Overthinking

BellaLaBella

We had a company dinner and there is this lady that I don't really like at work and everyone knows. We had 3 tables put together when I came in I didn't see that there were 2 seats at the other end of the table that probably my 2 friends save for me and my husband. I only saw it after I picked my seat but still wasn't sure as there was a jacket behind the seat so I sat down at the other end accross from the lady I don't like. Somehow this is bothering me that I wish we moved our seats because I was accross from the person I don't like and had to talk with her but felt like everyone felt weird that I talk with her. Anyways, i don't know why this is bothering me it is probably because I have mentioned I wouldn't talk to her and just ignore her but it was hard without being rude. I wish I had avoided her but I didn't. Is there something wrong with me? Did I just become fake? my husband said Its no big deal that they shouldn't be mad. That they should have told us that they have saved seats for us but it wasn't obvious coz there was a jacket behind the chair and then until later they came over to my table. I feel bad that I should have had hang out with them but I feel like it was rude to move seats what will the person will say next to me if I had. Anyways what do u guys think? Am I over thinking this?

Overthinking. You handled the situation as best you could at the time and I doubt I would have done it any differently. You weren't being fake, you were being polite considering the circumstances. It would have been extremely awkward for everyone had you been rude or blatantly ignored this lady during a work party, unprofessional, too. If you feel you need to explain to your friends, just tell them you didn't see the saved seats and once you sat down didn't want to ruffle feathers by moving.

News on this. My friend said that I made it feel awkward on them. And they saw how bored my husband was coz he was at that end of the table not knowing anyone. They made it sound like I didn't handle it correctly by sitting there. They said I should have moved and they said I should have asked where I should sit. I don't know I didn't think anything of it. Only after when everyone felt awkward am I thinking so much of it. I wish too that switched seats and made it more comfortable for me and my husband and people not talking so much after.

Archived