Advice going to weddings/engagements after being dumped?

Its torture! And I'm not coping well with it. Our friends and my ex and I were in the same boat dating for 4 plus years and now they are all moving forward getting engaged and married and I can't help but feel heartbroken all over again when I hear another friend of ours gets engaged.

I have a wedding to go to tomorrow, not sure if ex will be there but I'm feeling bummed about it already. And I learnt this morning that another of our friends got engaged last night and I had a cry this morning about it.

Any advice? Just so hard when I feel like it was meant to be me.

hugs. half of them will be divorced soon enough.

lol. ok, just joking. i know it sucks being single when everyone and their mom is getting married. just hang in there. maybe some of your friends might know a single guy they can introduce you to. just try to have fun, make conversation, enjoy the food and wine. if the wedding is really getting you down, leave after an hour, say you have a bad migrane.

hang in there!

It's been a while - but last time I was faced with that particular situation, the invitation actually came for me and my ex *shudder*.

I called and asked if I could bring a friend instead, as we were no longer together - and brought my best girl pal with me. It didn't make it perfect by far - but it DID give me someone "with" me to talk to, sit beside, and go to the buffet with, and dance. So I actually had a not horrible time. Yes, it still stung seeing some of the couples - but got asked to dance by enough of the single guys that it was a bit of an ego boost, and I didn't have to let my friend down by not going.

I had this situation about 5 months ago, a cousins wedding. The actual ceremony was pretty damn hard, and the speeches at the reception were also pretty hard. Just tried my hardest to focus on feeling good for the couple getting married. Once the formalities were out of the way, there was plenty of alcohol and a disco to make a fool of myself on after with extended family I don't get to see much, and people I hadn't met before- Turned out to be a pretty fun night, in the end. Just try your hardest to enjoy yourself - it's easier if you remember that it's only for one day.

It sucks make the best of it.... I also have 3 weddings to go to this year. One I have to travel and only know the bride. That is going to be a sucky time. Can already see it... The others I will know pretty much everyone so I will have fun... also have a life event going on later this year with no one to go and share it with...

Everyone will have someone there pretty much but me... Even if I meet someone(s) I will not be inviting them to these things most likely...

One of my best friends of 9+ years and a guy who I consider blood was set to be married about 2 months after my own fiancee' of 4.5 years left me. I was also supposed to be his best man since although he has 3 brothers he feels he doesn't have the bond with them that he does with me and even though it killed me to do it I ended up having to decline even going. He was needless to say extremely pissed off but I truly felt that it was the right thing for me considering the fragile state I was in at the time and looking back I still believe that and because we are as close as we are he ultimately understood and we are probably even closer now than ever and have even gotten a place together due to the fact that the girl he married left him 3 months later so I did say that I will be at his next wedding since I know it will be with the person that will stay with him forever.

Since then I have been to a handful of weddings and they have been difficult to different degree's depending on whose they were, who was going to be there and where I was mentally when I was invited and on the day of the event but at each one I luckily was able to get there and immediately zone in on a particular person or people or aspect of the event that was able to distract the hurting feelings and let me enjoy the time for what it was and i think ultimately it'll just get easier each one I go to and it will for you too.

thanks for sharing your story! wow, that is awful, i am sorry that your fiance left you so close to the wedding and his left him after 3 months. it's good that you focus on the positives of the wedding, i bet that does help get you through the day.

thanks for sharing your story! wow, that is awful, i am sorry that your fiance left you so close to the wedding and his left him after 3 months. it's good that you focus on the positives of the wedding, i bet that does help get you through the day.

Thank you and yes it was pretty awful and even worse was the fact we felt both girls weren't really the closest of friends we had wanted them to be and yet after the fact we found out that both we're talking and hanging out probably discussing what they had done to us which in each case involved both of them cheating which just has to this day shaking our heads at them and being in amazement that we both fell for their lies.

Ultimately like I said he is like blood and there's a reason we're going on 10 years of friendship and those relationships we're only 4.5 and 3 years.

Archived