Met a woman at a happy hour and got her contact info. Invited her to an Xmas party. Turns out she was a little younger than what I perceived when I first met her. I'm 52. My target age range is 30-40. I thought she was 30 give or take a year or two. When I took a good look at her she turned out to be more like 25-26. It was slightly embarrassing for her and for me. Nothing bad or too unpleasant happened at the party. I learned my lesson. Xmas parties and first dates don't mix. I was under pressure and had no date and she was willing to go last minute. Oh well!

She emails me to thank me and I get the impression that I could continue this if she lets me. Who knows? It's worth a try. Here's what bothers me as I go through drafts of what to say. I am tempted to tell her that I am sorry I made a mistake. I thought she was 30 and it turned out she was closer to 25. Only the guilty explain themselves and I felt a little out of place doing what I did. What is the best way to say this or is it seriously un-adviseable to mention this?

Why mention age at all? If you both like each other, then continue to see her!

The age issue can be easily addressed in a joking manner over dinner or a drink.

Besides, she's probably very aware of your age and is fine with it, so there's no reason to rock the boat.

My only caveat is to be aware of the hazards of May/September relationships, so do not get overly attached at first. A younger woman is much more likely to be fickle, especially with an older guy. So it's advisable to take things casually, and expect that she may bail on you unexpectedly and without logical reason. In the meantime, enjoy it!

So... you make the invitation

you both turn up at the party... there is a bit of embarrassment

however, she emails you afterwards....

What's the worst that can happen if you meet up again?

You've potentially had the moment of embarrassment about the age difference.

Do you want people on here to tell you that you shouldn't entertain the idea of meeting up again?

If you'd like to meet her again - go for it. If not - then tell her so.

Sometimes over-thinking things is a problem!

Do you want people on here to tell you that you shouldn't entertain the idea of meeting up again?

Actually the first person to reply answered my question. The question was whether or not to mention that I made a mistake to explain an awkward embarrassing situation. My typing fingers were bothering me and I was itching to write something. I was having second thoughts so I asked for a second opinion on this forum.

Actually the first person to reply answered my question. The question was whether or not to mention that I made a mistake to explain an awkward embarrassing situation. My typing fingers were bothering me and I was itching to write something. I was having second thoughts so I asked for a second opinion on this forum.

No worries at all. I may have been a bit gung-ho in my reply.

The way I "heard" your initial post was that you had a lot of apology and negative thoughts about your invitation and how it might have looked.

Personally... I know I tend to over apologise to folks, so I responded to you almost as if I was making up for how I might have said something and wanted someone to respond to me. Complex stuff sometimes....

Does she know how old you are? If not, you should tell her, and if she's ok with it, then I don't see any problem.

But she has to know, because some people don't want to date someone that much older. I'm 10 years older than her and honestly I wouldn't date someone 17 years older than me!

Archived