked my manager as to why I did not even get considered or even asked to apply as he told me I do not have enough experience on the team yet and that I need to suck up in other words. My manager did not use sucking up as the term, but basically said I need to get up in front of upper management, which means to me sucking up. But an yet my manager looks externally for candidates who have no experience at the company I work at and would need to learn the environment as it is a complicated environment. You would figure if my manager had a brain that they would promote the guy on the team that has experience and might step up more to the plate as that person is being rewarded with a promotion that I am doing a good job. During the first year and half I was that guy who stepped up to the plate and took on more work, but when a promotion was not in sight I decided to just do the basics to keep my job and lay low and do not volunteer for more work at the same Jr. Level pay. The reason I am staying is because I am trying to build a new house now and I need the job until my new house is built and that I have closed on it, which will not be until summer so I can not find a new job or begin to look for a new job until that is complete. My current job is also close to my house I am renting, which saves me in gas, but still I do not even know if it is a reason to keep staying with the job that makes me miserable. I am also looking for possible opportunities within the company I work with, but have had no luck. I do not know if the whole company is the same way as the current team I am on, but it could be different that is why I am trying to keep a positive attitude. I have tried to get to know other groups outside of mine and talk to others, but it is hard when you are NOT apart of the groups of people who have been with the company 10 or more years. I am always looking for better opportunities, but I know I need to wait. I was thinking about going to upper management and telling them my concerns. but I need to wait until after the bonuses have been given out and completed, but I doubt that would do anything or make things better. I know nothing is perfect, but I would like to be more content and happy with something at my job other then just going to work for 9 hours a day and not feeling any sort of accomplishment. Have you had a similar situation? Any advise would help. Thank you.

What do you really want - a raise or a promotion?

What you call sucking up is part and parcel of any company when it comes to reaching senior level or management positions. Getting promoted to management is not about being a good worker bee and getting your projects dones, it's about having the right social skills to manage people. So yes, that means sucking up and the higher you go, the more skilled you need to be at that. Even if you are your own boss, you still have to suck up to your clients. Fail to do it, and your clients will drift off to your competition even if your prices are lower and your work is better. That's just reality of life. Resenting that is not going to get you promotions.

Now if what you really want is a raise, then take a different approach and ask for it. List your accomplishments, how you have done this and that, etc. what you need the raise for and so on. Be prepared to make a case for it. Chances are fair that you will get what you ask for because good IT people are hard to find. So you have value to the company that they are conscious about and will not want to lose.

If you want both, better get realistic and learn how to pucker up.

In order to get a promotion, you need to demonstrate not that you can do your current job well, but that you are capable of doing your boss's job well. Perhaps that's what they were trying to say when they told you you need to get up in front of upper management. To get promoted, you should seek out opportunities to lead projects. Then you can demonstrate your ability to manage other people, meet deadlines, work through obstacles independently, etc.

I've noticed that non-managers will usually do their jobs very well when the process is clearly outlined. But once they encounter an obstacle they won't work through it. So rather than consistently delivering, they're sometimes giving more excuses as to why the job couldn't be done, or trying to pass the ball around. It doesn't mean they aren't capable of being managers, it just means they haven't shifted their mindset yet.

Also, as a manager you do need to support your boss and represent the organization. Sometimes your boss makes a decision that you don't agree with but you have to still be the one to implement it or enforce it. If you give the impression that you're a difficult employee who refuses to go with the flow, then there's no way they're going to promote you.

Does it mean you become a yes-man who questions nothing? Of course not. It's about using maturity and thinking strategically to find collaborative, win-win solutions. With my boss, if there's something I feel really strongly about, I'll find some way of thinking it's her idea. It takes patience and a lot of careful consideration. It's about understanding the political context and the particular climate of your organization.

It's not just about "my boss gives me work and I do it so I should be promoted"

I am just trying to get what I deserve and there are companies I have worked at in the past that you do not need to suck up aka pucker up as they promote based on how good of a job you do..........I did not stay at those companies, because I was an IT contractor with no benefits. I needed benefits so I took my current job, but now I am regretting it. I can care less if my promotion was to go on the management track or stay on the technical track. It is up me leading projects and doing my job and making my team shine. What do you mean by "What you call sucking up is part and parcel of any company when it comes to reaching senior level or management positions." ? I would say that is called being a professional and treating others as a professional, which I am and have always tried to do.

