Meeting new people

sunnysideup

Hi,

I posted a message here earlier about something that went on with a friend of mine that basically didn't work out at all. I was wondering in a more abstract way if anyone has any hints or tips as to how I can meet more suitable dates, once I've got over my most recent failure?

Luckily, I'm very busy at university for the next 5-6 months, which will take my mind off things. However, the past couple of years have been an absolute minefield as regards finding dates. I tried the internet dating thing for a while and got on with it to some extent while I was at home, but when I was at uni, I wasn't finding as many suitable matches. The problem is that my course is so demanding that I only seem to find the time to see people who do that same particular course, particularly because I'm in my final year. I imagine it will be the same next year, when I'm hopefully doing a master's degree in the same subject, and when I'll probably be thinking about trying to date again. It's also pretty much accepted that the people on the course are cutthroat and competitive, so I've had some particularly harsh knock-backs from fellow law students in the past.

I'm just frustrated because I never seem to meet eligible men anywhere. It's not that I am but I'm overlooking them, as I haven't had a guy ask me out...well, ever. I always seem to get into relationships with guys who like the woman to be doing the chasing (even though I personally prefer to be the subject of the chase). Any tips about what I can do to maybe get a bit of flirting going with the people I meet on a day-to-day basis, or to extend my circle without too much effort? I think a healthy bit of flirting would be nice during the next stressful 6 months. The problem is I always get terrified introducing myself to new people, e.g. in a lecture theatre, or even sitting next to people I've met before but don't know very well. Tips to boost my confidence?

Honestly, this seems like an easy one since you are at school and there are so many social groups and meeting places.

Just be around people a lot and smile a lot. Don't expect it but have the mindset that you just want to meet people.

Yes, it's fun to be chased, but there's nothing wrong with a strong, confident woman who knows what she wants.

Just ask people what they are reading, get extra help, or what they do for stress. Strike up a conversation or two. Hang out at the coffee shop with some work. Go for walks. Go to the gym. If I had known this stuff when I was at University, I would probably have ignored it.

School is a good place. Honestly, if you're careful about it of course, you might want to give online dating a try. I was super skeptical at first, but made a profile to meet more people in my area for friends and ended up finding someone really amazing and meeting some really cool people. Best of luck!

Archived