Dirty cat peeing on things hes shouldnt. Grr!

Katiebaby

Hey guys!

So I have a male, desexed cat who has been checked over from head to toe and is the picture of health. Only problem is he likes to p!ss on things from time to time. He is a grot. He has a littler tray which is always cleaned - morning and night, clean water, toys, you name it. These cats want for nothing.

So there are 2 cats, they have been together since they were kittens, both desexed and healthy, get along great etc no problems there. The female had NEVER ever pee'd anywhere she wasn't supposed to but the male every few months does it. It is p!ssing us off (no pun intended lol).

He has just climbed into a box I brought home from the post office and pee'd on a very expensive saddle blanket I ordered from England from my horse so I have locked him in the laundry with his litter tray because If I see him, I may get very cross lol. Last thing he pee'd on was my fiance's very expensive hat which was on the ground for a grand total of 30 seconds - Gizmo saw his chance, pounced and p!ssed. What do I do? I feel sorry for my female cat as she can't have a bed - he'll pee on it, can't have any cat hidey-holes or he'll pee in them. Have tried pheromone sprays, have tried catching him in the act but he's very sneaky. Had them both for coming up to 6 years and we've been in this house about 6 months.

We are about to get the floors re-done and I would love carpet in the living room but not if he's going to relieve himself on it! But I don't think it's fair to keep him locked up. He only does it every few months and this is the first time he's done it in this house. Help!

He's territorial... he's marking his territory, even though he's fixed. OUr family had a fixed male cat who would still turn up his tail--that's what made us swear off of male cats.

In the future, do not leave things on the ground where the cat can pee on it. He may have had his plumbing redone, but they didn't take the male out of him and he's going to still act possessive and territorially like a male cat would.

I agree it is about being territorial. Which means he needs a space that is all his own. But I don't mean locked in a room or something. Do you have a cat tree or spaces where he can go upon and claim that as his? I have four male cats all neutered. With these four I don't have any territorial problems. I did have a Siamese neutered male though that was very territorial. And he would pee on anything left out on the floor. If you didn't leave anything on the floor he had no problems. It might just be putting things away very quickly so he has no time to notice them. Cats are very structured and very regimented and go around their home in a very definable pattern. It could be too that the new items are disrupting his pattern. They are in "his" space so to speak. Cats have to own a bit of space it is very vital for their self-esteem.

Is it territory then ?

I saw this thread and was a little perplexed ...just simply because he had been done , they have lived there a few months , he knows the other cat ...

I only know really about the toms that havent been done , my two are done and I have never had this problem ...

but yeah , my two have their own places ...my boy george quite often sits outside emilys door to go in her room ..because he knows he will be left alone in there .

I agree its territorial and is making his mark because he feels insecure about his place in your house. He needs a place(s) HIGH up like a shelf where only he can go as this will make him feel less insecure and like he is looking down on his 'minions'. Sounds odd but it does work.

He has had cat trees, he pees on them. Has had cat hidey-holes - pees on them. Has had his own special bed - yep, peed on that the first night. Kinda feel bad for my other cat who's a good girl as she can;t have any of that cool stuff because the male will pee on or in it. The box that contained the post stuff was up high, on another box that had been there for a month but he still felt the need to climb up on it, get into it and pee there.

He's not lifting his tail and spraying, he's literally squatting down and peeing a puddle. He will go months without doing it, and then out of no-where he will do it.

He was desexed as a 5 month old as recommended by our vet, and never sprayed as a kitten. He is now 5 years old. Has always used the littler box like a pro (which again - is cleaned every day, and without chemicals as recommended by our vet) and nothing in the house has changed in 6 months and he has been checked over... Litter box is always accessible, has always been in the same place, and he knows where it is.

Any cat experts out there got any ideas? The box that he peed in wasn't even in his area of the house - he usually hangs out under the dining table on his fav seat (which is still there and hasn't been moved or cleaned or anything lol)

Vet seems to think some cats are dirty 'p!ssers' and will p!ss wherever they like and there's no stopping them. I wonder if this is the case? He can go months without it happening, I'm so dissappointed that it was on something expensive that wasn't even on the floor, I never leave stuff laying around at home

Do some research on this kind of behavior in cats. You know what kind of sage advice you'll find? It could be medical. It could be hormonal. It could be territorial. It could be mental. It could be because the breeze is blowing the wrong direction on any given day.

Or it could be the simple fact that some cats kind of....suck. At least as indoor pets. Do you have a farm nearby that could use a good mouse hunter? Mind you--I'm dealing with something of a similar situation with my own cat, but I don't have the heart to give her up after 13 years. Now I'm just praying for the day she peacefully passes on.

I'm having a similar problem with one of my cats. He is about 7 months old and has yet to be neutered. He came into a home where there are 4 other cats who didn't take too kindly to him at first.

He pees on things left on the floor. He also pees behind the TV and lately he's taken to peeing in my washing machine. It's driving me mad. To make matters worse one of my other cats has started spraying ... probably trying to reclaim her territory.

I'm hoping that when he is finally neutered (after xmas) it will stop but reading this I'm worried he might not.

I'm having a similar problem with one of my cats. He is about 7 months old and has yet to be neutered. He came into a home where there are 4 other cats who didn't take too kindly to him at first.

He pees on things left on the floor. He also pees behind the TV and lately he's taken to peeing in my washing machine. It's driving me mad. To make matters worse one of my other cats has started spraying ... probably trying to reclaim her territory.

I'm hoping that when he is finally neutered (after xmas) it will stop but reading this I'm worried he might not.

Ideally they need to be neutered before they start that. By seven months old they are pretty much very close to being an adult cat.

• 1 month later...

Archived