What do you mean by this "my boss gives me work and I do it so I should be promoted"? If I understood you correctly I do the job and what is asked of me and try to become a huge success for my manager and my team, but that still does not get me the promotion I deserve nor does my manager see that. Isn't it your managers job to promote his people to upper management. If I was to do it then I might as well manage myself and eliminate all middle management. I can promote myself with no problem, but I am sick of doing my managers job. My manager should be doing all that work for me to get me the promotion I deserve. I see too many managers as middle level paper pushers.

Unless they're working hands-on on technical projects, they ARE middle level paper pushers. Who are you to decide whether or not you deserve a promotion? If you're not happy, stop whining and leave. If you're as good as you say, you'll have something else in no time.

Unless they're working hands-on on technical projects, they ARE middle level paper pushers. Who are you to decide whether or not you deserve a promotion? If you're not happy, stop whining and leave. If you're as good as you say, you'll have something else in no time.

Did you read my post? I can not leave as I need this job as I am building a new house. It is not up to me decide. What makes you say that?

Did you read my post? I can not leave as I need this job as I am building a new house. It is not up to me decide. What makes you say that?

You say you deserve this promotion, and I'm asking where you are coming up with that?

What does building a house have to do with anything? Income is income, and if you're making more, I don't see the problem? Are you still in the process of trying to get a loan? Either way, I don't see how more cash hurts you.

You say you deserve this promotion, and I'm asking where you are coming up with that?

What does building a house have to do with anything? Income is income, and if you're making more, I don't see the problem? Are you still in the process of trying to get a loan? Either way, I don't see how more cash hurts you.

It has a lot to do with it as you need to keep your job while you are going through the process. You could lose your loan if you lose the income or do not show history of holding down a job for some period of time, hence what I was told. What does this "I'm asking where you are coming up with that?" have to do with my feelings? That is pretty broad statement you asked. I am just airing out my feelings and maybe looking for suggestions is all.

I think I'd look for another job with less of a sucking-up climate, even though you're building a house. I don't think you're going to change anything at this company.

Thank you for the good feedback as that is what I was thinking too.

Given that you don't hold managers in high regard, what is it about the promotion that appeals to you? What would you bring to the role?

Where do you get that from? I hold a "Good" manager in high regards as I know they are out there. I am all about the money at this point in my career. I know corporate America nowadays is all about the mighty dollar and not about there employees at least from my experience in corporate. The small mom and pop shops are a lot better in my opinion, but do not pay. I already do the Sr. Level work, I think I deserve the pay that goes with it. I am a team player. I do what is asked of me. I always try to find process improvements and go above and beyond of what is asked of me. I am a positive person and I know I am not perfect, but I try my best to improve on my knowledge as well as myself.

It has a lot to do with it as you need to keep your job while you are going through the process. You could lose your loan if you lose the income or do not show history of holding down a job for some period of time, hence what I was told. What does this "I'm asking where you are coming up with that?" have to do with my feelings? That is pretty broad statement you asked. I am just airing out my feelings and maybe looking for suggestions is all.

How does leaving a job for one that pays more, jeopardize this?

What do your feelings have to do with getting a promotion? You sound oversensitive, and I did give you a suggestion.

You say you have a business, all-about-the-money approach, but you don't, because you'd be gone if you did. You wouldn't even have taken a position that wasn't paying what you're worth. It sounds like you're a good worker, so I maintain you can probably find what you're looking for, or much closer to it, with relative ease. What sector of IT do you work in?

How does leaving a job for one that pays more, jeopardize this?

What do your feelings have to do with getting a promotion? You sound oversensitive, and I did give you a suggestion.

You say you have a business, all-about-the-money approach, but you don't, because you'd be gone if you did. You wouldn't even have taken a position that wasn't paying what you're worth. It sounds like you're a good worker, so I maintain you can probably find what you're looking for, or much closer to it, with relative ease. What sector of IT do you work in?

If you switch jobs they want to see history at the same company or the same field. So it would not be a good idea for me to leave. We all need jobs unless we have money and do not need to work. I want a job where I have a career and not just a place I go to for a paycheck, but that is just my experience.

Archived