Just eating to live in a society that lives to eat

Fudgie

I bit the bullet and got my weight loss surgery done before before year's end. It's done. It's permanent. I haven't had any "real" food in a few weeks, just high protein liquids and water. No soups or anything like that. I've already lost almost 20 lb so far.

I also went through the surgery without the use of pain killers or narcotics. My choice there. Hate that stuff.

My incisions are healing up okay and I'm feeling okay, just tired, mostly. I'm barely taking in anything right now, just following doctor's orders. I am still doing my best to walk everyday to keep up my activity.

It feels very weird now. I do crave protein now and then and eventually, I'll get to eat it once I am healed. But that won't be for AT LEAST a couple more weeks. I am not really wanting carbs at all. I really "detoxed" myself from them and feel better. My face cleared up, acne 100% gone. My insulin resistance is already improving and my period came back. But food....it's so weird. Everyone asks if I feel starving or sad. No, not really. Everyone is obsessing over holiday meals and I'm just...not. I don't really care. My family didn't even bother to make desserts this year. Some people were SHOCKED to hear that I haven't had nor will have any Christmas cookies. My family is having a Christmas dinner but I won't be able to eat any of it and I'm okay with that.

"It isn't Christmas without Christmas food!"

I don't know, I'm just finding it so bizarre. It's not a wonder why so many people are overweight. We are so bombarded by food. It's so engrained in our culture to an emotional extent that I find really disturbing. I really had to "detox" myself to see this. I understand now. I look forward to continuing to detach myself from this. It will take a lot of time.

As anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts? I really think the key to my continued weight loss will be keeping up my activity level, eating healthy, and not seeing food as some "treat", just as fuel. I almost wish I could stay on protein meal replacement drinks for life because it's so easy!

Those of you who got and stayed healthy, how did you cope with this?

Sometimes eating a big, hearty and fatty meal IS healthy, especially in the winter when your body needs more fat and protein to stay warm. There's also the consideration of what's not only healthy for your body, but what's healthy for your mind, soul, and feeling of well-being. Regardless of any of that, though, I feel that Thanksgiving and Christmas are two times out of the year where a lot of people feel they can finally indulge. A little break from the dieting and all that, and yeah, sometimes people regret it afterwards but they'll still do the same thing the following year. It sort of goes along with the holiday cheer and all that jazz.

But I do understand where you're coming from and if you fear your mindset is weird or unnecessary, don't. Especially given that you've just had surgery and your goal is clearly to shapen up to a healthier lifestyle. You should be proud of yourself, actually, since going along with what I stated above some people who are doing your thing really struggle to not give in to the temptation of going food-crazy during this time of year, and it sounds like you're not struggling with that at all. I do find it a little bizarre that your friends/family aren't being more understanding given that you've JUST had your operation. But that's the majority of people, isn't it? Unable to understand what they haven't been through themselves...

I'm not even sure if this kind of post is what you were looking for or if my words are of any benefit whatsoever, but I am happy to hear that you've went ahead and got it over with and that you're feeling great about yourself and what the future has in store. Happy Holidays to you, Fudgie.

Good Luck Fudgie.....and congratulations!

(lol...just typing your name reminded me of the fudge i made yesterday for Christmas!)

I really do over eat....a lot. It's really more of a 'no one is gonna look at me, so i might as well enjoy myself and eat junk!"

I still FEEL healthy. I can still walk, work, climb, kayak, etc. But the thing i miss most? I don't feel sexy.

And not having a man in my life.....and not looking for one cuz i don't think i could be 'sexy' feeling this way....is a REAL bummer!

Today is my birthday.

I'm going to pretend I'm really not as old as i am!!! lol

You are so young, i hope the food addiction will be a habit that you will be able to kick for the rest of your life!

Merry Christmas Fudgie.....and you might want to think of a new name!!!!!!!!

