Getting the flu shot

I have only had the flu shot once in my life and that was a several years ago when i was really sick with a chronic illness and my immune system was compromised. Other than that I (personally) don't feel that it is necessary for me to get the shot. I think young children, elderly people, and those with compromised immune systems should probably get the shot, but if you are otherwise a healthy individual, your body can probably fight off the flu no problem.

I think I've had the flu shot maybe twice in my life. One time made me so sick I was in bed for nine days. So out of the 47 years of my life I've had the flu shot twice I've only ever had the flu twice in my whole life. I am also asthmatic. I don't really worry about it. My son has never had a flu shot in his whole life ever. He has had the flu once and he is 16.

I guess you have to decide if you want to risk it or not. I know people get up in arms about it but very good regular handwashing and cleanliness usually does a lot of good to keep away germs.

Here is the CDC website about the flu shot:

link removed

Read it and determine if you are in one of the risk categories, or live with someone who is.

Pharmacies often offer it if you don't have medical insurance for around $25. Are you in the US? Everyone can enroll in health insurance now.

However, it is rather late in the season, I'm not sure if there is a point in getting it now... not unless you are in a risk group.

I work in healthcare and absolutely get one every year. I also am exposed to my family, who works in healthcare too. The flu sucks. The shot is necessary for me. I honestly think it should be required for those who work in healthcare or nursing homes. Unless they have a reaction.

I think all old folks and those with immune system issues should get one but it may not be necessary for you.

Archived