NLP - Thoughts?

I had a weird experience today, I went to a client of mines office and while I was doing some work she started talking about how much she hates skype because it causes some clash between emotion and attention in the mind when there's a blur and delay in images (or something like that hard to translate).

Anyways she started telling me how she uses some NLP techniques to "blur memories" that way people don't pay so much attention to them and they just go by unnoticed. To which I responded "oh I bet lots of people that have gone through breakups want that", long story short I let her know I was dumped 8 months ago. She offered to show me some stuff she does and I thought why not let's give it a try, I'm here I got nothing to lose, I did not divulge any information about the relationship.

I'm not a believer in any of this but it does seem interesting. She took me into a room and sat me down, feet straight, arms relaxed, looking straight. She tells me she's going to run some tests on me and gives me some "scientific explanation" (I don't know up to what point it's scientifically proven but I just went along saying yes).

She had me press my index finger nail against my thumb nail (like if I we're doing an OK or forming a letter O), while she attempted to separate them. Then again with the middle finger, and the ring finger.

Then decided she was going to use my index finger, it felt like a natural lie detector it was insane. She would have me say things like "my name" while i tightened my index finger against my thumb awhile she tried to separate it, and she couldn't. She would have me say "I feel physical pain" it tightened, then "emotional pain" and it opened on emotional pain. Then "I feel sadness", "I feel frustration" and another set of emotions. She went through at least 20 - 30 questions. "I feel hurt because of the past", "present", "future", "okay so future, 21 to 32", "21", "22", "23" and stopped.

Apparently your fingers split easily when there's a "stress" in your body that blocks the neurological pathway and saying the thing that's bugging you puts that block there, it's how she found these components.

She eventually drilled it down to several things:

- The pain I'm going through wasn't because of pain in me it's because I absorbed pain from my ex during the relationship (I had adopted her pain as my own)

- The emotion that is keeping me down is her frustration, the frustration my ex had suffered through my relationship (read my breakdown from a few days ago and her frustration is all spelled out there)

- The future is playing a big role in this

- Specifically when I would turn 23 which is in a month, 23 would have had many implications. Moving out in to the city away from parents for the first time ever, her moving back with her sister (so we'd be 40 min away), getting a car, living more independently (none of this helped with her frustration and lack of trust in me), her turning 28 (which may have been unfair for her and me, she said she didn't want kids till 30 or so but you never know... she also felt it was unfair because she was my first gf, i was young, i hadn't lived life... scared i'd leave her to go do that, etc).

This can be very ambiguous and apply to many people yes, but I sort of liked the fact that my client (I guess I was her client now lol) identified some key components: "her" (instead of me, not my ego or pride), "future" (instead of past, or present), "frustration" (instead of sadness, anger, any other emotion), "23" (instead of any other number).

She then told me "identify her pain on your body with your hand" (as ridiculous as it sounds) I always felt something in my cheeks, down my neck, to my chest / heart, it varied but at that moment it was the cheeks. She had me hold my cheeks and then follow her hand with my eyes while she mumbled something about "23" and "her". It seemed to help alleviate some pain / sensation I was feeling (placebo? probably).

Note: I'm not saying, this is a cure all fix, or that I even need this or that it's for everyone. It's just an experience and a story to tell. The most important thing to my healing has and still will be Time + NC.

With that in mind I just thought I'd share this experience and I may give it another session or two to see if this is all that and a box of crackers, after all it's free for me. Has anyone had experience with NLP?

I've read a smidge about NLP, and it's pretty interesting. There's a book called "Introducing NLP" by O'Connor and Seymour, check it out. There are a lot of intriguing ideas, and if you read the book they actually do make sense. I'm not sure how well-researched it is, but if this "session" helped you, who cares?

I've read a smidge about NLP, and it's pretty interesting. There's a book called "Introducing NLP" by O'Connor and Seymour, check it out. There are a lot of intriguing ideas, and if you read the book they actually do make sense. I'm not sure how well-researched it is, but if this "session" helped you, who cares?

NLP really is interesting, don't know if you've ever heard of Derren Brown but he's amazing just check out this video: (his full shows are amazing, "Derren Brown Svengali" and "Derren Brown Something Wicked This Way Comes", they start off a bit boring but then they pick up especially the latter of the two)

I've learned some mentalism tricks myself but this is just a whole another level, but yeah I'm willing to give it another session even if it's not for the results it's interesting stuff.

And thanks for the recommendation, will definitely give it a look.

Archived