Opinions on Match.com?

nathoonder

My father met his wife on LavaLife nearly 11 years ago, they are still very happy I like her a lot. I can only guess how many women he "dated" before he met her though, he introduced me to about 5 of them I think? I'm only assuming he dated 3X that many because he would only introduce me to the ones that he had been dating for more then 2 months. I can't think of a better match for him, I don't know if he would of found her any other way.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and have a clear idea of what you are looking for

I dunno. I was thinking about signing up for EHarmony. That might be a bit better because they use all the "layers of compatibility" and all that mubo jumbo. Match, at least when I used it, was really just like a pay OKCupid. I guess people are a bit more serious on there because it costs money... but it's certainly not any better of a website.

Yeah but my beef with eharmony is that's like 70 bucks a month

This is just one of several mechanisms they use to weed out undesirables, similar to an event with a high cover charge or ticket price. If finding your life mate isn't worth $70 a month to you, eHarmony is probably not going to work for you.

This is just one of several mechanisms they use to weed out undesirables, similar to an event with a high cover charge or ticket price. If finding your life mate isn't worth $70 a month to you, eHarmony is probably not going to work for you.

I live in a large metropolitan area and eharmony sent me almost no matches, maybe just several and they were several hours away. I didn't like it at all.

EHarmony was a complete waste for me. The people I was matched with live *states* away and are otherwise out of my interest range. Absolutely ridiculous pricing and haven't exchanged a single email.

Match has been good to me although not so much this time around. They are reasonably priced, have the most people and are several steps up from the hookup sites. I highly recommend match and would be happy to check out your profile if you need any feedback. (Free woman's perspective!!)

I met my current boyfriend (2 years) on eharmony but I also tried Match. I did not like the latter. Men who contacted me were just not right for me. I had more in common with the ones on eharmony. I went on a few dates with a few men until I found my boyfriend and we are both very happy together.

EHarmony was a complete waste for me. The people I was matched with live *states* away and are otherwise out of my interest range. Absolutely ridiculous pricing and haven't exchanged a single email.

Match has been good to me although not so much this time around. They are reasonably priced, have the most people and are several steps up from the hookup sites. I highly recommend match and would be happy to check out your profile if you need any feedback. (Free woman's perspective!!)

Thank ya, if I join I'll definitely take ya up on that offer

If marriage isn't your goal eHarmony isn't for you anyway. If you just want a serious relationship match is a better bet. People there seem more serious but not all about marriage.

A bit of advice with most dating sites if you set up your profile but don't join in about a week they will send you a discount code to use.

Wow, eharmony is 70 bucks a month? I just bought a subscription for three months for 20 bucks! I thought they must have lowered their prices but maybe I just got in with some kind of promotion. I had signed up a long time ago, but didn't like how you couldn't see what your matches looked like unless you paid, so I never bought. But recently after meeting several people in real life, through friends and whatnot like a normal person, who were all various shades of messed up, in a moment of weakness I signed up because it was so cheap. The fact that nobody can see you unless they are a paid member AND matched with you was actually a bit of a selling point - I have checked out okcupid and match and they seemed a bit too public and out in the open for me, and I thought being seen on those would hurt my "game" out in the real world.

Anyway, though it was much cheaper than 70 bucks, so far all the other complaints people mentioned here about eharmony have proven true: few matches even though I live in a large city, or matches who live clear on the other side of the country, or who haven't logged in for months yet their profiles are still sent to you. Or, they send me matches that I seemingly have nothing in common with. Even if our personalities might go well together according to their algorithims, we still have to have something in common besides just that. Or I don't find them attractive. (Or maybe my personality type only meshes well with unnattractive women?)

I was also disappointed in the profiles I've seen. I thought since eharmony users were supposed to be more "serious" they would bother writing in complete sentences or actually saying something about themselves, but it is still the usual "I love to laugh and don't take myself too seriously and I like to eat food" that you see on every generic online dating profile.

This is only a marketing gimmick, a play on common myth. It has no base in reality...

I found I got just as much attention on Match that I did on OKC.

OKC even did this study; they deleted it after they sold out to Match [very smart college students started OKC to study statistical analysis for the purpose of studying social trends], it's a pretty good read.

link removed

Polish your profile and get really good at crafting messages, its all you can do.

Thinking about signing up after years of no success on POF and OkCupid. But at the tune of forty bucks a month, I'm weary. I'm a man looking for a woman but everyone is welcome to share their experiences.

With few exceptions I see the same women on Match as I do on POF. Get a free account, hide your profile and have a look.

Archived