Is it a good idea to work late nights while being a full-time college student

bamboobam

I've been looking for a job and it's a janitorial job where the hours are 8pm-midnight every weeknight. I am planning on taking 5 classes (15 credits) and I really don't want to be overwhelmed or too tired. Should I go for it or look for something with less hours or something that ends earlier than midnight every night?

I'd say it depends on when your classes are. My 2nd semester sophmore year of college, I had an 8am class everyday ~ when I went home for spring break I was practically a zombie. I then decided to withdraw from one of my 8am classes as it just took way too much out of me.

If your classes are 11am or later, then a four-hour night shift 5 days a week probably won't be too bad.

ughhh..... honestly, 8-12 is prime studying time. it's not great to be making money but then doing poorly in your classes. are there other jobs you can try to find? i did some tutoring jobs and research jobs. That helped out. better hours as well. library positions are highly coveted as well. being a janitor isn't going to help you much in your next career, whereas a research job or tutoring job might.

Depends on when your classes are. What is the difference between working 2-6 in the afternoon or 8-12 midnight? None really. If you go to bed when you get home from work, go to a 9 am class and then study before you go to work. Or have classes starting at 2. If you need the money and have the weekends to study, 15 hours is not bad hours for a student. If you were working 40 - thats a lot. but 15 is not bad. Its the same as someone working weekends and being off during the week.

It's not so much the time schedule of the classes that would be the issue. My concern is the amount of essays, readings, projects, and exam studying time the OP will have to do for 5 classes that matters. 20 hours is a lot for a full-time college student. I used to take 15 credits per semester as an undergrad and there were a couple classes I had to retake because my part-time retail job interfered with balancing my school assignments and studying.

I recommend looking into taking a part time job on campus. They don't pay much, but they allow student employees to study or do school work during non busy hours.

How badly do you need a job right now? Are you going to struggle to feed yourself without this job, or is it for money to blow on the weekends? Or somewhere in between?

Give it a try for a semester, and if you're grades suffer due to the job, then quit. They'll be able to find someone else quickly, so no need to feel bad there.

How badly do you need a job right now? Are you going to struggle to feed yourself without this job, or is it for money to blow on the weekends? Or somewhere in between?

Its called pride and work ethic. Money can get you extra opportunities for learning, pay for gas for the car and can be put away for emergencies (illness, car breaks down, travel because a relative died or something else unexpected)

Its called pride and work ethic. Money can get you extra opportunities for learning, pay for gas for the car and can be put away for emergencies (illness, car breaks down, travel because a relative died or something else unexpected)

He's a full time college student, there's plenty of pride to be had in that, and it takes a good work ethic to maintain your grades. Do I need to to explain why he doesn't need money for extra learning opportunities at the moment? I also don't need an explanation of money and what it can be used for.

Anyway, your comment was completely irrelevant to the questions I asked, not to mention, obtuse. I was trying to understand if he can afford to live without a job, and figure out whether it is work the potential risk to his grades or not. Is it really worth the pride, work ethic, and menial pay if he ends up failing classes? On the flip side, it is worth it if he needs to money eat and live.

My college roommate was on academic probation because she wasn't balancing her job and studies well. What's the point in a job if you're failing out of college? I also want to emphasize that if you do take a job, try to get one in your chosen field, even an internship, because that will help you make connections and score a job when you graduate.

Archived