New Year Party was a Downer

diamondhead

Don't invest all your happiness into the thought that being in a relationship will make all the ills of this world disappear. It's normal to feel lonely and want a relationship but it's not healthy to let it affect you to the degree that you can't be happy without one.

What are your goals for the new year? Finding a partner is obviously one of them but, outside of that, what else do you have going on or want to have going on?

I'm the same way at times but over the past couple of years (and particularly new years day, as I know it's been tied to romance in a way) I've grown to genuinely enjoy my time alone. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to go on dates once in a while and maybe find a relationship with somebody but it's no longer as much of a priority. And I say this as someone who was extremely clingy and devoted to that idea, so it can be done, if you'd like to pursue other things. You'll find a surprising amount of happiness in doing so as well.

Much as the last poster asked, what are some of your goals for the new year not related to being alone or not. What makes you happy in general? What areas would you like to improve in or continue to excel at? Those are all great ways to make 2014 a standout year right from the start. Best of luck and Happy New Year! Also, on a side note, at least you got out to a party, it couldn't have been too bad. I'm sitting alone at my parents' tonight, watching the ball drop on TV. Nothing spectacular, but hey, life is what you make it.

I am depressed again. Maybe I need to start from a different point, as a different person.

I don't want to be alone anymore.

When you begin to start loving yourself unconditionally, being alone will not cripple you to the point where you'll take anyone, even someone bad for you, just to say you're not alone.

You don't need to be a different person; you just need to love and accept who you are.

maybe it's just me (and a few other people) but I typically find NYE parties to be downers. I have much more fun at halloween parties, to be honest. It's a lot of hype, a lot of money, and sometimes a lot of drama.

I hope you have a great day and enjoy things from here on out!

I am depressed again. Maybe I need to start from a different point, as a different person.

I don't want to be alone anymore.

I was like that last year. In the few next months I got married. Not alone anymore, things are bit better, but I realized weather had something to do with how I thought that part of the year

Hey, at least you got to go to a party! I got invited to three different ones, and my friend's band was playing a big NYE show, so I thought I was going to have an epic night - but I got super-sick and stayed home! Started to feel bad at work yesterday, and we even got sent home early so I thought I'd have time to rest up before going out, but I felt like I had a fever. I was trying to will myself to get better so I could make it out the door (MUST. GO. TO. PARTY.) but I realized that feeling like I did I wouldn't exactly make for the best conversationalist ("Hi! May I cough and sweat on you?") so I stayed home and watched Netflix. Humbug.

I agree with the others - it's one thing to be lonely sometimes and wish you had someone to go spend time with, but having that certainly doesn't solve your problems, nor does it always make life easier. Find a few "fall back" activities that you can do on your own, so even if you're stuck being alone, go and do one to at least distract yourself from the fact that you are alone. Or call a friend and go hang out so you're not alone!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived