How to tell the difference between friendliness and flirting?

photograph11

Hey ena,

Let's say a girl gives you extended eye contact when she talks to you. Raises her eyebrows when she says hello to you. Sometimes winks at you. You catch her staring at you from a distance. Other days she suddenly acts cold. Pretends not to see you when she passes by you, avoids eye contact and completely ignores you. How do you explain that behaviour?

This has been going on with a girl at the hospital I volunteer for awhile now. We've been volunteering there for the past two years, we were never friends, but we have been volunteering at the same time for about two years, nobody knows that I am lesbian but I think people might know since A girl I know who use to volunteer there had seen my profile on this lesbian dating site so perhaps people know who knows.

I have found out that she has a boyfriend so I don't bother trying to get involved or anything like that, I just go and volunteer and do my thing. I don't go out of my way to speak to her or anything like that. But before I knew she had a boyfriend, she had caught me staring at her a few times, smiling at her often, and giving her long eye contact so I think she might know I like her. I get this "spark" sensation when we locked eyes, it's hard to explain, I don't know if it was mutual.

In all I'm just trying to understand if this is considered flirting behaviour or just being friendly. Girls sometimes give these long eye contact looks I mean how do you know for sure when a girl is just being nice to you or flirting if you're both girls?

If I had a dollar for every straight girl who leads me on...

I'd bet she knows you like her and she's pretty sure you're a lesbian. Sometimes she feels like flirting and other times she can't be bothered (plus, she has a boyfriend).

Ignore her!

Archived