It's certainly not just this culture that thinks of food as more than fuel. As far back as you go in human civilization, and accross all cultures, people have gathered and celebrated around feasts, occasions were marked by food, and breaking bread together has been a sign of hospitality and friendship. How to prepare dishes and cuisine is a universally revered skill accross the world. The culinary arts attest to the primacy of food as a pleasure, not just a necessity. And I can't imagine any courtship without the excitement of trying different restaurants and foods together -- for many, it's even a type of adventure.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with loving and savoring food. It can be, and should be, one of life's pleasures. The idea of trying to make food only about fuel to me is like saying sex should only be about procreation. We were given senses and tastebuds for a reason! A hearty appetite is healthy and natural. That kind of answers your last question: though I was never obese or even overweight, I used to have food issues and once struggled with an eating disorder as well as fluctuating weight (due to health problems), and I find that when I'm living a life that is more in balance, there is a balance of robust appetite/partaking in food, and feeling healthily satiated/having other things to live for. I would never want to give up either of these sides of the balancing scale -- and think the Golden Mean here is the healthiest approach.

The problems come from much deeper issues -- our culture sends all kinds of neurotic messages about body image, there are high rates of depression and anxiety with the way we live our lives so food is used to "medicate" emotional pain, we are all varying degrees of toxic physically (speaking of "detox"), based on where we live (environment), our lifestyle and especially what our diets consist of -- so a vicious circle of abnormally strong cravings, hormonal imbalances and weight gain ensues. Every time I turn on the TV, I see commercials making something like Pillsbury cinnamon rolls look like a vibrantly wholesome breakfast, replete with sunshine spilling into the kitchen, casting halos around rosy-cheeked children whose slim, pretty mommies serve up the warm goodness, when the fact of the matter is that they're serving up pure processed sugar and carb bombs of empty calories that will spike the children's insulin for a glucose crash (just what you want in the morning when the brain needs sustained energy for school), won't provide them with nutrition, and will start the ball rolling towards aberrant appetite problems, adult food craving, and obesity.

And next commercial is for some "healthy" granola-type cereal, but if you're a smart shopper and label-reader, you'll see that this, too, is a gigantic marketing hoax, because a few almonds and bits of fruit in a cereal is better than none at all, but since it's still loaded with undesirable fats and sweeteners and preservatives and long names of chemicals (to cater to already-desensitized palettes), it's still a load of garbage the body has to detoxify.

So the problem is not our love of food, our problem is our concept of what food IS. And the portions we consume.

And our worship of 80-hour workweeks that leave us with no time to prepare a real meal. And our chronic sleep deprivation due to the above, which slows metabolism, and increases appetite. And our unbalanced/disconnected relationships with ourselves, our bodies, and other people, and our values overall that have us needing extremes of sensational overload and instant gratification to enjoy anything.

There is so much being consumed that isn't even real food. Some food, such as fast food, is actually cooked in a manner that it creates addictive biochemistry (watch the movie "Supersize Me.") A lot of convenience foods wreck havoc on the brain.

I believe a lot of this can be turned around by cleaning up with a truly clean and healthy diet. And then we can be a decent weight AND enjoy food.

You know some of my views on this, so I'll just say I certainly hope, Fudgie, that you'll be able to eat a range of healthy, nutritious food after you heal. Because losing weight is a great goal, but being of normal weight isn't the only thing a person needs to be healthy. The quality of the food is essential, and the amount of nutrients you're getting. So a long-term plan of protein drinks (which are filled with a lot of artificial and unhealthy additives, if you're talking about the commercial brands like Ensure -- one of my doctors told me "that's such crap") would not be a healthy choice. Your body needs a wide array of minerals and vitamins, and not out of a can -- from real food, which is not denatured into pills or liquids in a factory. I know a number of people who are rail-thin but their diets are not good or complete, and they're not healthy, even though they're slim.

I know you're on a transitional diet now, but just in terms of overall wishes, I'd definitely wish for you NOT to be subsisting on synthesized, artificially laced protein drinks.

But congrats on the weight lost so far, and I hope you continue to recover well.

A friend of mine at work got the surgery and at first had the same outlook (could live on protein shakes) and eventually was ready to eat again, although not as much as before since the surgery essentially prevents overeating.

