Going to join Match... Quick profile help

Frosted_Cherry

Hello

Recently moved to a new area. (Baltimore) for a new job and left my friends and family 3 hours away.

I have been on POF and OKcupid but all of these girls are on for attention it seems like and have no intention of ever meeting up.

I like being in relationships. I love having someone travel with me and do all of these I don't want to do alone cause it won't be as fun.

So it looks like Match has a way classier pool of girls that want what I am looking for

I recently changed my POF profile to be a huge joke ( I have an awesome sense of humor). I have had more compliments and messages then ever with that profile but girls still don't want to meet up.

So should I keep this profile for a better site like Match or should I tone it down?

I can link it if you guys want.

If the whole profile is a huge joke, then yes, people might laugh, but that doesn't mean they'll want to date you.

Be sincere. There's nothing wrong with humor but it doesn't have to be extreme. That would suggest to me that you're not taking it very seriously, and thus don't take other things that seriously.

I recently changed my POF profile to be a huge joke ( I have an awesome sense of humor). I have had more compliments and messages then ever with that profile but girls still don't want to meet up.

I made that mistake too, at first. I viewed my dating profile as an opportunity to showcase my sense of humor, and treated it like a stand-up comedy act. It's good to have a few jokes in there so it's not boring, but the goal is to describe yourself and what you're looking for, and there's more to you than jokes. Besides, if you start out too funny, it'll be hard to keep that up after you meet someone.

I find that people on paid sites like Match and POF are generally much more serioius about dating than those on POF and OKC. But you never know. I know married couples who met on POF.

Send me a link (either here or PM) to your profile and I will be more than happy to give you some pointers. I consider myself something of an expert with online dating

Thanks for the quick replies! Yes joking too much can be a bad thing, I see what your saying.

I tried something different to get everyone saying how he isn't that boring normal guy, but at the same time I can see the other way too.

Girls have laughed and messaged me more on pof and okcupid cause of it so I thought it might work on Match but I don't know how serious or if it would make a difference on there!

OP, I saw your POF profile.

Yeah...your POF profile is definitely outrageous. Between the photos (silly poses and strong duckface) and what you said...lol yeah, it was definitely insane. I think for Match, if you're looking for something serious, you need to create a more mature and sincere profile. I'm not saying YOU are immature...but if you want to attract a quality woman, you'll need to build a quality profile. It is possible to come accross as genuine and sincere while still showing your sense of humor.

OP, I saw your POF profile.

Yeah...your POF profile is definitely outrageous. Between the photos (silly poses and strong duckface) and what you said...lol yeah, it was definitely insane. I think for Match, if you're looking for something serious, you need to create a more mature and sincere profile. I'm not saying YOU are immature...but if you want to attract a quality woman, you'll need to build a quality profile. It is possible to come accross as genuine and sincere while still showing your sense of humor.

Thanks! Oh I know I'm immature. Not hurting me haha.

But maybe I should have a mix you think?

Have serious stuff about me etc then throw in a random dorky thing like that? Is that what you mean?

Thanks! Oh I know I'm immature. Not hurting me haha.

But maybe I should have a mix you think?

Have serious stuff about me etc then throw in a random dorky thing like that? Is that what you mean?

Yeah I mean, I've spoken with some girls who do online dating...and they basically confirmed what I already knew. If they're looking for a hookup (which most girls don't use online dating for, since they can just walk to their corner bar and walk out with a FWB), they will just look at your pictures. If they're looking for something serious, profile content becomes a lot more important. Jokes are fine, but if your entire profile is a joke, they won't really have a sense of the real you. And, as someone else already said, it will be hard to maintain that jokester persona after a few dates.

Showing your sense of humor is fine, but I would place a few jokes very strategically throughout profile and not make them too common. For instance, in my profile, I talked about how I was on a swim team for 10 years...and mentioned something about me having to rock a speedo. It was one of a couple of jokes that fit the context, and would give them something to tease/email me about.

I liked it cherry , I was sat here chuckling away to myself ...

however ....I agree with MJ ..a mix and a funny "inserted" at the right time would be the way forward , you're a good looking lad , your job is interesting and you have a sense of humour ...it's all good ...

with all the offers of a bit of tweaking here and there and you will be good to go .

thankyou for letting me see it .

I checked out your profile and the pictures are kind of silly which might not draw the attention/girls you say you're looking for on match. Also, your profile is a little lacking in any serious substance which again might lead people to believe you're not really taking anything serious yourself and therefore they needn't bother be anything but flakey/convenient with you.

My 2 cents.

If you're using OkCupid and POF, I think it's okay to write a joke-y profile. I love a guy with a sense of humour and I would usually only message guys who had funny profiles.

But I think if you're on Match, you need to be a little more serious. Not only is it more for relationships than POF and OKC, but it's also a paid site. People might be put off if you're paying for a "joke" profile, you know? Make sure to include your sense of humour, it's a big selling point! But keep it more serious than POF and OKC.

Archived