Open Club  ·  23 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Nashville, Savannah, or Las Vegas?

hers

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip for April. We were originially going to take a cruise somewhere, but we've opted to do a cruise at Christmas time instead.

We have it narrowed down to Nashville, Savannah, or Las Vegas. Our budget is $1500 give or take, including airfare and hotel, and we can spring for more spending money. Personally, I've never really wanted to go to Vegas, which he has been to once before and liked it a lot. I've been to Nashville just once for 2 days and liked it a lot and would love to see more and he'd like to as well. He's been to Savannah but only as a kid. If we go to Nashville or Savannah, we'd be driving, but Vegas would be flight, of course, since we are in Florida. For Vegas, I've found some hotel/flight combos for about $1100 +/- total for th two of us, so not considering spending money, it'd be under our budget. Nashville and Savannah would be cheaper.

My question is if we could get about 5-6 days worth of fun stuff to do in each city and more bang for our buck. What do you recommend? If you've been to all 3 places, what are your thoughts? Is there enough fun stuff to do in each town? What's better for that?

We like a lot of history and scenic stuff, restaurants, cool tours. I'm not a drinker but he loves craft beers. Not into night clubs but do like music.

Thoughts?

Ok, granted I've never been to any of those places, but honestly from what you've written I can't see Las Vegas fitting the bill. 400 dollars spending money there for 5-6 days is nothing, you will go wayyyyy over budget unless you're camping out in the hotel room. And not drinking, not liking club, wanting scenic tours and history ... I just think no on LV!

I've heard lovely things about both Savannah and Nashville though.

Honestly you do not want to spend more than 3-4 days in Vegas. I went once for 5 days and it was just too much. It's a kind of sensory overload that just never stops when you are on the "Strip". The only way I would do 5 days is if you had the money for day trips out to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam. But those can be pricey. Also if you like history and tours Vegas is not really the place for that (at least on the strip which is where most visitors stay). My brother lives there so I have seen some of the non-strip Vegas stuff and really it's not that interesting form a historical standpoint...I men think about it the West isn't all that old. And yes there is a lot of drinking in Vegas but as far as craft beers....not so much.

I've never been to Nashville or Savannah for a real vacay but they both seem like great places to explore. If I could drive there easily I would do it for sure. And just think what you save in driving you can put into a really nice hotel...I love finding a historic hotel to stay in.

We like a lot of history and scenic stuff, restaurants, cool tours. I'm not a drinker but he loves craft beers. Not into night clubs but do like music.

You won't get a lot of this in Las Vegas. If you aren't into gambling and rock climbing and shopping there isn't all that much else to do. Forget history. I haven't ever been to Savannah, loved Nashville for the brief time I was there. It' the home of country music and has some really interesting history to it, so yeah I'd head there.

nashville was super awesome when i went. it was just so cool. i stayed right by printer's alley and loved it. i was there for a work function and only got to get out and explore maybe 3 or so hours. but i loved broadway down by printer's alley. definitely would love to go backa nd see the country music hall of fame and places like that. my husband would love it.

Your budget is too small, IMO, to include airfare, hotel, and spending money. I would go to Savannah or Nashville because you can drive and save a lot. Without much spending money, you'll be bored in Vegas.

As a reference, my boyfriend and I routinely drive up to Canada and we can spend way, way more than $400 on just on weekend there just dining out, buying fine wine, and paying for different things.

Spending money is an important part that many people overlook. But it can really make or break your vacation.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived