Cat likes to sit on microwave?

Robin2904

I tried to Google this to see if there was anything and some horrifying news articles involving the words 'cat' and 'microwave' came up and lets just say I don't want to revisit Google again with those two words in the same sentence...so thought I would come here for help!

Might be a bit of a bizarre question, but my cat likes to sit on top of the microwave, he's only started doing this the past week or so. I have other cats and he likes to find his 'alone' space in the house and often moves around to find somewhere away from them (he's a grumpy old man at times- he's 14 and my other cats are fairly young) anyway I was starting to wonder if that's a bad spot for him- on top of the microwave? Considering radiation- he will sit up there while I'm cooking food inside the microwave sometimes. Is that bad for him? Sorry of this is a stupid question, I really don't know anything about this sort of thing, just don't want to hurt my little fur baby!

Yes almost any pet store covers a selection of cat trees. My cats love theirs. Plus they also use it as a scratching post and therefore don't scratch furniture. A lot of cats love to be up high. It boosts their self-esteem and makes them feel safe. A cat's self-esteem is boosted when they have a place to call their own.

Aww, I have a soft spot for older kitties. I think the cat tree - and maybe his own bed/hangout besides if you are up for that - would really help!

Yeah, they really like having a spot that is 'only' theirs. And if they get stressed, knowing they can go there. And no one will bug them.

He might be trying to get some attention too. You are there cooking - maybe he wouldn't mind some extra lovin' with the other little guy around.

As I type this, my cat is perched on my head purring away. Perched up high and getting strokes. lol.

My only worry would be when you open the door that some cat fur can be falling into your food! Otherwise, definitely +1 on the cat tree...although I found with my cats they always would go for the new thing to sit on...or wherever the highest spot in the house was.

If you don't necessarily have space for a big cat tree, you can put something like this which doesn't take any floor space...my cats invaded all my bookshelves

image removed

Archived