Should I have heard by now?

LazyDaisy

So I had a 2nd interview Friday - the hiring manager said that they were going to get together after the interview and make a decision. Should I have heard by now if I am getting an offer? Do you think I will hear either way? I know sometimes when you only have one interview and they don't pick you - you don't hear anything. But I feel making it to a second round warrants some kind of response. I'm also hoping since tomorrow is Christmas eve that they will make the decision today and not make me and the other candidate sweat it out over the holidays.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your 2nd interview was Friday? Oh DEFINITELY NOT. You will very likely get a response well after the New Year. People are taking off vacation, tired, dealing with holiday stress... they likely wont look at this until after the New Year and don't expect a response on Jan 2nd either. Just give it some time... and be patient. You'll hear sooner or later.

Your 2nd interview was Friday? Oh DEFINITELY NOT. You will very likely get a response well after the New Year. People are taking off vacation, tired, dealing with holiday stress... they likely wont look at this until after the New Year and don't expect a response on Jan 2nd either. Just give it some time... and be patient. You'll hear sooner or later.

Wow, I was really expecting to hear something today. I would think they would want to wrap it up before the holidays.

I really wanted to know, because I want to know how much I can spend on christmas gifts for my son. He is 8 and really looking forward to Christmas, but if I am going to be jobless soon I have to conserve money. I won't be able to get him much.

Doesn't work like that. From my experiences... people tend to become more of procrastinators, putting things off and generally more busy as Q4 ends. This doesn't leave much time for making sound decisions about who to hire. I know it's frustrating for you though. There's nothing wrong with getting your son something small for the holiday and treating him out to something nice after the holiday once you hear back from your job. Hopefully you do hear from them today but it would be good to reassess your expectations so you aren't counting on it.

People don't really have time for thank you notes. I know when I'm hiring, I don't really like unsolicited contact from candidates. Don't bother sending another round of them. It is year-end and that is probably all people are focusing on. I hope you end up getting this job, but if you don't, I suggest taking more of a business approach to your job search in the future.

I would not send a thank you or a happy holiday. These are busy people and probably out of town or getting ready to leave town. In my opinion you have a sense of entitlement in this situation that's somewhat unusual. I'd expect to hear at some point after the new year. As far as christmas gifts I'd err on the side of saving money and I'm sure if you get the job and want to splurge a bit you can get him something else at that time.

Every job offer I have had has come 2-3 weeks after the final interview. As Cheetarah is saying, I always follow up with an email. Usually and in a few days I have even emailed the hiring manager to ask if I am still being considered. Generally they tell you straight "Yep, we're going to make you an offer, hold tight"

Every job offer I have had has come 2-3 weeks after the final interview. As Cheetarah is saying, I always follow up with an email. Usually and in a few days I have even emailed the hiring manager to ask if I am still being considered. Generally they tell you straight "Yep, we're going to make you an offer, hold tight"

Well, I had asked them if they were going to make a decision before the holidays and they said yes - so that is why i am thinking i would have heard by now. I'm hoping they will contact me either way.

Well, I had asked them if they were going to make a decision before the holidays and they said yes - so that is why i am thinking i would have heard by now. I'm hoping they will contact me either way.

There is usually a process once they make a decision depending on the size of the company. The offer has to be vetted through HR. They may run a background check, etc. I'm sorry you're not hearing anyone say "Yes they will call you", they may, just more than likely they wont due to timing of the holidays.

There is usually a process once they make a decision depending on the size of the company. The offer has to be vetted through HR. They may run a background check, etc. I'm sorry you're not hearing anyone say "Yes they will call you", they may, just more than likely they wont due to timing of the holidays.

Thanks. I won't write it off yet. I will try to put it out of my mind over the holidays.

Even if they said that, I find companies are always slower at getting back to you than they say they will be.

So I had a 2nd interview Friday - the hiring manager said that they were going to get together after the interview and make a decision. Should I have heard by now if I am getting an offer? Do you think I will hear either way? I know sometimes when you only have one interview and they don't pick you - you don't hear anything. But I feel making it to a second round warrants some kind of response. I'm also hoping since tomorrow is Christmas eve that they will make the decision today and not make me and the other candidate sweat it out over the holidays.

I wouldn't expect anything decision until after the new year. Still send the thank you letter and follow up with another email the thursday after Jan 1st

Should I send another thank you? I interviewed with the same people. I already sent a thank you to the only different person I interviewed with during the 2nd round. I didn't think I had to send another one to the same people.

Yes, last year I sent after thank you note after my second interview and got the job. Of course it was completely different from the 1st thank you letter

I would have held off on that question because it made you look a little desperate. I would have just asked when they planned on making a decision and let them answer. Hopefully the question didn't hurt you

It has now been a week since the 2nd interview. I'm really starting to panic now. Do you think I would hear either way? In the past when I haven't gotten jobs they just didn't even bother to tell me. I think this should be different since it was down to just two of us. Do you think they will tell us both at the same time?

I don't think you can expect to hear before the first week of January --- there are too many people on vacation and with 2 applicants, they have background

checks to do.

Stressing over it just increases stress! At this point, you can only wait and try to focus on something else.

It has now been a week since the 2nd interview. I'm really starting to panic now. Do you think I would hear either way? In the past when I haven't gotten jobs they just didn't even bother to tell me. I think this should be different since it was down to just two of us. Do you think they will tell us both at the same time?

It's really a "who knows" situation so I agree with Mhowe.

Archived