Feeling confused

Jennifer778

Hi. I am new to this forum and currently feeling very confused.

I have been seeing this wonderful man for 6 months now and we are very close. On New Year's Eve I stupidly text him say "I love you" he replied the next morning saying he was sorry for the late reply, he had fallen asleep and ended the message with I love you too. I replied saying I was glad my message didn't freak him out and he replied back saying he would prefer to discuss stuff like that face to face which was totally cool with me. So today, we were laying in bed cuddling and I decided to bring up the topic of conversation. It took me ages to get out what I was trying to say and first of all told him I had fallen in love with him..... His response "I think I've fallen in love with you too" so the word think hurt a little but we carried on cuddling and as he was kissing me I slipped in "I love you" .... Silence.... Then he says. "I only haven't said it back incase you thought I was just saying it".....fair enough..... So I waited, we cuddled some more then he left about half hour ago and never actually said it back. Now I am sat here feeling so confused and like a bit of an idiot ..... Any advice? X

Sounds like you are being over sensitive and way over thinking this. "I think" is just a figure of speech showing agreement, not an expression of doubt. Stop driving yourself crazy. If you love him, tell him that because that's how you feel. Don't hold the other person hostage to tell you what you want to hear right in that moment. It sounds like he picked up on that and chose to back out of what was growing into an emotionally awkward, pressured moment. Let him say it when he feels comfortable saying it, when he feels the moment is right. It doesn't mean that he doesn't feel it for you, but feeling and expressing are two different things. It seems like there was too much tension in the air at that moment.

Sounds like you are being over sensitive and way over thinking this. "I think" is just a figure of speech showing agreement, not an expression of doubt. Stop driving yourself crazy. If you love him, tell him that because that's how you feel. Don't hold the other person hostage to tell you what you want to hear right in that moment. It sounds like he picked up on that and chose to back out of what was growing into an emotionally awkward, pressured moment. Let him say it when he feels comfortable saying it, when he feels the moment is right. It doesn't mean that he doesn't feel it for you, but feeling and expressing are two different things. It seems like there was too much tension in the air at that moment.

Thank you for your reply, it really helped out things into perspective. I think you are right and I've had a couple of hours to think about it and some messages from him, just normal ones which is nice actually. I did say it cos I mean it and who knows, maybe when I am least expecting it, he will say it back. After all, he said it in a text so I haven't completely blown it!

Do you think you will tell him?

Before I told my fella I got it straight in my head that it doesn't matter if he doesn't say it back but when he didn't it crushed me however he has been texting me all evening and being so lovely that I now feel really pleased I told him because, going by the look on his face, I made him happy and actually that's what's important x

Archived