Just be mindful not to judge others and what/how much they eat just because you've had your own revalation. They might binge once a year during the holidays, they might overeat daily... Just like they (hopefully!) didn't judge you as you reached the point of needing surgery, don't pass judgement on them. They might not be able to wrap their minds around how to get through the holidays without all the food because that's what they're used to. They're not in your shoes and you've likely been in their shoes. I think it's wonderful that you'll have a whole new perspective on the holidays and might value more of the other aspects of the celebrating like the time together or a good holiday movie. In addition to the improved health, that new lens on things will be a real gift!

You must feel GREAT already and it'll keep getting better...congratulations and best wishes with your healthier lifestyle and continued success!!

I love to eat and am a foodie but I don't like to feel too full and certainly not overly full. I had somewhat of an eating disorder in my teens/early 20s so I had to work on getting back to my normal hunger/full cues and portion control. Back then I did overeat at times and didn't mind the downside of feeling overly full. Sometimes I have to do portion control but typically not. I am thin and have been thin or "slim" all of my life. I do see where it must be really hard for people who are trying to lose weight or who are not interested in food to be part of certain cultures (like mine!). It's a challenge finding the right balance for my young son - I want him to enjoy food and celebrations that include food, as well as to have "treats" or special time with us that include treats but yet to understand food as fuel and healthful eating. I'm sure it's harder for girls especially as they get older.

I'm so glad you're recovering nicely and hope the recovery continues to go smoothly and that you get your appetite back!

Yay congrats on that big step. My best friend did his surgery on Nov 4th and I remember visiting him in the hospital and asking him what made him do it then as opposed to getting it done after the holidays and he said "I just wanted to be done with it already". Holidays had always been big eating days for him so yeah I was kind of surprised that he did it but was so very proud of him for doing it. He had talked about it here and there over the years but I knew food was very important to him. In just three weeks he lost 70lbs! Unbelievable, here I am struggling to lose another 14 lbs. Blah.

Which surgery did you get hon?

Whoa, lotta replies!

LikeWater

Personally, I think that large/fatty meals are really only beneficial for people who are underweight, homeless, etc. In a nation where most are overweight/obese (like myself), we clearly could do without.

I am already starting to revamp what I think the holidays mean. I do get that a BIG part of it = FOOD to most people but I don't think it will help me to incorporate food into my holidays anymore. I personally haven't had any Christmas cookies in a long time. Don't really care to make them anymore, too much effort. I have the recipes, I used to make 6+ different kinds from scratch that have been in my family for years but I don't know if I'll ever do it again and that's okay. I did eat Thanksgiving this year but it was barely anything and I was okay with that. I had one slice of turkey and some green beans.

But thank you, Merry Christmas to you. From what I've reading, many people struggle at my stage. I am not a "fresh" out of surgery person either. It was several, several days ago. I did have one day where I really craved food but not enough to eat it, but it depressed me. I soldiered through and now feel great. I think it's because I am no longer taking in processed carbs and other junk. That really makes the difference. I think most food cravings are emotional or related to processed carbs. Those things make you hungry.

It's actually just my coworkers and a few of my friends who are being weird. My family is very supportive. Some lady got sort of offended at work because she brought in Christmas cookies and saw that I didn't eat any and she kept asking why. I told her I was cutting carbs. She was like "It's not Christmas without Christmas cookies!" upon which I informed her that my family isn't making Christmas cookies this year and that we're managing just fine. She acted appalled...over cookies. I just think that's....ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Realitynut

I really hope you find a wonderful man who will make you feel sexy inside and out! Happy birthday to you!

My mom sort of overeats like you do "Shhhhh no one is looking" but it's really rare for her and she's not overweight.

tiredofvampires

I guess what I am worried about is that I don't really think eating for pleasure should or even can exist in my life. I should eat when I am hungry and I can appreciate the taste but I shouldn't be (and I can't really) eat for pleasure. eating shouldn't be an activity for me. I am finding now that when I drink my protein drink, I take in about 3 oz and I feel "full". Full is actually a tiny bit of discomfort, a physical sign to stop, actual pain in a way. It feels like a little bloat in my chest and I really hate it. It's a bad feeling. When that happens, I don't want anything to do with food and I get up and do something else. Not very fun or pleasurable for me anymore. I find it boring to eat with other people now. Before my surgery while I was drinking liquids, I did try to go to a holiday party but without the food and everyone being so strange about me not eating...I just cut out early and found something else to do.

I was invited to a few parties/dinners in Jan and Feb but I declined already. I can't control exactly what's in the food and that worries me. My friends are welcome to come and see me or hang out with me but I don't want the center of these interactions to be FOOD so I just declined.

My boyfriend doesn't even fully "get" it. He thinks I'll still go out with him to eat a coupel times a week and honestly, pre surgery, I thought I would too, but now I don't want to. So he's gonna have to do it himself.

Surgery really does change you. I really underestimated that for myself. I thought I would miss food like other people would at my stage and would be able to look forward to eating but I don't feel that way at all. Something has definitely changed. I feel only physical hunger but no cravings outside of protein (I, which is obvious. I am not able to take in enough at this stage.

I am with you on the processed carbs and other crap. The cereal industry is full of it! I seriously feel so good now that I've cut them out for good. Bread, pasta, tortillas, rice, all gone! Although I did find an extremely low carb tortilla that I may use in the future for wraps. I tossed all carbs out before my surgery and I don't intend to eat them again. I'll get my carbs from veg and fruit. I like chicken, fish, beef, turkey, eggs, shrimp, and pork and I intend to eat all of these once I am healed in healthy dishes. My store also sells cheap ($5) free-range plain rotisserie whole chickens to go, which are delicious and easy. I already was buying them and then re-purposing them so I'll just keep doing that. I figure I'll just make a LOT of a dish ahead of time. I can always buy an egg to eat at work if I need to.

Don't worry I won't be on protein drinks forever >

savignon

I admit, I definitely judge. I think it's gross now and I'm appalled I used to eat a lot. I think "wow, you don't know what you're doing to your body do you?" I don't say anything though. I'm sure they judged me too before surgery and I don't blame them. I was, and still am (right now) fat and that has a lot of negative things that comes with it. I don't really mind if people judge me for my choices as long as they keep it to themselves. I've definitely had some health improvements.

Batya

I agree, it's a hard balance! I don't really know how people do it. I do hope the appetite stays away though. Being full is uncomfortable so I definitely don't want to eat unless I need to.

metrogirl

Wow! Your friend did great! I was asked by my boss the same "Why not wait until after the holidays?" I just didn't want to wait. I cared more about getting healthier than staying unhealthy for longer just so I could eat at Christmas. You know? I met a woman who got the same surgery on the same day as I did and she was lamenting not being able to eat at Christmas...I don't get that. I think you have to want it more than wanting to taste things. Every year my mom makes a yummy beef tenderloin. None for me this year! Next year, maybe, but only 3 oz and maybe a bite of beans. It's really okay.

I chose not to have my intestines bypassed. I just had 85-90% of my stomach removed. The greater curvature of it is just gone. When I consume anything now, I can actually feel it settle in there. It's bizarre.

I must admit, I'm surprised about what you're saying about all the carb "detox" you're going through, and how you've given up carbs and junk, and how this is a shift from your overeating.

I was under the impression that you had long been on a very low-carb diet (hardly ate any carbs, and certainly not empty processed ones), shunned "junk", cooked healthy meals, ate lots of fruits and veggies, and did not have sugar/carb cravings (just protein). I also got the impression that you were not overeating, just that you could not lose weight even trying to eat less.

Sounds like your diet was fairly poor before surgery.

It makes me wonder how many people don't feel they are able to change their diets and make different choices UNLESS they get this surgery.

Hmmm.

I just wanted to add, as long as on a regular, daily basis, you're (as in, anyone) eating moderately and healthily and stopping when you're full, I don't see any harm in once in a while indulging at special events and on holidays, and thinking of foods as "treats". Being over-full and having eaten too much is something the body is capable of handling fine, just as long as it's not extreme or on a regular basis. I don't often overeat, but when I do, I just go back to my usual routine the next day and no biggie. I think people can get away with the Christmas onslaught as long as they're mindful the rest of the time.

