I don't think I interview well

LazyDaisy

I am very shy, although this has never been a problem at work, it is a problem when I am interviewing. I think I come accross as very introverted. I had a very important interview Friday and I feel like I blew it. I feel like I didn't ask enough questions or make enough small talk. I think they were very impressed with my resume and my experience but that they didn't connect with me personally. Is my good resume enough? I have 12 years experience in the field and I doubt very much the other people they interviewed had as much experience as I have - only because this is a very specific field. I'm afraid I am never going to get a job and I am going to end up on welfare because I'm so shy. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am introverted too, but all I can suggest is that you prepare totally. Research the place, research good interview questions to ask. Psych yourself up in the mirror before you go in.

When I was first starting to get jobs (about 17 or so) I lost out on one job, and when I asked why, I was told that I didn't seem interested in it, so now I always make sure I am giving off "interested" body language. It's not natural to me, but if that's what it takes...

I think I definitely seemed interested. I'm not sure why I am feeling like it didn't go well. I guess because I am so used to rejection at this point. This was my 10th interview - I have had no offers. The waiting to hear is killing me. If I don't hear by this week it is going to ruin my holidays. And based on my other 9 interviews it seems if you are out of the running you don't hear anything back - even if you ask.

Archived