Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Misinterpreted abbreviations.

ChilliRed2013

I just laugh when remembering first joining this site.

I had deciphered in my head that OP was short for Other Person. Used it a couple of times before realising my error.

Whoops!

I also remember running into LOL almost two decades ago on the old public chat sites. Lol... Lollies? Why were people starting to lolly?

My favourite is LSHIDALWIMP. That required an immediate explanation before I made a fool of myself

FYI, IMHO, .. 2IC, DUI etc.. ever misread or been totally stumped by these?

I also remember running into LOL almost two decades ago on the old public chat sites. Lol... Lollies? Why were people starting to lolly?

LOL has a different meaning when talking about bridge (the card game). Most bridge players today are retired older people, and I'm one of the younger people who play it. I was on a bridge discussion forum and they kept saying LOL. "The LOL on my left played the king of hearts, the LOL on the right played a trump, etc." I had no idea what this meant and it finally hit me: "Little Old Lady"

My niece was the first one to message me LOL (probably 13 years ago) -I also thought it meant lots of love and was so flattered that she felt that way about me!

Of course you can send yourself lots of love. ;-)

My favourite is LMFAO. Boy, did I LOL when I finally worked out what the F meant. Dunno why I thought it was so funny!

Not an internet acronym, but the bank HSBC, to me, looks like "High School of British Columbia".

One invention I've always wished for is a "fuzzy acronym decoder". It would not store a list of acronyms but instead it would search for patterns. For example, if you gave it "LMSAO" it would suggest things like "Laughing my ________ ass off" or "Let me _______ ________ __________". From the list of suggestions you might be able to deduce what any given acronym might mean.

Archived