It's really rude though that your co-worker took your turning down her cookies so personally. I can see joking about Christmas not being Christmas without the cookies, but then LET IT GO, jeez. Especially as she sees you're struggling with weight. Way to spread the holiday cheer.

Jealous of the free-range rotisserie chicken at such a rock bottom price. I'd be all over that.

To be honest, TOV, I was surprised too. I never ate junk food like chips and I gave up soda entirely a while ago. I rarely consumed carbs like bread outside of once in a while. The only bread in the apt was what N ate, not me. While I did not crave things like breads, my downfall was, and we've talked about this before, FRUIT. I love fruit. I really had trouble with it. I love fresh fruit of all sorts. And that's where the bulk of my carbs and sugar cane from. It's not good. I mean, I guess it's better that it didn't from something like cake but it's still bad, you know.

After surgery, my carb intake has been about 5g a day through the protein drink I am allowed, and that's it. And yes it really changes things. I am no longer allowed any fruit and probably will not be able to eat anything for weeks due to issues with seeds and skins.

I don't think I was ever able to get my carb count that low alone. 5 a day is crazy. But it clearly has changed me.

Even though I was never a big consumer of bread and other carbs, I am swearing them off even as occasional treats. Fruit, I don't know if I will have again outside of a bite here and there. I am told I should but it's a trigger food. I am done with carbs and sugar.

As for overeating, while I didn't eat ginormous amounts, I find myself being appalled at myself. My sense of portion has dramatically changed. When I ate pizza, I used to have 2 slices and would feel okay. My stomach turns at the thought of that now. I think that is overeating now, at least for me. I am already very locked into the idea of eating 2-3oz for a meal, nothing more, and I am doing fine now on what I have. Anything I ate beyond that was in excess because I am okay now. I don't really blame myself but now the idea of eating 1200-1500 calories like I did before makes me feel sick. It's just so much now that I can exist on so little.

Maybe it is okay for most healthy people to overeat on special occasions. Heck, most do. I am very worried about stretching out my inside though. It's something I feel I can't entertain. And to be honest, I don't want to. When I feel full, I actually feel some pain. That's how this surgery works. You can't eat past that. If you do, you vomit. I haven't gotten sick from overeating but that's what happens. The pain I feel from being full makes me turn away.

That lady was just being dumb. What a silly thing to get upset about.

I definitely love cheap rotisserie chicken. You can do so many things with it and it makes my life easier. Soups, fajitas, chicken salad, whatever. My mom used to buy them a lot when I grew up so I just kept up the habit later.

Fudgie, I am glad your surgery went well.

My brother went out with a woman who had newly had lapband surgery. I remember being fascinated with what she was telling me about it. How she literally could eat a few tablespoons of something and feel full. How uncomfortable, even painful, it could be if she overate (and overate for the newly sized stomach, not what most people would term overeating at all!).

I'm not in any position to be giving advice about it...

I did want to express my support of your efforts and give you a big virtual hug ! I know you will figure this out because, you clearly are focused on the right things. And mentality - that is what determines whether someone will reach and maintain some healthy eating patterns or not. If your head is on straight, you will do it. May take a lot of experimenting and there is no doubt in my mind, some people have bigger mountains to climb in the process than others, but with the right mentality....anyone can get there.

"it's not Christmas without Christmas cookies!" - pffffttt. Someone is a little over invested in the baked goods. lol.

Merry Christmas.

The US having such a high obesity count doesn't really have anything to do with eating large, homecooked meals. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. It has a lot more to do with:

1) High Fructose Corn Syrup

2) Fast food

3) Genetics

4) Diabetes

5) Lack of exercise

And as I said, large fatty meals do have their place. Now when I say that, I'm not talking about a pizza wrapped in bacon with gravy smothered all over it. Just a nice, hefty homecooked meal. They're beneficial to more than just underweight people and the homeless. I think that's kind of silly to say. They're beneficial to someone who's been out working an extremely laborous job. They're beneficial to someone who's battling sickness. They're beneficial to people with really high metabolisms. Fat has its place. You NEED fat, as a matter of fact. Just not too much of it, and that goes with pretty much anything.

