Struggling to lose the weight! Why is this happening!

So, about a two and a half months ago i was in a bike accident where i fell on my shoulder and had to wear a sling for about a month. It was really hard on me because i am a really active person, during this time i wasn't able to run or ride bicycle at all due to my shoulder injury, but i was still able to play handball after about 1 week so i did something to keep active.

A month following this i quit my job due to various problems with my boss and the company and following that thanksgiving came, so i was staying home eating a lot, sort of. This followed by the weather turning ugly in New York making it harder for me to go out and play handball or be active, yet to cope with all of these problems i started going to the gym. I have been going for about a month and a half, and sometimes i play handball at the indoor spot in BK.

Here is my problem, the 5 - 10 pounds that i put on, isn't coming off and i my abs have lost most of their definition. To combat this problem i got a new job riding a bike, and also i have been hitting the gym a lot doing 2 hours of work out and 1 hour of running when i usually only do 1 and half hour of work out and 30 mins of running. My body though, is not reacting, i am not sweating as much as a usually do, and i can't run as fast due to several knee problems and leg injuries from many years of playing handball and riding fix gear bicycles.

Everything else is fine though, my cardio is stronger, my muscles are getting bigger more defined, but the weight isn't coming off and i think my abs are actually getting bigger due to my ab workouts instead of getting definition?

Can someone please help me, is this about age, does metabolism start to slow down once you start getting closer to 30, is it that i am not as active as before. I am literally killing myself and seeing no results, I am becoming very frustrated with this body, I have stopped eating 4 meals a day, i cut down to 2 meals, also i eat smaller portions and more snacks. I feel like i am losing touch with reality and becoming very obsessed over something so small.

yes it does start to slow down ...also as we know muscle weighs more and hitting the gym compared to cycling and running is going to build it up rather than take it off to start with .

keep going dela it will come off .

I feel you pain when it comes to not been able to do as much ...I have gone from been very fit and very active to having a lot of physical problems , I now have polymialgia , which is arthritis in every joint .. so nice and steady wins the race mate ..

yes it does start to slow down ...also as we know muscle weighs more and hitting the gym compared to cycling and running is going to build it up rather than take it off to start with .

keep going dela it will come off .

I feel you pain when it comes to not been able to do as much ...I have gone from been very fit and very active to having a lot of physical problems , I now have polymialgia , which is arthritis in every joint .. so nice and steady wins the race mate ..

Thanks shooting, it helps a lot to hear any sort of advice, sometimes i just feel scared and alone. I really appreciate any advice that is given, it makes me realize that i am not the only one who feels the same way about these things, and it helps relieve stress to see that what i am going through is actually very normal.

If you have a consultant or a trainer at your gym, you can ask him to give you some specially made exercises for your goals.

Also ask for some eating advise. Maybe you need something you are not getting from your diet. It is better to have 6 small meals, the just 2 major ones + a lot of snacks.

Also try smoothies and juicing. It works magic for some!

Other then that - it is normal that at some point you stop seeing results, it means you need to change your routine again.

Somebody at the gym (he's been working out for as long as I've been alive) said you define your abs in the kitchen.

Cutting down body fat is done by cutting down carbs from your diet and especially those with a higher glycemic index.

If you are gaining weight and you can tell it's your muscles growing, you are doing a good job with food intake for bulking. Cut down on portion sizes, carbs and split meals around the day. 5-6-7 small meals

What is your diet looking like?

Now, don't imagine me as fit as a bodybuilder, my goal for now is to bulk up a bit. When I started working out I cut out carbs a lot and lost ~4 inches off my waist. Still a work in progress but I know my diet is not geared now towards cutting fat.

Cut down on portion sizes, carbs and split meals around the day. 5-6-7 small meals

When I started working out I cut out carbs a lot and lost ~4 inches off my waist.

Yeah, as i mentioned before, i already cut down my meals a lot, it wouldn't be healthy for me to cut back more than i have. I think i just need to increase my cardio, it has just been hard due to the weather. I hear what you guys are saying though, about the food maybe its time i started eating a little healthier, either that or i can always increase my cardio.

I realize that, i haven't been as active as i used to when i was like 24 - 25. I think that over the years i just stopped being as passionate about playing ball and biking and now i'm seeing the results of my lack of passion.

Most important thing is cutting down carbs. You can still eat a lot of protein

I do cardio every morning and afternoon (going to and from work by bike, averaging around 12-14mph for a 4 mile trip) and it doesn't do much for me. Apparently heavy lifting (ie to failure on every set) works better because the body uses "fuel" not only when working out but also when fixing muscles fatigued by intense lifting.

My experience with loosing weight is also that no matter how much you work out, how active you are if you are not keeping a diet you will never loose weight. So you should really watch what are you eating! Write it down so you can see where are your weak points. Like what are you drinking, eating too much sweets, biscuits etc, too much fruits.

