Lost motivation for anything, constant fatigue.

Piep

Hey EN,

Got trapped in a funk and it seems rather difficult to break out of. I don't have a job, and I'm basically at home all day. The thing is I want to go to school again and get a higher education to be able to do something I like, and in the meantime work to earn some money. I still live at my parent's house so I do have time to achieve these goals.

The thing is since I'm left with pretty much nothing to do and a lot of free time I can feel myself getting depressed more and more every day. I feel so tired all the time even when I had a good night's sleep and it's really keeping me in the gutter. It's a rather annoying cycle and I'm trying to break out of it by at least exercising a few times a week and meeting up with friends but it's not helping much. The job search is terrible as the demand for people is low and qualifications for the jobs that are open are usually too high.

The thing is my motivation is just slowly dwindling and it's basically reached a point where I'm fatigued all day and every task I want to do seems bland and exhausting. I realize not doing anything is making me feel this way but I don't really know how to break out of it. I feel so guilty for basically slacking off in my parents house at 20, anyone know what this is? Am I depressed? I need some tips and advice...

>>The thing is since I'm left with pretty much nothing to do and a lot of free time I can feel myself getting depressed more and more every day.

This is your problem.. .everybody needs goals and things to do. So you need to make a decision and come up with a plan TODAY to get back in school. There are many good online universities these days where you can get your degree fully online if you don't have a local university to attend. And many of the online schools start enrollments for new classes every single month so you don't have to wait to enroll.

And if you are constantly tired, you need evaluation by a doctor. You may be anemic or vitamin deficient or biodchemically depressed and need an anti-depressant to jump start your brain chemistry and get you back on a normal sleeping cycle.

So first task is schedule a doctor's appt. today and get evaluated. Next task is getting online and researching what it will take to get you back in school, and get cracking on that. Just continuing in the same mode isn't going to fix anything and will just make you feel worse. So make a plan today: get up, eat a good breakfast, exercise, call the doctor, and start surfing online to get yourself enrolled in a program.

There are a lot of young people in your unfortunate situation. Here is my advice.. come up with a plan, pursue that plan, work hard...when you are depressed it is hard to get up, get motivated, and go. Put on a rockin song, look yourself in the mirror, tell yourself you are awesome, put on your best clothes, go out there and get a job. ANY JOB until you figure out what you really want to do. If you still find it's depression, seek professional help. Have a timeline (ie: "6 months I will work at this gas station and decide what I want to go back to school for"), VOLUNTEER...this is huge, get out there, TALK TO PEOPLE (contacts are the key to finding jobs, opportunity, and inspiration in so many cases!), explore opportunities..Depression is a real thing and I'm not trying to minimize it, but you've got all equipment right now...your young, smart, and keen... time to get out there and start using it.

Well I will have to wait until April to join school since they allow you to step in at age 21 by doing a test if you don't have the qualification. I know I can beat the test and get in, I'm just not old enough yet. I'm not going to waste money on a study that takes 3-4 years to get papers when I'm a few months away from joining in for a higher degree. I do have a plan regarding school, but the time in between is killing me. I really underestimated getting a job...

Well I will have to wait until April to join school since they allow you to step in at age 21 by doing a test if you don't have the qualification. I know I can beat the test and get in, I'm just not old enough yet. I'm not going to waste money on a study that takes 3-4 years to get papers when I'm a few months away from joining in for a higher degree. I do have a plan regarding school, but the time in between is killing me. I really underestimated getting a job...

Get a job, any job, temp job, seasonal job - retailers are hiring, warehouses are hiring, moving companies always need bodies that can lift things, call centers are hiring round the clock, pet sitting/walking services, restaurants are always hiring, construction companies, receptionist jobs, etc. If you want something white collar - sales jobs. Companies are always looking for sales people. Even if you just take a commission only type thing, you'll learn a lot, get out of the house, be out with people all day long. It may take ages to close your first sale, but the experience will be worth it and last you a lifetime. For most of those jobs, if you are a warm body and mostly literate, they'll be thrilled to have you.

Why exactly can't u volunteer or get a temp job during this in between time?

Archived