Anyhoo, I hope you're recovering well and I hope your cowoker choked on her damn cookies.

...Just kidding

I love fruit. I really had trouble with it. I love fresh fruit of all sorts. And that's where the bulk of my carbs and sugar cane from. It's not good. I mean, I guess it's better that it didn't from something like cake but it's still bad, you know.

People who have sugar-handling problems (and often the culprit of that is other bad things you still have in your diet) have to be careful of too much fruit, but fruit is not "bad". On the contrary, fresh fruit is one of the healthiest types of food on the planet, especially if it's not sprayed with chemicals. Fruit is dense with antioxidants like no other food; vitamins in very high quantities, minerals. The skins of many are packed with very strong cancer-fighting substances, like blueberries, which, if you eat a 1/2 cup each day slashes your risk of some cancers by over 50%. Some have other beneficial properties (like dark cherries lower uric acids levels) and have tannins, which moderate blood pressure and support bladder health/fight germs. There are people like my mom who are extremely healthy, and I'd say her diet is about 50% fresh fruit. There are higher glycemic fruits, like bananas, and lower ones, like berries, so you can be mindful of how to pick them. But all dietitians agree that eating COLORFUL foods of a wide array is the healthiest way to eat, and the deep pigments in fruits are up there.

Not to mention the fiber. I know your fiber will be greatly limited with this reduced stomach size, but that's one reason I'm skeptical about some of the down-the-line effects of this kind of surgery. Without fiber, you can't really have a healthy gut. One of my friends is vegetarian, so you'd think that's healthy, but mostly what she eats is low-fiber, low-nutrient stuff, like cheese. So I'm not surprised she has diverticulitis, which is no laughing matter.

I'm not trying to sound the bell of doom and gloom, but I do seriously wonder how you're going to get all the nutrition and raw materials you need for a healthy body and healthy digestive tract for a lifetime.

As for overeating, while I didn't eat ginormous amounts, I find myself being appalled at myself. My sense of portion has dramatically changed. When I ate pizza, I used to have 2 slices and would feel okay.

See, I think of 2 slices of pizza as perfectly normal as a portion, for most people. NOT overeating. In a sitting, I usually eat more than that, maybe like 3 and a half pieces (depending on the size of the pieces and how little I ate that day/hungry I was). And I'm on the slim side, and don't have a particularly high metabolism (I'm not even exercising right now, which is not good. ) I certainly don't know of anyone who eats one slice of pizza and calls that a full dinner, and I'm talking about people of normal weight. I don't think 2 slices of pizza is overeating, especially for a man.

I'm definitely not saying you should try to eat more than is medically advised, given you've had this procedure. I'm just pointing out what I feel is normal for people (since that's part of the theme of your thread), and what is sustainable for good health, given they are mindful of eating properly in their daily life. My point is that moderation which is given to occasional excess, is not a lifestyle that leads to trouble for most people. And that high quality food most of the time can allow for an indulgence here or there, and that's not psychologically or physically unhealthy.

Fat has its place. You NEED fat, as a matter of fact.

As a matter of fact, as a sidenote, as counter-intuitive as this seems, consuming HEALTHY fats, such as nuts and seeds, high-fat fish (farmed without junk in it), avocados, and coconuts/coconut oil, can actually assist in weight loss. Fat gives you the sensation of being satiated and full, and so you consume less. Also, it doesn't hit your bloodstream fast like carbs, so it burns more slowly and evenly. It doesn't spike your blood sugar, which is the biggest culprit for insulin resistance and eventual diabetes. Healthy fats keep the cell membranes in your body supple, and able to effectively utilize other nutrients. Virgin coconut oil actually possesses a type of fat -- medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) -- that helps you burn calories, so consuming coconut oil has weight-loss properties. I'd put in a link, but one could google it, and not get too off-topic.

Again, though, you'd have to be conscious of the sources of these oils -- that they're not overly processed. Oils should be 'virgin' if not from directly from food. A lot of commercial products -- including those meal replacement drinks, unfortunately -- contain a lot of adulterated fats extracted from safflower, sunflower, soy, corn, etc. that are heated at high temperatures, rendering them free-radical like, so, not healthy anymore.

