In keeping with the other challenges! 30 day healthy eating challenge!

Ok, so my doctor has suggested this "lifestyle change" as opposed to a diet.

In a nutshell - my eating habits need to evolve to approximately the following:

2-3 servings of lean protein daily of 4-5 oz per serving. This includes dairy and eggs. Recommended - 4 per week should be fish.

4-6 servings of vegetables daily. Pretty much any green veg except beans and peas count, including cabbage and cauliflower.

2-3 servings of complex carbs. Wheat bread, corn, peas, carrots, brown rice, pasta. 1/2 cup cooked or 1 bread slice = serving

5 fat servings daily. 1 tsp marg, 1-2 tbsp salad dressing or sauce

1 serving fruit every 2 days

1 "cheat" a week - alcoholic beverage, cookies, candy, cake, chips

128 oz water daily

No calorie counting

I don't think he expects perfection (fror which I'm grateful) but I've been working on trying to make my balance close to this.

And I'm desperately looking for any creative ideas on making the veg heavy part more exciting.

Anyone else interested in healthier eating and giving me some extra incentive?

Haven't tried them that way, or shredded with bacon.

Mom used to make them plain boiled or steamed, and this time was frozen with a lemon butter sauce. The bitter aftertaste seems to get me every time - but I always try new ways in hopes it'll change things

I noticed in the recipe comments that removing the "choke" (stem) part seemed to take away the bitterness for some? Know if that works? That seems to be the part I have the most issue with - so if it's worth trying, I'll get some and remove those like I would with a cabbage before cooking and see how it affects the taste!

I have some in the oven right now. You brought up Brussel sprouts made me want some. If they are big enought I half each one. I only slice off the stem part if it's poking out too much. I only had to do that to about six out of 30 in this batch. I'm not eating like I should just yet. I'll go "fat smash" (not the book...I just like the term) soon.

Thanks for posting your lifestyle diet, Mes! Looks very healthy to me-

I made Brussels sprouts recently and my son told me that some people don't like Brussels sprouts because of a genetic bitterness gene they are born with. Here is a link to an article:

link removed

I hadn't ever heard of that, but it probably explains why I never liked Brussels sprouts. I tried roasting them because people said that was a delicious recipe but they were still bitter. But my guests ate 3 helpings of them!

Wow, that makes me feel better actually. My MIL and SIL are crazy about them and don't know what I'm talking about when I say they're bitter - they say they just get a slight earthy taste, like cabbage - and I love cabbage.

I don't mind the initial flavor - it's the aftertaste, or end taste, that to me is bitter and metallic.

And I have to wonder if it relates to why I find most sugar substitutes bitter and unpalatable as well. I finally found one that tastes ok to me - the one made from monkfruit. The others taste very "chemically" to me - the initial taste is good, but the later taste is just horrid.

I've found I can tolerate sucralose if it's in something that has a bitter natural flavor, like coffee or some fruit flavored waters. But in other things it just tastes like watered down saccharine.

On a different note - since I did find a sugar sub I like, I'm going to start upping my fruit just a little to compensate for some veg variety. The best I ever did losing weight was when I was eating a ton of apples - so something in apples and my system like each other apparently.

I bought some fresh tilapia for dinner and haven't had time to cook it up yet -_- going to try a modified version of a recipe I found that sounds good - I'm going to try to bake it in a parmesan-onion-panko light crusting, and have mushrooms and spinach on the side. I'll let you know how it turns out

Tilapia was really good, though I'm going to have to try something to make the parmesan stick a little better.

Ended up sharing it with my FIL - who adores fish. So I think I'll make that a weekly event, cook fish and share with him.

Tried a different sugar sub to have one to carry in purse. Skinny Girl - Agave Nectar with Stevia Extract.

*Makes bitter beer face*

OMFG... it was VILE. Ever had to take that prescription cough syrup that tastes like something unmentionable? That was the aftertaste.

YUCK!!! 4 bucks spent or not, into the dumpster it goes.

So far I'm down 4 pounds from last Wednesday.

Seems giving up my sweet tea (my main sugar source) was the trick. Sigh.

I've been using the gym scales since they seem a LOT more consistent and accurate than mine - mine seems to stay the same no matter what, so I think something's wrong with the electronics (doc scale and gym scale agree).

Adding the fruit back in seems to help with motivation - and with no other sugar items for anything, sure isn't hindering the loss, and helps with keeping that mass amount of veg vitamins going. Pears and apples are in season and the pears have been yummy. I was really disappointed in the Jazz apples I bought this time. Usually they're my fave, so crisp and flavorful, but this last batch was actually spongy. Yuck.

Ate too many potatoes yesterday (roasted, not fried) but thankfully the workout seems to have made forgiveness possible

Archived