Can I exclude 2 from of a group of friends if they are people I'm not close to?

sammi87

Almost two yrs ago, I moved into a new house. At the time, I was warned by a close friend that two former friends of her's were also moving onto the same street. The minute she mentioned them, I remembered her confiding in me about their awful behavior. A couple months later when I met these two (sisters Barb & Madge) I realized I knew them from somewhere else- the two had once worked in my mom's office. They also caused a lot of problems there and were ultimately fired for repeated HR violations. Needless to say, I wanted no part of these two other than to be polite to them in passing.

The problem is, our neighborhood has become very close-knit over the past couple yrs. My husband and I are wonderful friends with three other couples on our street. And they, in turn, are also friends with the sisters. So far, I have only seen Barb and Madge start trouble within this group once... An instance they apologized for and were sort of able to explain away... However, it was enough to convince me they have not changed their ways.

I don't believe it is my place to fill the rest of the 'nabe in on Barb & Madge's true nature. Everyone involved is an adult and I feel it's something people need to find out for themselves. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to embrace this duo along with everyone else... We're hosting a big Holiday party in a couple weeks, and want to invite 4 out of 6 couples on our block. Neither my friend or my mom wish to see these two girls and frankly, I don't want them snooping around my house/life (not paranoia- they've done it before).

How should I do this and what do I say if one of our other neighbors asks why we've left them out?

Why would you be expected to invite people you barely know into your own home?

I would not sweat over this for one second. "It's your party, and you cry if you want to, cry if you want to..." (song reference). Think of this way, would you invite a homeless guy that you see on your street everyday, but don't know too well for brunch?

I guess I feel obligated because they are a part of a group that sticks together so we have socialized with them at a number of things. They have also issued invites to us for a couple of their parties in the past. We always get out of it with an excuse. I guess I'm expecting our mutual friends to look around and say something like..."Hey, where are B & M tonight"? And awkward silence begins, lol!

Archived