I don't know what brand of meal replacement drink you're consuming, Fudgie, or if it's some special prescription medical grade product of higher quality (doubtful to me), but here's a bit about what's typically on the market:

link removed

Of course, you have to abide by your doctor's recommendations post-surgery, but still, information is important. And there are probably ways of making comparable protein drinks at home yourself that are much healthier, with a blender and the right ingredients. As long as you got a doctor's okay.

You guys are right, fats definitely are necessary, but they have to be healthy. I do 99% of my cooking in virgin olive oil and so does my boyfriend. He was actually the one who really turned me onto olive oil because he loves it. I think it tastes really good. Eating nuts in moderation is encouraged but not at this stage (I am still healing) but they make a great snack. I like plain English walnuts. I also like avocado. I plan to wrap lean sliced meat around a slice of avocado as a healthy snack. I used to put avocado on hamburgers when I ate them instead of cheese. I like that "buttery" texture. Maybe I'll make a healthy "hamburger" out of some ground up turkey with avocado and a veg.

I do agree that the reason why many are overweight is because of corn syrup, high carbs, and fast food but I have personally seen other people become quite overweight when they have a family who cooks a lot of homecooked meals that aren't really that healthy. Let's face it, most aren't. And for me, personally, I don't want any of that anymore. It's not good for me.

TOV, I go to support groups and you're right, some rely A LOT on cheese and other low fiber foods to live on and don't eat veggies. I don't think that's healthy at all. Once I can eat again (not for almost 2 weeks) I am going to strive to include fibrous vegetables in my meal. If I can't have it as a meal because I got too full, I'll wait until I'm not so full and have some as a snack. If I need to take a fiber supplement, I will but I am encouraged to get fiber through vegetables so I will do that. We will have to see what will happen. Drinking tons of water is also very important. I am working hard to get my fluids in. It's hard when you have a tiny stomach. 3 oz and then wait, then another 2-3 oz, then wait....it's a little annoying.

As for fruit, we'll see. Maybe I'll allow some later on but not right when I start eating. Big trigger food for me. I could definitely eat 1/2 cup a day as a snack, perhaps. Maybe alternate fruits so it's a different fruit each day?

No more excess or indulgence for me but I am really happy about that! I feel very liberated. I can still have and make foods I like, I just can only teeny tiny amounts.

I am on Atkins protein drinks, doctor's orders really. I am not drinking much of it. 10 oz a day is all I'm allowed. I've never had Ensure. Atkins gets a lot of protein from whey. 9g of fat is per carton and it's from some dairy fat (it has some cream in it) and some sunflower oil. Very little sugar though (1g). If I were drinking more I would make my own. I'm not taking much in at all.

One thing I am very happy about is that my blood sugars look fantastic. I am not diabetic but I was on Metformin. I walked out of the hospital without Metformin. My fasting blood sugar was in the 90s per surgery while on the drug. Immediately after surgery, it spiked to 100-130 for the first two days because my body was in stress. I was also NOT on any pain killers because I hate that stuff so you can imagine how much I was in but I pushed through. I felt so much better on the 3rd day after a decent sleep and my sugar was in the 80s and has remained in the 80s. I was getting some sugar in my IV too, it was in the fluids. So I no longer need that medication. Very happy.

But I can't tell you how awesome it is. I have struggled with insulin hunger and physical hunger for so long. While I feel "hungry" when it's time for me to have a little protein shake, it's quickly sated and I feel fine for hours. I can't tell you how wonderful that is. I drank my protein and sat with my family during Christmas dinner. My mom made a dish that I have always liked, tenderloin. Couldn't eat it but I didn't care. It was just nice to be there and be with people.

Maybe alternate fruits so it's a different fruit each day?

That, or make a fruit salad to last a couple of days so you can taste a variety of things.

It seems to me that you're a bit afraid of enjoying food, after what you've been through. That you don't want to enjoy it ever again, so that you'll not go back to the way it was before. I hope over time you come to a place where you permit yourself to enjoy food, realizing that doesn't have to mean losing control or feeling out of control with your body.