My weak points are sweets in the afternoon/evening, but I realized that grapefruits and green tea helps, I am not that much into sweets after having those. Drinking a lot of water also helps. When I am hungry first I drink water, sometimes, we are just thirsty, but we are confusing it with hunger.

Keeping a 20 minutes break while having dinner for example, you will realize that after 20 min you are not that hungry anymore so you might cut back calories there also.

I am brushing my teeth righ after dinner s just to prevent myself from eating some snacks so really, there are lots of things/ tricks you might find helpful, just try to relax and invent something that might help you!

I just wanted to give a health tip ..you reminded me ami when you said about drinking water ...

one lemon squeezed in a glass of water a day has all this going on ...

1. Relives digestion issues

2. High in vitamin C

3. Breaks down fatty deposits

4. Boosts the Immune system

5. Clears the skin

6. Stimulates the body

7. Bowels are aided in eliminating waste efficiently

8. Relieves bloating

9. Relieves indigestion

10. Acts as a liver tonic and helps liver to produce bile

11. Dissolver gallstones

12. Relieves heartburn

13. A natural antiseptic medicine

14. Kills parasites

one lemon .....

What shooting star is saying is very true! Did it for the longest time - really does work. And it is even better to add some honey to it, and an occasional ginger.

Make sure your water is warm not boiling hot, when you add lemon or honey to it or it will be pointless.

What shooting star is saying is very true! Did it for the longest time - really does work. And it is even better to add some honey to it, and an occasional ginger.

Make sure your water is warm not boiling hot, when you add lemon or honey to it or it will be pointless.

I love ginger , lemon and ginger sound lush . I do it daily , I have a couple of lemons as well ...I just have a glass lying about the house and have a drink when I pass ..it really freshens your mouth and quenches your thirst too , which is ideal in summer because I personally struggle with cold drinks in winter .

Most important thing is cutting down carbs. You can still eat a lot of protein

I do cardio every morning and afternoon (going to and from work by bike, averaging around 12-14mph for a 4 mile trip)

well, 4 miles isn't much its less than an hour on a bike if you are going 8 miles considering that you are going 12- 14 mph, probably takes you like 20 mins each way, that is probably why it hasn't been helping that much.

1- if you work out a body-part that has a layer of fat over it - you gain size... its looks nice on arms and chests (hence why when people stop bulking and cut fat - they lose size)... now... keep this in mind when you ask if working out your abs is making your belly look bigger. Remember, abs are muscles too.

2- yes, metabolism plays a part, men tend to store more fat in their stomachs

3- Working out for 2 hours, then running, can lead to overtraining. Studies claim that after an hr (give or take 15 minutes) will put you on a catabolic state, and you are no longer in that testereone window that promotes growth. What does catabolic means... basically, its the opposite of what you want - burn muscle and store fat. Your body will think its being "attacked" and will go in what some call... panic mode as if it was being starved, and your body is very effective when its attacked, and that "plan" is the storage of fat.

Try to put your training and cardio in no more than a hour and half time-window and no less, i actually recommend not less than an hr and 15 minutes.

4- Sleep, sleep, sleep sleep, and sleep. Every time i tell people that, and they fix their sleeping habits, then end up thinking i am a genuis. You lack sleep and train... then reread what i said about "attacking your body".

5- Adapting... its you versus your bodies ability to adapt. We adapt to diet plans and to training. Switch things up, have a cheat day to boost your metabolism, or diet harder if you havent, change the frequency of workouts - etc.

3- Working out for 2 hours, then running, can lead to overtraining. Studies claim that after an hr (give or take 15 minutes) will put you on a catabolic state, and you are no longer in that testereone window that promotes growth. What does catabolic means... basically, its the opposite of what you want - burn muscle and store fat. Your body will think its being "attacked" and will go in what some call... panic mode as if it was being starved, and your body is very effective when its attacked, and that "plan" is the storage of fat.

This is interesting and while i agree to some degree i feel as though it is not entirely true. Bodybuilders usually spend about 4 - 5 hours in the gym, and many of the men who compete for cross fit competitions complete many hours more than some of those body builders. Also, you can condition your body to handle longer workouts, hence people who do manual labor can work for 10 - 12 hours as appose to a desk jockey who may not be conditioned to handle that type of stress.

I usually stay at the gym for that amount of time because i am not tired after only an hour, I think i am not training as intensely or lifting as much weight, i am not sure. I hear what you said about the ab workouts, i am sure you are right about this. I will have to do some research about this catabolic/anabolic stuff though.

