Is being called "sweet" on a first date a death sentence

Coonsy

Well, death sentence="friendzone only"?

So guys, if you call a girl "sweet" on a first date, is that your way of saying "eh, you're nice enough but I'm not interested" or am I reading too much into it? I honestly think this may be the first time I've been called sweet on a first date, but I am trying to let my softer side out a little more right away than I historically have, too.

I'm pretty socially retarded when it comes to reading people's interest (or lack thereof - it goes both ways), and simple google searches were less than helpful and only proceeded to confuse me more.

Probably the only reason I even picked up on it was that I'm not used to hearing that...which is what makes me think I'm maybe reading too much into it, but maybe I'm not?!? Ugh!

It can go either way, depends on the dude. I never give a woman any compliment that i am not interested in, but thats just me, they wont hear "sweet", "nice", or even "cool". When i do say sweet i just mean that shes very nice and caring. Many people dont put a lot of careful planning into the words they say, so i never really put careful thought into what they mean... unless i know for sure that their body-language, situation, etc. seem to add up to something.

ya you're reading too much into it...is this guy showing his interest in other ways? is he enthusiastic to see you? is he making plans to see you? does he initiate contact with you? it is pretty obvious when a guy likes you because he makes it very clear. if this guy is just calling you sweet and not showing any other interest then most likely he is not interested.

go with the flow and see how things turn out. i wouldn't make a final judgement until it is clear that he is just not interested. some guys move slow.

Haha, when I read the thread title I just assumed this must be a guy posting. If it was a guy, being called "sweet" by a woman might indeed be bad!

But in your case, yeesh, yeah I think you are over-analyzing. Being called "sweet" is hardly a "death sentence"! You'll just have to wait and see how things shake out.

Archived