I'm glad you have plans to incorporate fibrous foods and veggies, and recognize the importance of that. Of course you can get fiber from beans, peas, and legumes as well. Like I said, I've just seen the whole low-fiber diet thing end up badly.

I just don't know how with such tiny portions, unless you were grazing continuously throughout the day, how will you get ENOUGH of the nutrients you need (as in, even meeting the US RDA of the nutrients, which is a pretty conservative standard of what's optimal)?

And the Atkins product looks better than some (though still not "healthy" and sucralose sucks), but for the amount you're consuming...that's about 160 calories per day. You're on 160 calories a day right now??

I wouldn't call it disturbing. Humans have not always been so blessed when it comes to food (and many people are still starving). So I don't think enjoying food is unhealthy/bizarre.

I moved to Florida, and what's been hardest for me is the lack of food that I'm used to eating.

I do think that we need to be more aware of what we are eating though. Enjoying real food is one thing, and consuming tons of junk is another.

I am just following my surgeon's orders. He said 3 oz 3x a day of the protein drink, and clear liquids the rest of the time (in between). I drink a lot of water. Occasionally, I have broth, which is on the "clear" list. I am allowed sugar free jello but I am not a fan.

I am not purposely restricting myself or anything. This is what he requires and I am doing it.

I am taking a lot of vitamins too, every single day.

I'm thinking with the next stage of the diet, I think he wants 800 calories a day, mostly from lean protein sources and good veg, all ground up. I will struggle to get 800 calories in, most do. Once I reach "maintenence", I think the calorie target to shoot for 1200.

I think it's unhealthy for people who haven't had this surgery but my stomach is so tiny now. This is just what my life will be from now on. I saw my stomach imaged recently. You wouldn't believe how small it is. My hormones and how I think about food has definitely been altered by the surgery. I don't get much enjoyment out of it anymore. It feels sort of weird. I know at one point I used to, but the further I get out, the less I remember the feeling. It just feels so distant, like it never happened at all.

The reason it's not healthy for ANYONE is because your body needs more than 160 calories to run per day, let alone carry out all the tasks you do with work and physical exertion, and so what you're doing is like driving a car with no gas. That's why crash diets, under 1000 cals a day, are considered dangerous. It has nothing to do with stomach size, it's about what a body requires for basic function -- you are not even at basal metabolic rate with that.

So even though you're under doctor's supervision, I simply don't understand how anyone in the medical profession would feel this to be safe. I understand it's the only thing your tiny stomach allows, but that intake of cals is not safe for a human body (especially if you haven't grown up starving, so grown somewhat acclimated), so I don't know how you're functioning and how they assume such risk.

I'd be interested in greywolf's thoughts -- aren't even IV's supposed to deliver more than that, as just BASELINE?

Well, what I notice is that you just seem happy. I know that you are very informed about what you are doing, so I think that you will be fine. It seems as though you were at dangerous risks for some undesirable medical conditions if things had continued as they were...so that calls for feeling happy! chi

I don't know how I am functioning either! It's rather odd to think about. I walk everyday and do little things around the house. Right now I am off of work to recover and I am not allowed to drive a car until the surgeon clears me. So I haven't done that. My concentration is pretty good though. I have been reading and writing and even playing some video games with N. My energy is a lot better than it used to be when I was first out.

But I am definitely feeling happy and good. I honestly thought I would be depressed or regretful for a bit afterward. Many people "miss" food. I thought I would. I don't. I spent a lot of deep moments before and after surgery with myself, meditating on things. I feel very free.

In other good news, my incisions are healing up nicely. I have a total of 7. My hernia was also repaired and I have never had heart burn or aspiration since. I no longer worry about going to sleep.

IV fluids are usually just a saline solution. Though once in awhile we use dextrose solutions too. A dextrose solution would give more calories than that, unless it was infusing at a very very slow rate. We do have cases where we can't let patients eat or drink anything for a couple of days. We usually worry more about dehydration. But for a longer period like Fudgie, I do wonder about that, but then, I'm no doctor.

Archived