Most bodybuilders are on steroids... yes ... even the natural ones, their testosterone window is abnormal, so they can train for over 2 hours. That bit i said about cortisol... will not effect them.. it will effect you and I because we dont add synthetic testosterone to keep that window up. That is the reason for roids in the first place, more training, faster results. And even then, most bodybuilders have lowered the amount of time they train, even jay cutler cut down to maximize testosterone.

And people who do manual labor do not look like they lift, nor are they all in great shape as you think. I work in construction and i see the laborers, you dont want to use them as an example. They dont go hard all day either, their load doesnt go as hard as a true training session - no matter what they tell you. If you want to train for stress, then so be it... but i believe the point of the thread was about losing bodyfat percentage and being lean. A construction worker is carrying a lot of weight. I also lost size and did nothing for fat when i started working in the field, i was 197 lean, after the field- the load of work+ working out dropped me to 170ish with loss in muscles mass... not fat.

Look at sprinters vs marathon runners. Sprinters train for less but with more power, which activates their fast-twitch muscle fibers and works their testosterone, hence why they have amazing bodies and low bodyfat percentage. Look at marathon runners, they are sickly, and youd be surprised at the amount of flab and lack of definition they carry with their long training sessions that work on coristol.

I'm super glad Thor mentioned sleep. It's something a lot of times you don't see when discussing losing or maintaining a healthy weight.

I sure notice the difference sleep makes. If someone is having troubles and doing everything else right; looking at their sleep patterns may be something that helps turn it around.

They say (they) that most North Americans are sleep deprived. Even chronically so. And being sleep deprived, really can make you fat. Directly and indirectly.

I'm super glad Thor mentioned sleep. It's something a lot of times you don't see when discussing losing or maintaining a healthy weight.

I sure notice the difference sleep makes. If someone is having troubles and doing everything else right; looking at their sleep patterns may be something that helps turn it around.

They say (they) that most North Americans are sleep deprived. Even chronically so. And being sleep deprived, really can make you fat. Directly and indirectly.

Yes...getting adequate sleep is critically important, as is also keeping your body challenged and guessing. I have also found that having an ocassional cheat day seems to help my metabolism not get too complacent.

Yes...getting adequate sleep is critically important, as is also keeping your body challenged and guessing. I have also found that having an ocassional cheat day seems to help my metabolism not get too complacent.

I agree. Still don't understand 100% why cheat days work, but they do.

Thought of something else for the OP. Since you are dealing with an injury right now, have you considered some time in the pool? Super low impact, though it is a great work out. And since you are usually doing things like handball/biking...it will challenge your muscles.

Pool is the foundation of my staying fit. I had a few extra pounds to drop this winter, and doing more in the pool helped get me there. It's also really relaxing, in its way, soothing.

Sounds to me like you have maybe had some anxiety/ sadness lately to do with the injury, and some emotional eating going on. Maybe incorporating more relaxing type exercises will help with that too?? It helps me. Cause anxiety etc. can really cause havok with your metabolism.

At 27, it's probably more to do with changes in your lifestyle right now than with age related slowage. And it's pretty individual too. It's funny because as we get a little older, we should be putting more emphasis on physical activity. Yet most people go in reverse; get older, so do less. Now is the time to keep up your good habits with physical activity! Maybe try some new sports too...

anything that keeps you excited motivated for the longer haul.

Since I'm female, I don't really have any advice to give a man on working out considering men and women work out differently, unless she's one of those weird body building women and that is one thing that I will NEVER understand.

However I can say that I know how you feel. You don't really realize it but even a month or two of not working, or going to school, or whatever really packs on the pounds. I quit work to finish school and I finished earlier this month. I have been out of work for a little over a month now. I've done my fair share of drinking over the past year and I loathe working out. I've always been one of the "lucky" ones though I guess, who can eat whatever and never pack on a pound.

Well I guess I didn't realize that by going to work AND school I was getting in a little bit of a workout, plus I never had time to eat too, so that helped... I quit work, cut my "workout" in half, done with school, Waiting till the first of the year to start work again (going up north in a week. Don't really wanna get hired on somewhere and ask for a week off first jump out of the shoot) I tried on my work pants that fit 6 weeks ago... They're to tight!

LOL This really isn't advice, just moral support I suppose, but I feel ya. At least you only have about 5-10 lbs to lose. I wanna drop 20!!! I've heard that cutting out soda helps. I'm giving it a shot as well as drinking plenty water, doing my cardio in the mornings, and I'll probably go walk the track later today. But good luck! Lets lose this jiggle!!

I agree. Still don't understand 100% why cheat days work, but they do.

What i vaguely remember is that it breaks a plateau in your body. You keep your body guessing, it cant adapt - again, this includes training and diet. Also, a cheat meal boosts testosterone, so that cheat day isnt just a cheat or just for fighting adaptation, it does boost your testosterone.

Archived